How to Add Apps to a Roku Device or Roku TV
Roku has been a popular streaming device for some time now. People who are looking to cut the cord with their cable providers and enjoy an affordable, easy-to-use online TV experience find Roku provides just that.
But did you know that you can add a multitude of channels to your Roku?
This article will show you how to add apps to Roku to boost your streaming experience.
How to Add Official Apps to a Roku Device
Roku provides a cheaper, convenient way to watch TV without cable. You can install channels onto your Roku device that will give you access to all the shows and movies from popular networks and platforms like NBC, CBS, and Hulu.
Installing new channels to your Roku device works pretty much like adding apps to your smartphone. In Roku language, all apps are called channels, even though they may not be streaming live content. A channel can also be a tool that can help you get the most out of your Roku device. A good example would be Screen Cast which lets you cast a video from your mobile device to your TV using a Roku device.
You can add apps to Roku from their app store in three different ways: using the Roku Mobile app, using your Roku device, or visiting the Roku website.
Let’s see how each approach works.
How to Add Apps Using the Roku Mobile App
The Roku mobile app presents an innovative and convenient way to enjoy your Roku device. With the app, you can control your TV from anywhere in the world. It lets you pause, play, rewind and fast forward as you like. You can also launch your most recent channels just with your voice.
The Roku mobile app is especially handy when you want to add apps to your Roku device. These apps could include a new game for your kids or a fancy channel airing your favorite new show. It could even be an all-music channel letting you enjoy authentic, soothing music from your favorite artists. Whatever the case, adding apps to your Roku device has never been easier.
To add an app using the Roku mobile app:
- Launch the app.
- Scroll down the Home Menu and tap on “Channels.”
- Tap on “Channel Store.” This should launch the official Roku app store, where you can find hundreds of apps and tools. You may be prompted to sign into your Roku account before the app store opens.
- Scroll through the list to find the app you’d like to add.
- Tap on “+ Add Channel” to add the channel to your device. If you want to find out more about an app before adding it, simply tap on “Details.”
- If the channel is free, it should download and install on your device right away. If it’s a paid channel, you’ll be redirected to the purchases page to complete the purchase before downloading the channel.
The Roku mobile app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
How to Add Apps Using the Roku Website
If you don’t fancy using the mobile app, the Roku website is where you can go to find all the apps available for your Roku TV. All you need to do is sign into your account and add any app that you want. Here are the steps:
- Visit https://channelstore.roku.com/ and enter your account information to sign in.
- Browse through the categories to find the channel you wish to add. If you know the channel by name, you can enter the name in the search bar at the top of the page.
- Click on “Details” to find out more about the channel, such as what it features and pricing information.
- Click on “+ Add Channel” to add the channel to your device. Free channels will be added right away, but subscription-based channels can only be added after you’ve made the required payments. All paid channels come with simple on-screen instructions on how to go about it.
How to Add Apps Using Your Roku Device
If you haven’t installed the Roku mobile app and perhaps don’t have time to visit the official Roku website, you can conveniently add channels using your Roku device. This is how you do it:
- Open the Home menu on your device using your Roku remote.
- Select “Streaming Channels” from the sidebar on the left. This should launch the Roku app store.
- If you know the name of the channel you’d like to add, enter it in the search box, and the channel’s submenu should open in a few moments. Otherwise, browse through the categories to find the channel you’d like to add.
- When you find the channel you want, press “Ok” to view its synopsis.
- When you’re ready to add the channel, select “Add channel.” However, subscription-based channels come with a “Buy” button. Before installation begins, you’ll also be prompted to enter your PIN if you’ve already created one for your Roku account.
How to Add Apps via Downloader to a Roku Device
You can download and install non-certified channels to your Roku device through the Roku website, otherwise known as the downloader option. But first, what’s the difference between certified and non-certified channels?
Certified channels are official channels on the Roku device, which the company has approved. Non-certified channels are those that someone has created but not yet submitted to be certified. They exist because Roku allows developers to distribute newly created channels to a limited number of users for testing. A non-certified channel is not available on the Roku app store and can only be downloaded using a dedicated channel code (e.g., PG184).
To add non-certified channels to a Roku device:
- Visit http://my.roku.com/ on your phone or computer and enter your account details to sign in.
- Under the “Manage Account” tab, select “Add Channel Code.”
- Enter the channel code provided by the developer and then select “Add Channel.”
- You’ll be prompted to acknowledge that you’re about to install a non-certified channel. Once that’s out of the way, the channel will download and install on your Roku device.
All newly downloaded channels are added to your Home screen on your Roku device. The newest channel appears at the bottom of the list.
Can you install an APK on a Roku device?
The answer is no; you can’t install an APK (Android Package Kit) on a Roku device because Roku is a closed operating system. You can’t download and install apps that aren’t in the Roku app store or the non-certified channel list.
However, some users have been able to install APK files (which extend the device’s features) on Roku and run them using hacked software. This is not recommended as there is no guarantee that such hacks will continue to work with future updates.
Can you install third party apps on a Roku?
Yes, you can, but you can only do so if the app is on the non-certified list of apps that developers have submitted for approval.
What are the 10 most popular Roku apps?
The 10 most popular Roku apps as of August 2021 are as follows:
2. Amazon Video
5. Disney Plus
7. HBO GO/NOW
8. PBS and PBS Kids
9. YouTube Channel
Improve Your Viewing Experience
Whether you’re looking for new ways to enjoy your favorite content or want to explore something different, Roku offers a wide variety of channels that can be added in just a few clicks. In this article, we’ve outlined the steps to add apps to your Roku device to improve your viewing experience and get the most out of Roku.
What’s your favorite channel on Roku? Let us know in the comments section below.