How to Make a Poll on Snapchat
You’re probably aware that Facebook polls are easy to post and very engaging. Instagram introduced its poll feature in October 2017, and it was an immediate success. Twitter polls are also extremely popular, and they cover both fun topics and serious ones. Why are polls so popular on social media?
People like answering questions and making snap decisions. They like expressing their opinions, especially when there’s a quick and easy way to do that. Running a poll is an entertaining way to get in touch with your followers. It can also help you attract new ones. Some polls start conversations, while some simply give people a fun question to think about.
If you mainly use Snapchat for your social media, however, you’ll be dismayed to learn that the app doesn’t currently have the option to let you create polls for your friends and followers. You can fill out polls that are posted to Snapchat Discover. But if you want to run a poll of your own, you have to use a third-party system.
There are many poll-making apps and websites to choose from. The following tutorial focuses on PollsGo, but the same basic steps apply to any poll maker.
Using PollsGo (Web Browser)
With PollsGo, there are three types of questions that you can create:
- Personal Question: Here, you can choose between eight personal questions. Some of the questions invite honesty – for example, you can ask “Who am I to you?” or “One thing I need to work on”. On the other hand, some questions are more lighthearted, like asking your followers to determine which movie genre suits you the best.
- Group Question: Group questions refer to your group’s dynamics. Here, your poll participants can give their anonymous opinions about other group members. For example, one of the questions is “Who would survive longest in a zombie apocalypse?” This option is more interesting if you have a closed group of Snapchat followers. Again, it’s possible to change any question after you have selected it.
- Your Own Question: Generating your own question is probably the option you will be using the most often. After all, the stock PollsGo questions would get boring if you didn’t include unique questions too. Ask something that is close to your followers’ interests.
PollsGo polls can contain multiple questions. But this isn’t true for all poll apps and websites. In some cases, you can only link to individual questions. Do you want your poll participants to view the results immediately? Or would you rather be the only person who has access to that data? This polling application gives you the option to choose whether your participants can see the results or not.
Both approaches can be interesting. If you opt to let your followers see the results after the vote, you get an immediate discussion topic. On the other hand, it can be fun to define a limited voting period and share the results with your followers after that.
PollsGo is a user-friendly way to make polls. Here’s how to make a poll using the site on your mobile device.
- Open pollsgo.com on your computer or the web browser on your smartphone.
- Tick the box if you do want poll respondents to see how the poll is going. Now it’s time to put your poll together. While it’s fun to stick to one theme with all your questions, you can also create an engaging poll if you combine personal and generic questions.
- After you have selected a question, it’s time to give your poll respondents options to choose from. If you selected a Personal Question, you can pick a few stock replies. But again, you can change or delete any of the website’s suggestions. You can’t add more than six options. Additionally, there need to be at least two options for every question, though it’s fine if the options are identical.
- This is also where you can change the background color of your questions. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to add images to your polls in PollsGo.
- Some poll apps and websites help you out by giving you ideas for questions to ask. This is a large part of why Polly was so popular. That app offered a very wide selection of interesting, teen-appropriate poll questions for you to choose from.
- Now PollsGo will create the poll for you to share with your Snapchat followers. There will be a URL that you can copy. There are also buttons that let you share the poll on various social media, including Snapchat, but all this does is copy the link to your clipboard anyway.
- From here, open up Snapchat on your device and begin creating a snap. You’ll need to use the paperclip icon to the right of the app in order to paste your link.
- With your link shared, you can decorate and customize your Snap however you want. We recommend telling people to scroll up in order to vote in your poll.
- Once you’ve sent your Snap to users and posted it on your story, your Snapchat community will be able to use PollsGo to vote right on their phone, and you can use the link within the poll to check the results.
LMK: Anonymous Polls (App)
If you’re looking for a polling application to use on your mobile device, one of the more notable options is LMK: Anonymous Polls (available on iOS here and Android here). This application is available on the App Store and the Google Play Store.
Unfortunately, customizing your polls comes with a price on this app. At $7.99/mo. you can make your own customer stickers (this is what the apps refer to as polls), add photos, have unlimited posts, and more options for the system-generated stickers.
This app does have some free poll options that are kind of neat, making the free option fun if that’s what you’re looking for. The free option includes relationship topics such as: “How long can you go without talking to me?” and “How attractive am I?”
The poll isn’t anonymous but the responses are. If you’re looking for feedback and would like to know who it’s coming from this isn’t the app for you.