How to Appear Offline in Steam
Steam is an excellent resource for most gamers. Constant notifications and chats can be distracting, considering the Steam client keeps running in the background of your computer. Fortunately, the platform does a great job meeting users’ needs.
Keep reading to learn how to appear offline on Steam. We’ll also teach you other helpful tips as we move through our tutorials.
How to Appear Offline on PC
With so many people on Steam at any given moment, chances are some of your friends will see you’re online and hit you up to see if you want to play. If you don’t want to be bothered, you can change your status to Away, Invisible, Busy, or Offline.
To change your online status on Steam, do this:
- Open Steam on your computer and log in if required.
- Click the “Friends” tab from the top menu.
- Next, select the appropriate option from the dropdown menu.
You will now appear offline to everybody on Steam. However, if you still want to chat, you’ll need to tap on Invisible instead of Offline.
When you’re ready to communicate with your friends again, click on the Friends & Chat box again. Then, click the down arrow. Select the option that suits your needs.
When the Steam main window is not visible, you can make yourself appear offline using this shortcut as well:
- Click the downward-pointing arrow next to your profile image in the chat window.
- Select the “Invisible” option from the dropdown menu that appears to continue talking to friends. Select “Offline” to go offline.
How to Appear Offline on a Mac
Mac users can also appear offline, but the steps are slightly different from those for PC users. If you’re a Mac user, do this:
- Open Steam and sign in if you aren’t already.
- Click on Friends in the Mac menu bar at the top.
- Click on Offline in the menu.
If you want to continue chatting with friends, select Invisible instead of Offline.
To switch your offline status back to Online or one of the other options, do this:
- Open the Friends & Chat window. Tap on the down arrow icon at the top.
- Click the appropriate status in the menu.
How to Appear Offline on Mobile
You probably have the Steam app installed on your mobile device. But, the native Steam app doesn’t offer the option to appear Offline, nor does the status change on the mobile app if you set it on a PC or Mac. But, you can change your online status using the Steam Chat app. Here’s how:
Note: The Steam Chat app only lets users switch to Invisible or Online.
- Install the Steam Chat app from the Google Play Store or Apple’s App Store.
- Sign into your Steam account. Then, tap on the menu icon in the upper left corner.
- Tap on Invisible or Online.
If you’re using the mobile version of Steam, you can’t change your online status. But, the Steam Chat app does let you go Invisible. It’s also a simpler interface making it easier to chat with friends.
Steam Status Options Explained
Aside from Offline, you’ll see a few other options to choose from as your status on Steam. While the offline status sends a clear message that you aren’t available, there are others that send a similar message but still allow you to communicate with others.
Here is what the different statuses mean:
- Online – Online means you’re active and indicates you’re open to communicating with your friends.
- Away – Away means your account is online, but you’re AFK (away from keyboard) at the moment. This status lets others know you’ve been online and you will be back, but you may not respond immediately.
- Invisible – The Invisible status tells others you’re offline. But, you can still send and receive chats. This is a great option for those who want to hide from some of their friends, but not all of them.
- Offline – Offline simply means you’re not online and actively open to chatting.
- Do Not Disturb – Do Not Disturb hides messages and communications so you can play your games in peace.
Frequently Asked Questions
Steam is a great resource for gamers. If you have more questions about the Offline status, keep reading.
What does Invisible mean?
Invisible is similar to the Offline status, but with one key difference; you can still chat with your friends. If you don’t want anyone bothering, swap over to Offline. But, if you only want to communicate with some of your Steam friends, select Invisible.
Will I receive notifications if I’m offline?
No. When you select the Offline option, you won’t receive any notifications.
Why don’t I have the option to change my status on the Steam mobile app?
If you don’t see the option to go Invisible, Offline, etc., it’s because you aren’t using the Steam Chat app. There are two separate versions of Steam for mobile devices. Ensure you’re using the Chat app.
Can I set my status to Offline for only one friend?
Unfortunately, no. You cannot set a custom status for each of your friends. But, you can silence notifications for one person. Here’s how:
1. Click the dropdown arrow to the right of your friend’s screen name in the Steam chatbox.
2. Click Notifications.
3. Uncheck the box next to Use my default notification settings.
4. Uncheck the boxes next to When I receive a direct chat message.
5. Click Confirm.
Although the user can see you’re online (or whatever your default status is), you won’t receive any notifications if they try to communicate with you.
Staying Below Radar
Thanks to the “Invisible” and “Offline” features of Steam’s chat, you can now get your work done without distractions. Of course, this will also help you focus while playing your favorite games.
Have you managed to make yourself appear offline on Steam? In which situations do you do that? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.