How to Set a Song as an Alarm on an Android Device
Default alarm sounds can be so dull and repetitive that you may sleep right through the alert. Which makes the risk of being late for work or school high if the sound of your alarm doesn’t snap you awake.
You can lower the risk by learning to set your favorite tune as an alarm on your device. It can be something that is sure to rouse you and get you going. Keep reading to learn how to upgrade your wake-up call and stay on schedule.
How to Set a Song as an Alarm on Android
You can easily set music as an alarm using the Clock app on your Android phone. To set a song as an alarm from a sound file on your device:
- Open the Clock app installed on your device. Perform updates to ensure you have the latest version.
- Tap “Alarm” at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap + to add an alarm. If you already have an alarm you can choose it and skip to Step 6.
- Set the time you want your alarm to sound. Be sure to set AM and PM correctly.
- Confirm “OK” to save.
- Choose the alarm you want to change.
- Tap the down arrow.
- Tap “Add New” to use a sound file from your phone (instructions are below).
- Save your changes.
To find the sound file on your phone:
- Open the File app on your phone (under “F” in the app drawer).
- You will see your downloaded files. Tap “Menu” (three horizontal lines or dots).
- Tap “Sort” to arrange the files by name, date, size, or type. Some devices use the word “Modify” instead of sort.
- Tap the file you want to open.
To set a song as an alarm using Spotify on your Android device:
- Download the latest Google Clock app from the Google Play Store. If you already have the app make sure it is updated.
- Download or update the Spotify app.
- Open the Google Clock app.
- Tap the + symbol to create a new alarm.
- Tap on the hour and minute for your alarm. Choose AM or PM.
- Leave the new alarm open and tap the bell icon.
- If asked which music you want to connect your alarm to, tap Spotify Music.
- Once connected, choose the song for your alarm using “Search” or from your playlists.
- Save your changes. The song you chose will appear next to the Spotify icon.
How to Set a Spotify Song as Alarm on an Android
You can find the Spotify for iPhones app in the App Store. To set a song from Spotify as your alarm, follow these steps:
- Download or update the Music Alarm Clock in the App store.
- Sign in to your Spotify account.
- Tap anywhere on the screen to open Settings.
- Select “Alarms.” Tap “Add” and create a new alarm.
- Set the time for your alarm.
- Select “Continue” to go to the alarm “Sound” options.
- Select “Spotify.”
- Go to “Playlist.” Tap “Add.”
- Select your song.
- Tap the “Done” button to finish the alarm sound set-up.
Your Clock app will be connected to your Spotify account. Choose songs from the music selections which will automatically populate the Clock app.
You can also use the Kello Alarm Clock app to set a song on Spotify as your alarm. You can find the app in the Apple Store. Once you’ve downloaded the app to your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Launch the Kello Alarm app.
- Select the “Alarm” tab.
- Tap the “Plus” button.
- Choose your settings for volume and recurrence.
- Tap “Sound” and choose Spotify.
- Log in to your Spotify account.
- Select a playlist. Tap “Create Alarm.”
- Press “Play” to preview your playlist.
- Choose the song you want to use for your alarm.
- Save your changes.
How to Wake Up to Music With Pandora
You can set a song as an alarm on Pandora on your iPhone or Android device. The Pandora app no longer supports an alarm clock for Android. You can use Pandora Radio music for an alarm using the Google Clock app.
To set an alarm with Pandora on an Android phone:
- Download or update the Google Clock app.
- Download or update the Pandora Radio App in the Google Play Store.
- Open the Clock app.
- Select the “Alarm” tab.
- Tap the + symbol to create your alarm.
- Select the bell icon. Choose Pandora.
- Select your favorite station or choose a Pandora recommendation.
- Tap the station to preview the alarm.
- Tap “Return” to go back to the Alarm tab.
- Set the time and other settings for your alarm.
You can set the Pandora sleep timer to automatically stop playback after a certain time. This feature works well if you are using the Continue Playing option. To use Pandora’s sleep timer:
- Open Pandora and go to “Profile.”
- Tap “Settings” (gear icon) in the top right corner.
- Tap “Sleep Timer.” Set it to stop playing after a certain time (between 15 and 60 minutes). You can view the sleep timer counting down in the Settings menu.
Set the sleep timer before you toggle the Alarm Clock on. As long as you keep your screen unlocked the timer will automatically switch to the alarm clock. Your screen must also stay on the Pandora screen.
Wake Up, Sleepyhead
Everyone deserves to wake up in good spirits and ready to take on the day. Setting a song as an alarm on your device is free and easy to do. As you’ve read, you can pull a favorite song from your phone. Or you can use songs from any music streaming service you already pay for. Why take a chance on oversleeping when you can open your eyes to the sound of music that you enjoy?
Maybe you have decided to set your alarm clock to music. Have you tried any of the suggestions in this article? Write about your experience in the comments section below.