How to Uninstall Roku from TV
When one talks about uninstalling Roku from a smart TV, there are a couple of things that come to mind. You may want to uninstall the OS, remove a couple of channels, clear memory cache, etc.
Due to the way Roku devices work, jailbreaking isn’t an option. But there are some changes you can make, even without developer access.
Why You Can’t Jailbreak a Roku Device
The Roku OS is very different from what most other streaming players feature. Unlike Android-based operating systems, the Roku OS is a modified Linux OS which acts as its own closed system. Only developers can access it and make modifications.
But, what are the implications of this? In simple terms, it means that there’s a lot you won’t be able to do on a Roku device. For example, you won’t be able to install an internet browser. You can’t modify preinstalled apps and functions.
That said, things aren’t so bad with Roku devices, for a number of reasons. While you may have to jailbreak an Android streaming player or OS in order to use screen mirroring, casting, and many other features, Roku already lets you do those things.
Therefore, most of the reasons that would lead users to want to jailbreak their phones, TVs, or streaming sticks, are not valid when it comes to Roku. And, even then, there are plenty of interesting customization options you can play with, including turning off Roku on a Roku smart TV.
Disable Roku on a Roku TV
If you’re using a Roku smart TV, you obviously can’t jailbreak it, remove the Roku OS, and then do as you please with it. But, say you could disable your Roku features and use the TV as a regular TV with no smart features. Would you do it?
TCL TVs allow you to do this. Here’s how to disable Roku on your TCL Roku TV:
You’ll need to perform a factory rest on a TCL Roku TV if you’ve previously activated and configured the Roku functionality.
- Go to the main screen or home screen by pressing the Home button on your remote.
- Go to System.
- Select the Advanced system settings.
- Select Factory reset.
- Select the Factory reset everything option.
- Input the code displayed on the screen to finish.
Disabling Roku Features During the Initial Smart TV Setup
You’ll need your remote to navigate the menu.
- Press the right arrow button.
- From the Let’s get started screen select your language.
- Select the Set up for home use option.
- From the new menu select Connect to the internet later.
- Highlight Do this later and press the OK button on your remote.
- Plug other devices you may want to use.
- If not, select the Everything is plugged in and turned on option.
After this final step you should be redirected to your Home screen. You’ll notice that Roku won’t be available anymore. The features can still be turned on at a later time.
Customize the Channel Playlist
Even if you can’t completely uninstall Roku, and even if you can’t disable its features on some Roku TVs, you can still remove individual channels to either customize your experience or to clean up the system.
- Press the Home button on the remote to access the Home screen.
- Highlight a channel.
- Press the Star button on your remote.
- From the new options screen select the Remove channel option.
There’s also away to remove streaming channels:
- Press the Home button to go to the main screen.
- Select the Streaming Channels with your right arrow.
- From the Channel Store screen select any channel you want.
- Press the OK button on the remote.
- Select and confirm the Remove channel option.
Are Roku Smart TVs Worth It?
Given what you know now, do you think Roku smart TVs are worth using over plugging a regular Roku player into a smart TV? You won’t be able to enjoy many of the features that some Android smart TVs have to offer, like free internet browsing, adding a wide range of third-party apps, etc.
Are you disappointed with the Roku OS being immune to jailbreaking or do you thing that this is an excellent security feature? Leave us your thoughts in the comments section below.