How to Download YouTube on a Samsung TV
Modern Samsung TVs are versatile because they have built-in internet connectivity that supports lots of online streaming apps, including YouTube. Although YouTube might be pre-installed in some Samsung TV models, some don’t have the app. Other times, the pre-installed version of the app might malfunction and force you to uninstall it. Either way, you need to know how to download YouTube on your Samsung TV if you want to enjoy watching the videos on a larger screen and with better audio that smartphones and computers can’t offer.
If you’re stuck wondering how to download YouTube on your Samsung TV, you’re in the right place. This article will explain how to.
How to Download YouTube on Samsung TV
Before downloading YouTube on your Samsung TV, you need to check several factors. First, check whether your Samsung TV’s operating system is compatible with YouTube. Usually, YouTube supports Samsung TVs running Tizen OS 3.0 and later. Older models might allow you to download the app, but it won’t have some features, and in some cases, it’ll fail to operate.
Secondly, your internet connection should be strong and stable for the download to complete successfully. You should use an Ethernet cable instead of connecting to the Wi-Fi wirelessly. Also, ensure your device has enough storage space because the download will fail if space is limited. Finally, you’ll need a Google account to sign in to YouTube.
Once you have these factors checked, proceed as follows to download the YouTube app:
- With your Samsung TV on, grab your remote and press the “Home” button.
- Select the “Magnifying glass” to open the search bar. Type “YouTube,” and it’ll appear in the search results
- Select the app and hit the “Install” button. The download might take some time, depending on your internet strength. If instead of an “Install” button, you see an “Open” or “Uninstall” button, you have installed YouTube on your TV.
- If you want to replace the existing YouTube version, tap the “Uninstall” button and repeat the download process.
Alternatively, you can use this method:
- Turn your TV on and press the “Home” button on your remote. This will open the Smart Hub app interface.
- Use the remote arrow key to navigate to the “Samsung apps” option and hit the “Enter” key to select it.
- Scroll to the “YouTube app” and click it when you find it.
- Press the “Download” button and wait for the download to complete.
Setting Up the YouTube App on Samsung TV
If you’ve never used YouTube on your Samsung TV, you’ll need to activate it as follows:
- Open the YouTube app you just downloaded.
- Navigate to the top left or right corner and select the “Sign in” option.
- You’ll have three options to sign in to your YouTube account:
- Using the YouTube mobile app: For this method to work, ensure you have your YouTube account open on your mobile app and you’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV. A pop-up message will appear on your smartphone, prompting you to sign in to your Samsung TV. Tap “Connect.” The next prompt will ask you to connect to YouTube on your TV to your device. Select “Allow” to complete the process.
- Scanning or typing a code: Use your smartphone to scan the QR code on the screen and hit “Continue.” Alternatively, go to youtube.com/activate on your phone or PC. Enter the six-letter code on your TV, and tap “Continue.” Select the Google account you want to sign into and tap “Allow.”
- Using the remote: Type your Google account email and password and tap “Next.”
Once signed in, you can access all your YouTube content on other devices signed in to the same account, including playlists, subscriptions, and primetime channels.
Ways of Enhancing Your Samsung TV YouTube App Experience
If you’d like to make YouTube streaming more enjoyable and convenient, you can utilize the customization features available on your Samsung TV as follows:
- Enable the picture-in-picture mode: Sometimes, a conflict might occur when you want to watch YouTube but also watch something else on TV. That’s where the picture-in-picture mode comes in. It allows you to shrink the YouTube screen into a small player in the corner, while the other portion of the screen displays your other activities. However, you can’t use the picture-in-picture mode when the program rating lock, Smart Hub, and 3D features are enabled.
- Turn the autoplay on: The autoplay feature makes watching YouTube easier because you don’t have to use the remote to select another video each time the current video stops playing. For an even smoother experience, you can create playlists to watch your favorite videos in succession.
- Use voice command to browse fast: Browsing with the remote can be daunting and time-consuming. However, using Samsung smart TV’s voice command can make this process less tiring.
- Subscribe to YouTube Premium: Although YouTube’s free version gives you access to most features, one annoying thing about it is ads. This can disrupt your watching and waste time, especially when unskippable ads play continuously. Upgrading to the premium version can help you overcome this hurdle.
Problems That Might Arise on Your Samsung TV YouTube App
Most users experience a problem with YouTube failing to work after downloading. Here are some causes of this problem and how to fix them:
- Corrupted cache files: After using your YouTube for a while, your TV might store corrupted cache files related to your browsing history. You should clear these files to see if your YouTube app will work normally. To do this, turn your TV on and unplug it from the power source. After three to five minutes, reconnect it and check if your YouTube app is working correctly.
- Wrong time setting: YouTube can fail to work if your device’s time is incorrectly set. To fix this, open your TV’s “Settings” and select “System.” Click the “Timer” and then select “Clock.” Adjust the time appropriately. Try reopening the YouTube app to see if this fixes the issue.
- You haven’t installed the latest updates: Even if you’ve never used the YouTube app on your TV, the version you have might have been replaced by a newer version at some point. This brings incompatibility issues that can cause your outdated version of the YouTube app to freeze and crash. To update your app, go to the Smart Hub and open the YouTube app. On the app description, tap the “Update” button.
Is it mandatory to have a Google account when downloading YouTube on my Samsung smart TV?
YouTube offers a chance to sign in as a guest, so it’s not mandatory to have a Google account. However, you should use your Google account for a better and more personalized experience.
Can I download videos from YouTube on my Samsung TV?
You can download videos from YouTube and save them on your Samsung TV for offline access. However, the download might not be available using the free membership version.
How do I check my Samsung TV model?
The quickest way to check your Samsung TV model is to check the back of your TV. However, if you’ve mounted it on a wall and can’t view the back, press the “Menu” button on your remote and tap “Contact support.” A dialogue box will appear with your TV model details.
Get YouTube on Your Samsung TV
Most Samsung TV navigation options are hidden to keep the interface uncluttered. As such, downloading YouTube might not be a straightforward process. However, when you know where to find the download features, it’s an easy process that won’t take much of your time. The above discussion will guide you.
What’s your Samsung TV model? Does it have YouTube installed, or are you looking to install it? Let us know in the comment section below.