How to Send a Message to Yourself in Skype
Many instant messaging apps like Facebook, Telegram, Discord, and Slack give you the option to send a message to yourself. This feature is extremely useful in situations where you need to copy and paste a link, upload a file, or simply write something down that you will need later. However, does Skype offer this functionality?
In this article, we’ll go through the process of sending a message to yourself on Skype on different devices. Additionally, you’ll learn how to pin the chat with yourself for quicker access.
How to Send a Message to Yourself in Skype on a PC
The ability to send messages to yourself is handy in many situations. For example, if you’re working on two computers, you could transfer a file, a link, or a text to yourself, and open it on the other device. This also applies to situations where you want to send yourself something from a mobile device to your computer, and vice versa.
Since Skype is a video chat and instant messaging app that’s widely used in both business and online education, this feature would be of great use. Unfortunately, while many messaging apps give you the option to send messages to yourself, Skype doesn’t offer this feature. Even if you were to look up your username in the search bar, nothing would come up.
While you can’t send messages to yourself directly, there is a workaround you can use. If you were to create a group chat on Skype, and only add yourself, then you would be able to use that chat to send messages to yourself. This workaround is simple, and it will only take a minute or two of your time. What’s more, you can do it on the desktop app and on your mobile device.
To create a group chat on Skype on your laptop or computer, follow the steps below:
- Open Skype on your desktop.
- Click on the “New Chat” button on the left sidebar.
- Choose the “New Group Chat” option on the drop-down menu.
- Type in a name for the group chat. For example, “My Notes” or “Me.” You can also just enter your first and last name to avoid any confusion.
- Choose a profile picture for your group chat. If you want, you can skip this step.
- Select a color for the group chat.
- Click on the arrow button in the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Go to the “Done” button.
That’s about it. Skype gives you a list of suggested group members for your new group chat. You can even add up to 600 people. However, since you won’t be adding anyone, all you need to do is click on the “Done” button. You can start sending messages to yourself right away.
To make the personal chat even more accessible, you have the option to pin it, so it will appear at the top of your chat list every time you open Skype. This is how it’s done on the Skype desktop app:
- Open Skype.
- Go to the “Contacts” tab on the left sidebar.
- Find the group chat you just made and right-click on it.
- Select “Add to Favorites.”
Now, the chat you made for yourself will appear first in both the “Chats” and “Contacts” tabs. If you want, you can also remove the chat from your Favorites list. Just follow the same steps and select “Remove from Favorites.”
How to Send a Message to Yourself in Skype on an Android or iPhone
You can also create a group chat in Skype and only add yourself on the Skype mobile app as well. If you have an iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Skype app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “New” icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Select the “New Group Chat” option.
- Type in the group name.
- Choose a profile photo for your group chat. You can skip this step if you want to.
- Tap on the arrow icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Go straight to the “Done” button at the bottom of the screen.
Your new group chat will be opened right away. Under the chat’s name, it will say “1 participant.” Skype will instantly suggest you invite members or add existing contacts. You can ignore that notification and start sending messages to yourself right away.
If you’re an Android user, this is how you can make a group chat on the Skype mobile app:
- Open the Skype app on your Android device.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the bottom-right corner of the app.
- Choose the “New Group” option on the top-right side.
- Enter the name of your new group chat.
- Select a photo for the profile picture.
- Go to the “Next” icon.
- On the suggested contacts screen, tap on the “Done” button.
That’s all there is to it. Once you have created a group chat on Skype with only you, you can send yourself whatever you want. If you want to pin the group chat at the top of the chat list, this is how it’s done on the mobile app:
- Launch the Skype mobile app.
- Find the group chat that you want to pin.
- Press and hold the chat.
- Select “Add to Favorites.”
Now that your group chat is at the top of your chat list, you’ll be able to find it much quicker. When you need to send yourself something, or upload a file, it will take much less time to find the chat. Another great about this option is that you can create as many group chats for yourself as you want. One can be for business, one for reminders, one for personal messages, and so on.
Find a Way to Message Yourself in Skype
Even though there is no direct way to send yourself a message on Skype, you can use the workaround from this guide. By creating a group chat and only adding yourself, you’ll be able to send yourself links, files, and other types of messages. No matter which device you choose, you’ll be able to send yourself messages in a matter of moments.
Have you ever created a group chat so you could send yourself a message on Skype? What did you use the chat for? Let us know in the comments section below.