How to Watch Twitch on a Roku Device
Roku devices are found in many households, providing a handy package to watch movies, shows, etc. One of the channels users could add to their device was Twitch, as the streaming platform has enough entertainment for a lifetime. While this was possible in the past, Twitch pulled the official app from Roku.
However, there is still hope. Using several methods, you can still watch Twitch streams and VODs on your Roku device. Please read on for the details.
When the official Twitch channel for Roku was discontinued, users who never installed the original couldn’t access it anymore. However, TWOKU is the next best thing for Roku owners to add Twitch to their devices.
- Log in to your Roku box and go to the account settings page.
- From the Account page, click on the Add channel with a code link.
- In the text box, type “
TWOKU” or “
- Select Add channel.
- Press Ok after reading the disclaimer and message.
- Confirm by clicking on Yes, add channel.
Now, you can add the channel to your device.
- Go to the Settings menu from the Roku home screen.
- Head to System.
- Select System update.
- Then click Check now.
- After the device is updated, the TWOKU channel will appear on your home screen at the bottom of your channel list.
- Start watching Twitch streams.
TWOKU isn’t a supported or verified app. Use at your own risk because Roku can prevent your device from using unofficial apps if they determine you broke its terms and conditions while using TWOKU.
Keep in mind that the channel doesn’t have the best user interface or get regular updates, but it’s the only alternative to the official Twitch channel.
Getting the Official Twitch Channel Back
If your Roku device used to have the official Twitch channel before it was removed, you could still install it.
- Head to your Roku box’s account settings page and log in if required.
- Go to Add Channel.
- Type “
twitchtv” in the box.
- Select Add channel.
- Choose OK after the warning message appears.
- Add the channel to your Roku device.
From here, you’ll need to update your channel.
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Go to System.
- Pick System update and then select Check now.
- Wait for the device to update and go back.
- The Twitch channel should be at the bottom of your channels list.
- You can log in and watch Twitch streams.
Fortunately, it’s generally safe to use the discontinued official Twitch Roku channel.
Adding a Channel on a PC
If you’re not keen on booting up the Roku box, you can use your computer instead. It will still work, and the steps don’t differ too much.
- Go to the Roku website and log in to your account.
- Click on the Add channel with a code link.
- Enter the code “
twitchtv” or “TWOKU” depending on your device.
- Now, select Add channel.
- Agree to proceed despite Roku’s warning message.
- Confirm your decision by clicking on Yes, add channel.
- After this, you’ll have to update your Roku box and find the channel.
You should be safe from the Roku ban hammer no matter the method. If you only watch streams, there’s no reason the company will restrict your device.
Watch Twitch on Roku by Screen Mirroring with an Android Device
Screen mirroring from an Android device to a Roku box has been supported for a long time, and the best part is there’s no risk involved. While it requires the use of another device, you can watch Twitch streams without worries.
After logging in to your Twitch account, you’re almost set to mirror the screen.
- On the Twitch app, tap on the stream you want to watch.
- Look for a Smart View or Screen Cast option on your mobile device.
- Pick the Roku device where you want to cast Twitch.
- Allow the mobile device to cast video on the TV via your Roku device.
- Once that connection is established, you’re free to watch any Twitch streams or VODs you like.
You can even permanently grant the device permission to cast streams on the TV. Doing so lets you skip step 4.
It’s best always to allow screen mirroring on your Roku. Here’s how:
- Head to Settings.
- Go to System and then Screen mirroring.
- Check Always allow for the Screen mirroring mode.
Doing so will allow other devices to connect to your Roku. Otherwise, it’s impossible to perform the steps above.
Watch Twitch on Roku by Screen Mirroring with a PC
A Roku box can connect to your computer, and you can even control it using the keyboard. Once you do that, you can cast Twitch streams from a browser to the TV.
Before doing that, we recommend allowing access to the computer to cast.
- Open Google Chrome or any web browser and then press Windows Key + A to bring up the Quick Actions menu.
- Select Cast or Project. If not present, click on the pencil icon and add the option to the Quick Actions menu.
- After clicking on Cast, pick your Roku device.
- Connect to the Roku box.
- On the Roku box, let the PC project Twitch streams.
- If everything is set up correctly, you can watch Twitch on the big screen.
Sometimes, the settings are wrong, and the projection mode is set to something else. Here’s the fix:
- Click on Change projection mode in the Cast pop-up.
- Select Duplicate instead of the other choices.
- Once that’s done, the Twitch stream should appear on the Roku box.
Sadly, Twitch removed its official channel from Roku in 2019, so users today have to resort to these methods if they prefer watching Twitch broadcasts on their video box.
It’s important to note that some Roku boxes don’t support screen mirroring. Some mobile devices also don’t allow casting to Roku boxes. You can learn more about casting to Roku devices on the Roku Support Website.
Screen mirroring is also enabled by default. If it’s disabled, you may have checked this option in the past.
Can I get the official Twitch Roku channel in 2022?
The channel was removed in 2019, so you can’t get it if your account was made after that time. However, Roku accounts that installed the app can reinstall it using the code. It comes with a warning message but should be safe to use.
The steps for adding this channel are found in the section above.
Will Twitch be on Roku again?
It’s doubtful because Roku has been cracking down on many unofficial channels. The removal also happened many years ago, and there are no signs Twitch will try to restore the official app. Sadly, the best option today is to use smart casting or AirPlay.
Can I use an iPhone to cast Twitch to Roku?
Any supported Apple mobile device should be able to cast a Twitch stream to a compatible Roku box. The steps are similar to the processes listed above.
A Relic of the Past
While there are several ways to watch Twitch streams on your Roku device, the company is slowly phasing many methods out. Soon, it’s possible that casting will be the only way to enjoy your favorite streamer playing video games. Despite this, Twitch remains accessible on the video box if you know how.
Which method we listed do you prefer? Do you have another way not included here? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.