How to Use Text-to-Speech in TikTok
TikTok has experienced a popularity surge in the past couple of years. At first, it was just an app with a lot of dancing and lip-syncing to music. However, nowadays, it’s a platform with many different types of content and content creators. One of the reasons for this boom is the app’s vast, regularly updated editing features like Text-to-Speech.
Instead of just overlaying text in your carefully created video and having your viewers read and watch, text can now be read aloud by a few automatic voice options. In this way, the TikTok video is the center of your viewer’s attention and adds a more organized look to your content.
However, the TikTok editing features like Text-to-Speech can be challenging to use, especially for beginners. Keep reading to learn how to use this feature on different devices and find answers to common questions like changing the voice type.
How to Use Text-to-Speech in TikTok on an Android Device
TikTok features are the same regardless of whether you use an Android or iPhone. However, sounds, filters, and even editing features can be different depending on the region of the world you live in. Usually, new features are only available in the U.S. But since May 2021, TikTok has included the Text-to-Speech feature with a couple of different voices for all users worldwide.
To use the feature, record your video as usual and follow these steps to add Text-to-Speech:
- Add text by tapping “Text” on the right side of the screen.
- Write the text you want.
- Select “Done” at the top right corner of the screen.
- Press the text.
- A pop-up menu will appear where you can select to add Text-to-speech or to adjust the duration the text will appear on the screen.
- Select “Text-to-speech.”
- Save the video.
Additionally, you can change between the four different voices the platform offers, and you can also change the volume of the voices. These options help ensure that your background music and the voice of the Text-to-Speech are at the desired volume.
How to Use Text-to-Speech in TikTok on an iPhone
As said before, there are no significant differences between using TikTok on an iPhone and an Android phone. So, the steps to add the Text-to-Speech feature are the same. Record a video on the platform as you normally would and then follow these steps to add the feature:
- Tap on and Hold the text on your screen.
- A pop-up menu with three options will appear – “Text-to-Speech,” “Set Duration,” and “Edit.”
- Select “Text-to-Speech.”
- Finish editing your video and select “Save.”
iPhone users do have another option when it comes to this feature. There is a way to add the Siri voice to read your text. To do so, the steps are:
- Open “Settings.”
- Go to “Accessibility.”
- Select “Spoken content.”
- Turn on “Speak selection.”
- Open your “Notes” app.
- Here type out the text you want to have in your TikTok video.
- Open the Recording tool and start recording.
- Go to “Notes” again and select the text you’ve written down.
- Tap on the “Speak” feature and let Siri read the text aloud, and stop recording when she’s done.
- Go to TikTok and upload the recording.
How to Use Text-to-Speech in TikTok on an iPad
Using TikTok on an iPad is more convenient for some users than using a phone because of the bigger screen. Some users will find editing videos easier on an iPad, too. However, adding the Text-to-Speech feature is the same as adding it to an iPhone:
- Press the “+” button to start recording your TikTok.
- After you’ve finished recording, touch the red tick button in the bottom-right corner.
- Select “Text.”
- Add the text you wish.
- Hold your finger on the text on your screen to display a pop-up menu of options.
- Choose “Text-to-Speech.”
- After you’ve finished editing your video, select “Save.”
You can also add the Siri voice to your TikTok the same way you would on an iPhone.
- Open the “Settings” menu.
- Select “Accessibility.”
- Select “Spoken content.”
- Enable “Speak selection.”
- Open the “Notes” app on your phone.
- Type out the text you wish to appear in your TikTok video.
- Start recording with the Recording tool.
- Tap on the words you’ve typed down in “Notes.”
- Select the “Speak” option to have Siri read the text aloud.
- Stop the recording when Siri finishes reading the text.
- Upload your recording to TikTok.
Whether you are filming a TikTok about SpongeBob or just want to make a funny TikTok, you may wish your TikTok voiceover to sound like SpongeBob. Even though this can’t be done directly in the TikTok app, you can do it with the help of your internet browser.
- Go to 15.ai on your browser.
- Scroll through the character options and select SpongeBob SquarePants.
- In the box below, type out the text you want.
- Click on the “Generate” button below the text box.
- Download the file.
- Open the file and tap on “Share.”
- You can now share it to TikTok or an editing app to tweak it before uploading it to TikTok.
How Do I Change the Text-to-Speech Voice on TikTok?
If you want to choose among the voices, TikTok already has for you, first make sure that your app is up to date. Once you’ve ensured your app is current, follow these steps:
1. Create a TikTok video.
2. Go to the bottom of the screen and choose “Text,” then input the text you want to convert to speech.
3. Hold down the text box until the words “Text-to-Speech” appear.
4. Select your preferred voice.
Why Is My Text-to-Speech Not Working?
If your Text-to-Speech is not working, the reason could be that your app is not updated. In earlier versions of the app, the feature was not available for every country. Go to the Google Play Store on Android or the App Store on iOS devices to update your app. Search for “TikTok,” and tap on “Update” if the option is available in its official Store entry.
If updating doesn’t solve the problem, you can try to reinstall the app. To do so, hold the TikTok icon and tap on “Delete.” Then, go again to the Google Play Store on Android or the App Store on iOS devices to install TikTok again.
A third solution is to update your phone. If your phone’s operating system is not updated, it can cause compatibility issues with different apps, and some features may not work correctly.
Adding different voices and adjusting them to your liking allows you to tap into your creative potential. Keep in mind that you need to change the duration of the text. Otherwise, it will stay on the screen even after it has been read out loud.
Have you used the Text-to-Speech feature? Do you prefer videos with text-to-Speech or without it? Do you think it was an impactful addition to the TikTok editing mode? Share your thought in the comment section below!