How to Tag After Posting on Facebook
So, you uploaded a group photo and forgot to tag a friend? Don’t worry; you can rectify the situation before they even notice. Facebook lets you edit all your timeline posts, even if they’re several years old. Of course, that includes adding tags and mentions.
With Facebook, nothing is set in stone. You can make changes to status updates, individual photos, and even entire albums. In this article, we’ll show you how to tag someone after posting on Facebook with different devices. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions for both the web and mobile versions of the app.
How to Tag Someone on Facebook After Posting (Windows 10, macOS)?
You can access Facebook with pretty much every popular browser app. So far, only Messenger has an official desktop version, but that’s hardly an issue. Recent upgrades have made Facebook’s interface even more user-friendly.
One of the many nifty features is the advanced suggestion tool. When you upload a photo with more than one person, Facebook uses face recognition to tag their profile automatically. It can save you a lot of time, especially when it comes to group photos. Of course, it’s not 100% reliable, mainly if the facial features are less visible.
Luckily, you can just add the missing tags yourself. The most convenient way is to do it with your PC or Mac since the desktop mode is more viewable. Just follow these simple steps:
- Got to Facebook and log in to your account by entering your email address and password.
- Click on the downward arrow in the top-right corner of the screen. To view your profile, click on your profile picture.
- Scroll through your timeline and find the photo you want to tag. Click on the small tag icon in the upper-right corner.
- Select the person you want to tag with your cursor. Type their name in the small search box.
- Choose their profile from the list of suggestions and click “Finished Tagging.”
Remember, there’s a limit to how many friends you can tag in one photo. As of now, Facebook has a limit of 50 people on one post. On the plus side, you can tag entire photo albums, even after they’re already up on your timeline. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your Facebook account with your preferred browser.
- Go to your profile and scroll to the “Photos” section. Click “See All Photos” in the top-right corner.
- Open the “Albums” tab. Browse and click on the one you want to tag.
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the upper-right corner. Select “Edit Album” from the drop-down list.
- A new window will open. Click on the description box under the album name. Use the “@” symbol and type your friend’s username. You can tag more than one person.
- If you want the person to manage the album as well, add them as a “Contributor.”
- When you’re done, click the “Save” button at the bottom of the window.
How to Tag Someone on Facebook After Posting (Android, iOS)?
Of course, there’s a Facebook mobile app available for both iOS and Android devices. You can download the official version for free from Google Play and the App Store, respectively. Here’s how to get the Android edition:
- Tap the Google Play Store icon on your home screen.
- Enter “Facebook” in the search bar above. It’s very likely the app will appear in the “Recommended for You” section.
- Tap the green “Install” button under the app info.
- Wait a few seconds for the download to finish, then tap “Open.”
- Enter your email address and Facebook password to log in to your account.
And, for iPhone users:
- Open the App Store app by tapping on the icon on your home screen.
- Use the search function to find Facebook.
- Since it’s a free app, tap “Get” under the info.
- Log in to your account to finish the set-up.
After you downloaded the app, you can now manage your timeline posts without a hitch. Every feature is available, including adding tags and mentions after posting. The interface is pretty much identical for both iOS and Android, so these steps apply to all devices:
- To launch Facebook, tap the icon on your home screen or app library.
- At the top of the News Feed, tap on your tiny profile picture.
- Scroll through your timeline and tap on the photo you want to tag.
- Tap on the tag icon at the top-right corner of the screen. Then tap on the friend you want to tag.
- Start typing their username in the small search box. Usually, they’ll come up as a top search result.
- To finish tagging, just tap on the name. Sadly, the 50 tags per photo limit still stand.
Also, there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to tag existing albums with your phone:
- Open the Facebook app and go to your timeline.
- Scroll down and tap the “Photos” tab.
- Go to “Albums” and open the one you want to edit.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, tap on the three horizontal dots. Select “Edit” from the drop-down window.
- Under the album title, tag your friend by typing “@” before their name.
Facebook Tagging FAQs
How Do You Add a Website as a Tag?
You can’t really tag third-party websites on Facebook, meaning the person or company has to have an official Facebook page. If they do, you can use the “@” command to mention them in posts, photos, or even comments. It’s pretty straightforward:
1. Go to your timeline and open the post you want to tag.
2. If it’s a photo, tap on the tag icon at the top of the screen. Then tap the part where you want the tag to appear and enter the page name.
3. If it’s a shared post or status update, tap the three horizontal dots in the upper-right corner. Enter the page name after the “@” symbol.
Keep in mind that some pages don’t allow mentions nor tags. If someone doesn’t want their profile or page appearing in your post, the Facebook link won’t work.
Can You Edit the Tags You Already Added After Posting?
As we established, you can tweak your Facebook posts even after they’re made public. That means you can change the privacy settings, upload photos or videos, and, of course, tag friends.
And you can remove tags after posting just as quickly. It’s convenient for those of us with clumsy fingers, not to mention the occasional touch screen slip-ups. If you end up tagging the wrong person, just do the following:
1. Go to your Facebook profile and open your timeline.
2. Find the photo you want to edit and click to open.
3. Click on the tagged profile or page within the photo. Then click the small “x” next to the username.
4. To remove tags from a regular post, open the drop-down menu and select “Edit Post.” Then simply delete the mentions.
It’s Never Too Late to Tag Along
Facebook is very lenient toward editing posts, allowing you to change them even after uploading. There’s plenty of options available, and adding tags is one of them.
Usually, Facebook will automatically tag friends that appear in your photos. However, despite the stellar face recognition technology, oversights can happen. That’s why you’re able to add and remove tags after the matter. Just make sure to stick to the “50 tags per post” limit, and you’ll be fine.
How much time do you spend scrolling through Facebook? What are your thoughts on face recognition? Comment below and tell us your experience with one of the most popular social media platforms in the world.