How to Find Apps on a Samsung Smart TV
Samsung offers over 200 apps on their Smart TVs, including games, music, video, sports, education, lifestyle, and other categories. The process of finding and downloading these apps is relatively simple, and it will only take you a couple of minutes. You can also delete, lock, and auto-update all the apps on your Samsung Smart TV.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to find, install, and open apps on your Samsung Smart TV. We’ll also cover the process of searching for apps on an older Samsung Smart TV.
How to Search for Apps to Install on a Samsung Smart TV
You can only install apps from Samsung’s App Store onto your device. The exact steps may vary since newer models have different software versions. Keep in mind that you need a Samsung account to download apps on your Samsung Smart TV.
To search for apps and install them on your Samsung Smart TV, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Press the “Home” button on your directional pad.
- Press the “Left” arrow button on your directional pad to scroll through the menu.
- Find “Apps” and press the “Center” button. You’ll be taken to the App Store.
- Search for the app you want to install in the recommended categories. Use the “Right” and “Left” arrow buttons on your directional pad to scroll through the apps.
- You can also search for apps by selecting the magnifying glass in the upper-right corner of your screen. Use the directional pad to type in the title of the app.
- When you find the app you want to download, press the “Center” button on your directional pad.
- Use the same button to select “Install” on the app details screen.
Once you select the “Install” button, the app is immediately installed on your Samsung Smart TV. For easier access, select the “Add to Home” button. This step is optional, but if you skip it, then you’ll need to go to the App Store to search for the app every time you want to use it.
Note: Most apps in the App Store are free, but others may require an additional fee.
Once you install the app, you can open it right away. You will need to sign in for certain apps before you install them on your Samsung Smart TV. To do this, use your directional pad to type in your email and password. When you’re done, proceed to the “Sign in” button in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
The process of finding and installing apps may vary, depending on the model you have. For instance, the “Apps” tab can sometimes be in the bottom-right corner of your screen. On some Samsung Smart TVs, there will be more categories of recommended apps, such as My Apps, What’s New, Most Popular, Video, Lifestyle, Entertainment, and more.
How to Open Apps on a Samsung Smart TV
Once you’ve successfully installed an app on your Samsung Smart TV, there are a couple of ways to access it. The first method is through the Home screen. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press the “Home” button on your directional pad.
- Use the directional pad to go to the ribbon menu where all your apps are.
- When you find the app that you want to open, highlight it.
- Press the “Center” button on your directional pad to open it.
installed it. In that case, you will have to search for it again. Check out these steps to find your app again:
- On your Home screen, go to the ribbon menu.
- Press the “Left” arrow button until you find “Apps.”
- Highlight that tab and press the “Center” button on your directional pad.
- Go to the magnifying glass in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Use your directional pad to type in the name of the app.
- Proceed to the app detail screen.
- Highlight the “Open” tab and press the “Center” button.
What happens if you can’t find the app in the search function? If this happens, then the app is “retired.” Samsung removes or “retires” apps that are not frequently used or apps that need improvement.
If you try to open a specific app and it’s not working, you can try one of these troubleshooting tips:
- Cold boot the Samsung Smart TV.
- Make sure if the app needs to be updated.
- Update the TV’s software.
- Restart your TV.
- Delete the app and install it again.
If you don’t need an app, you can delete it with a push of a button. To do this, go to the Smart TV’s Settings and find the app you want to delete. Once you’ve located the app, highlight it, and select the “Delete” button.
Most Popular Apps
As mentioned before, there are over 200 apps that are available on your Samsung Smart TV. The majority of these apps may not be available for older Samsung Smart TV models, and some older apps may not be available for the newest models.
Here are some of the most popular apps you can download on your Samsung Smart TV: Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, PlayStation Now, YouTube TV, Spotify, Hulu, Vudu, HBO GO, iPlayer, Sling, and many more.
Here are the most popular apps grouped into different categories:
- Sports apps: UFC.TV, MYZEN.TV, Cricket DL Calci, WWE Network, Workout Time Recorder, Vroom.GP, Personal Fit Stretching for Running.
- Video apps: Amazon Video Prime, Netflix, YouTube, YouTube Kids, BBC News, FilmBox Live, 3D Smart TV, Digital Theatre.
- Lifestyle apps: Facebook Samsung, Blue Sky, Deezer, Calm Radio, Facebook Album, CloudMe, SamsungMyRecipe, Smart LED.
- Education apps: ABC Monster Fun, Constellations, KiddyMatch, Millenium Maths, MorseCode, Nursery Island, Best Kids Songs, GRE Flash Cards.
- Information apps: Money Control, Mercedes-Benz, Did You Know, The Weather Network, AccuWeather, Web Browser, PressReader.
Remember, though, that not all these apps will work on every Samsung Smart TV model.
Where do I find apps on an older Samsung Smart TV?
If you have an older Samsung Smart TV, then accessing and installing apps might look slightly different. For 2011–2014 Smart Hub TV interfaces, searching for apps is similar to what we explained at the beginning of the article.
To look for apps on 2011-2014 Samsung Smart TV models, follow the steps below:
1. Turn on your TV.
2. Press the “Home” button on your directional pad.
3. Go to the “Apps” section on the ribbon menu.
4. You’ll see the “Recommended Apps” section, as well as “My Apps,” “Most Popular,” “What’s New,” and “Categories” sections.
5. Highlight one of them to find an app of interest.
6. Press the “Center” button on your directional pad.
7. Go to “Install.”
That’s all there is to it. Repeat the same process for all the apps you want to install.
If you have an even older Samsung Smart TV model (those produced before 2011), you’ll have to go about this in another way. To find and access an app, you will need to visit “Internet @TV.” There should be an “Internet @TV” button on your remote control. If there isn’t one, then you need to press the “Content” button and then proceed to the “Internet @TV” icon on your TV.
All the available apps are sorted there. If you find an app you’d like to download, highlight it, and install it on your Samsung Smart TV. Even if you have an older model, you will still need a Samsung account to download any app on your Smart TV.
Also, if you have an older model Samsung Smart TV, there won’t be enough room to install many apps. The good news is you can delete the apps currently installed to free up space.
Install All Your Favorite Apps on Your Samsung Smart TV
Once you’ve figured out how to find apps, you can install them on your Samsung Smart TV with minimal effort. Remember to pin newly installed apps on your Home screen for easy access and enable the auto-update feature so that they can function at optimal speed.
Have you ever installed an app on your Samsung Smart TV? Did you use the same method outlined in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.