How to Tell if Someone Viewed Your Facebook Profile
Considering just how much information and personal details each Facebook account has, it’s not unreasonable to get worried about your privacy from time to time. Since some Facebook info is public no matter what your privacy settings are, people can visit your account and always find something new.
Contrary to popular belief, as a Facebook account holder you do have the power to tell if someone viewed your profile. Facebook does not make this an easy task, and most third-party apps that claim to make it simple usually don’t work properly or at all. However, there are some workarounds you can use to glimpse into your visitor list.
This article will detail how to find out who is your Facebook stalker and what you can do about it.
How To See Who Viewed My Facebook Profile on an iPhone
If you are using an Apple device, there are two distinct ways to determine who has viewed your Facebook profile. However, be aware that Facebook is constantly changing its programming. If one option doesn’t work, simply try another.
When using the Facebook app installed on your iOS device, follow these basic steps:
- Login to your personal Facebook account after opening the Facebook app on your device.
- Click on the “three lines” that open your main menu, located in the right-hand corner of the app.
- Select the “Privacy Shortcuts” link.
- Click on the “Who Viewed My Profile” option.
This should provide you with a listing of people who have viewed your Facebook profile.
If this option does not work, you may need to download a third-party application such as “Social Fans.” This application can be downloaded from iTunes for free. However, some features do require a membership fee. These fees can be paid for a week of use or monthly.
Keep in mind that third-party applications might not function as advertised. You should always carefully research your options and check reviews to decide if you’re getting a good deal and accurate information.
How to See Who Viewed My Facebook Profile on an Android Device
Unfortunately, there are no proven applications that can be used to find out who is viewing your Facebook profile on an Android device. Therefore, you will need to consider using your phone’s internet browser and refer to the next section.
How to See Who Viewed My Facebook Profile on a PC or Mac
There are some unique tricks you can use to determine who is viewing your Facebook profile using your default browser on your Windows or Mac PC. Here are the basic steps you need to follow to accomplish this task:
- Open your preferred Internet browser.
- Log into your Facebook page.
- Click on your username to access your profile.
- Place your mouse on a blank section of your profile page and right-click.
- Select “View Page Source” from the menu. The pop-up console will show several tabs, including the source code of the page as it was loaded.
- Click “Ctrl+F” to open the search bar.
- Type “InitialChatFriendsList” into the search bar, without quotes.
- This function will provide you with a list of profile code numbers. Highlight and copy one profile code number at a time.
- Open a new browser page.
- In the browser type: http://facebook.com/ After the “/” paste one of the code numbers. This will take you to a profile that has probably recently viewed your page.
- Repeat Step 10 for all profile numbers found in on your profile’s source page.
This process may be tedious, but if you are serious about seeing who has viewed your Facebook profile it may very well be worth the effort.
Note that this isn’t a foolproof method of detecting Facebook visits, and can only give you a clue on who may have visited your profile recently.
Other Ways to Determine Who Has Viewed Your Facebook Page
Facebook widely claims that there is no way for you to truly see who has viewed your Facebook profile. However, there are many third-party apps available, both for mobile and PC platforms, that claim to be capable of doing this. Not all applications may provide the results you desire, and some are simply wrong.
You can try most of these applications for free. Just be diligent during your search for such applications, and be sure to read customer reviews before downloading and using them.
How to Limit Who Can View Your Facebook Profile
If you are concerned about specific people viewing your profile and are worried about your general privacy, you may consider changing or updating the privacy of your Facebook account. The good news is this is very simple to do. You can do this via the browser of your choice on your PC or Mac, or via your mobile device with slightly different steps and more limitations.
If you want to control your privacy, follow these basic steps for the PC:
- Open Facebook on your browser or mobile and log in if needed.
- Click on your name to visit your Facebook profile.
- To the right of the menu where you see “Posts, About, Friends” etc. click the dots.
- Select “Profile and Tagging Settings” from the new menu. This will take you to a new page where several options will be available to you.
- The first option is “Who can post on your profile?” To the right of this option, you may want to choose “Only Me” if you want to be certain that no one else can post on your profile. You can also select “Friends,” which means that only those that you have added to your Friends list can post on your account.
- “Who can see what others post on your profile” is the next option. If you don’t want strangers that visit your page to see what others are sharing or posting on your profile, choose “Only me.”
- “Tagging” is the next section you will want to take into consideration. “Who can see posts you’re tagged in on your profile” is the first option you can manage. If you don’t want people that are not your friends to see when you are tagged, select “Only me.”
- “When you’re tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience of the post if they can’t already see it?” To keep your profile secure, select “Only me.”
- In the “Reviewing” section, there are two options: “Review posts you’re tagged in before the post appears on your profile” and “Review tags people add to your posts before the tags on Facebook.” You can use the slider next to each of these options to have more control of what people can and can’t see when visiting your page.
- After the “Reviewing” section you will see an option that says “Check what your profile looks like to others. Use “View As” to see what the public can see. Click on the “View” option and you will be able to see what your profile looks like to those that visit your page.
There are a few more steps you can take to truly control your Facebook profile privacy. This is best accomplished by clicking on the “Privacy” option in the “Settings” section of your profile, which you can access by following the first four steps detailed above. However, you will choose the “Privacy” option to the left of the screen.
From there you can control all your privacy features in one place.
All the above steps also work with the Facebook app on both iOS and Android. Just access the menu and view your “Settings.” Then follow all the steps detailed above.
Privy to Privacy on Facebook
Our lives are becoming increasingly public with new social networks and updates. If you want to keep matters private, take a few minutes of your time to improve your Facebook account’s settings and curb stalkers.
Do you have any other options, ideas or special apps that you recommend to see who is viewing your Facebook profile? If so, please sound off in the comments section below!