How to Clear Recents in Snapchat
Snapchat keeps a record of everybody you snap, chat to, or add in the “Recents” section. However, this record may sometimes be inconvenient to maintain, mainly if you converse with many people or there’s a record you don’t want a significant other to see.
While some may gain comfort knowing that the app auto-deletes Snaps and Chats, others know there’s always a record.
Find out how to clear Recents from your Snapchat history and wipe the slate clean.
How to Clear Recents from Snapchat on iPhone
Clearing the “Recents” section from your Snapchat involves removing your history. If you don’t have a “History” section, you also don’t have any “Recents” to list. Start by clearing your conversations:
- Open the “Snapchat app.”
- Tap on the “gear icon” (Settings).
- Scroll down to the “Account Actions” section and select “Clear Conversations.”
- Delete individual conversations by tapping the “X” to the right of each conversation
- Clear all conversations at once by tapping the “Clear” option near the top of the screen (optional)
- You can also do a more thorough cleaning by deleting your Snapchat search history. Go to the “Profile screen” and tap on the “gear icon” (Settings).
- Tap on “Clear Search History.”
- Confirm the action by tapping “Clear.”
How to Clear Recents from Snapchat on Android
Your Snapchat “Recents” section is simply a list of your app activity, from conversations to snaps. You can’t delete the list but can delete conversations and search history.
To delete Recents Snapchat conversations:
- Open “Snapchat.”
- Tap on the “gear icon” (Settings) menu.
- Scroll down and select “Clear Conversations.”
- Tap on the “X” next to each conversation you want to delete. You can also select the “Clear” option near the top of the screen to delete them all.
To delete Snapchat “Search” history:
- Go back into the “Settings” menu.
- Scroll down and select “Clear Search History.”
- Confirm the action by tapping “Okay.”
How to Clear Recents from Snapchat on Chromebook
Like the iPhone and Android devices, clearing Snapchat Recents on Chromebook is relatively straightforward. And the steps are exactly like the ones for Android and iPhone.
- Access the “Settings” menu.
- Choose “Clear Conversations.”
- Choose to delete specific messages or clear them all at once.
- You can also delete the “Search History” for a more thorough cleaning. Go to your “Settings” menu again and, this time, tap on the “Clear Search History” option. Confirm the action, and you’re all set!
How to Clear Recents from Snapchat on Windows and Mac
If you have access to Snapchat on a Windows or Mac, you probably do it through an emulator. There’s no other way to operate the app without Android or iOS. And unlike other social media apps, it doesn’t have a dedicated web page for browsers.
You can try clearing your Conversations and Search history using the steps mentioned above, but there’s no guarantee that it will work. Snapchat is for use on a mobile device, so its emulator simulation may get a bit “iffy.” If this doesn’t work, you may need to grab your mobile device and try to clear Recents the old-fashioned way.
How to Clear Recents and Best Friends on Snapchat
Snapchat “Best Friends” are simply people whom the app sees you interacting with the most. They’re marked with emojis after you spend some time interacting with them.
Like clearing Recents, Snapchat doesn’t allow users to delete people from Best Friends. You have to go about it in a roundabout way. Here are some options:
- Interact with them less.
- Increase the levels of interaction with other people, so another name replaces theirs.
- Stop sending and receiving snaps with the person.
- Block and unblock them on the app to reset their score.
If you want to go the extra mile and clear the Recents section that they may appear in, you can delete their Conversations and your Search history.
Snapchat Recents FAQs
What exactly do Streaks and Recents mean on Snapchat?
Have you seen the fire emoji next to a friend’s name? That means that you and your friend are on a Snapstreak. Snapstreaks happen when you and that friend Snap together for over three consecutive days, less than 24 hours between each Snap. Chats don’t count when accumulating points toward a Snapstreak. On the other hand, Recents are a list of everyone you’ve ever interacted with or added, including through Snaps and Chats. Think of it as a virtual scrapbook of all your Snapchat interactions, whereas Streaks commemorate a more specific type of interaction.
How do you view old Snapchat conversations?
Snapchat auto-deletes chats sent one-on-one right after both users open them and leave the Chat. You have up to 24 hours if you change the erase rules in the Chat Settings, but that’s it. The servers for the app also auto-delete any unopened Chats after 30 days. However, you can preserve/save them by pressing and holding the Chat. Therefore, you can’t read old conversations unless you have already saved them within the allotted time.
How do you clear your Snapchat History?
To clear your Snapchat history, go to the ‘Settings” menu by tapping on the “gear icon” on your “Profile” screen. Scroll down and select “Clear Search History” and confirm the action.
How long do Recents stay on Snapchat?
Snapchat Recents remain as long as you have an account. The app records all the interactions even if the actual Snaps and Chats are long gone.
Be Careful How You Snap
One of the perks of using Snapchat is the ephemeral interactions but remember that all data gets recorded. And you can’t always hit a Delete button to take it back.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.