YouTube TV – How to Record a Show
With the launch of YouTube TV, the cord-cutting community gained another streaming service worthy of attention. Especially since it provides access to major network channels like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, AMC, CNN, and many others.
With so much content airing live, it’s hard to keep track of everything you want to watch. That’s where YouTube TV’s excellent DVR feature comes in. It allows you to record entire shows without any limit since there’s no storage space to worry about.
Follow along in this article to learn all about recording your favorite shows using YouTube TV.
How to Record All Episodes of a Show on YouTube TV on an Amazon Firestick
If you’re using Amazon’s Firestick streaming device, you probably already have YouTube TV on it. If not, you can install it from Amazon’s app store. Of course, in order to use the app, you’ll have to subscribe to the service by paying a fixed monthly fee.
- To record all episodes of your favorite show with your Firestick device, use your remote control to navigate through the YouTube TV menus.
- Find the show you want to record and click Add, it will appear in your DVR library, filling up with new episodes as they air. Also, the Add icon will turn from the plus sign to a checkmark, letting you know you’re recording it.
- When you want to watch the show you’ve recorded, select “Library” from YouTube TV’s top menu. This will present you with a list of all the shows you have in your DVR library. Simply select the show and choose the episode you want to watch. That’s it.
All the shows you record will remain in your library for the next nine months. Of course, there might be a moment when you want to remove some of the shows. To do so, navigate to the show you want to remove and click the checkmark icon. The icon will then turn into a plus sign. If you ever want to add that show again to the library, simply repeat the process, as described above.
Please note that the first generation Fire TV and Fire TV Stick devices are not compatible with YouTube TV. Most other Amazon’s streaming devices work quite well with YouTube TV. These include Fire TV second and third generation, Fire TV Stick second generation, Fire TV Stick 4K, and the first and second generation of Fire TV Cube.
How to Record a Single Episode of a Show on YouTube TV on an Amazon Firestick
Sometimes, you might want to record only one episode of a show. Unfortunately, YouTube TV doesn’t allow you to do that. The only way to record one episode is to add the show to your list, which will save all upcoming episodes as well, as soon as they air.
As there’s no limit to how many shows you can record, this shouldn’t present a problem. If you’re worrying about the available storage space for your recording, rest easy because YouTube TV provides an unlimited space for its DVR feature.
How to Record All Episodes of a Show on YouTube TV on a Roku Device
With Roku streaming devices, recording shows on YouTube TV is almost identical to Amazon’s Firestick. Of course, first, you’ll have to install the app on your device and pay the monthly subscription fee. You can download it from Roku’s Channel Store.
- Start the YouTube TV app on your Roku device.
- Using the search option in the top right corner of the app’s screen, find the show you’d like to record and click the Add button that looks like a plus sign.
- This adds that entire show to your YouTube TV library. This will enable all future episodes of the show to appear in this list once they air.
To be sure that you’ve successfully added a show to the DVR feature, verify if the Add button turned from a plus sign to a checkmark.
How to Record a Single Episode of a Show on YouTube TV on a Roku Device
Since YouTube TV generally doesn’t allow you to record only one episode of a show, this applies to Roku devices as well. Considering there’s no limit to how many shows you can record, this is not a bad thing.
With the unlimited storage space for your YouTube TV recordings, the only downside to this is having too many shows in your library. To reduce the clutter, you can easily remove any shows you don’t find entertaining enough for a repeat watching. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open your YouTube TV library, find the show you want to remove, and click the checkmark icon.
- The icon should now turn into a plus sign, meaning you’ve successfully removed the show from your DVR library.
It’s worth pointing out that at any moment you can re-add the show you’ve removed. Just select the plus icon, and that’s it.
How to Record All Episodes of a Show on YouTube TV with Apple TV
Before you continue reading, it’s important to note that earlier models of Apple TV don’t support YouTube TV. But if you’re using the fourth generation of Apple TV or Apple TV 4K, you get to enjoy your favorite shows on YouTube TV. The app is available for download on Apple’s App Store. Of course, to be able to use it, you’ll have to pay the monthly subscription fee.
When you want to record a show, the process is the same as for Amazon Firestick and Roku streaming devices:
- Start YouTube TV, search for the show you want to record, a click the Add button.
- Once you do that, notice that the plus sign has now turned into a checkmark. This way, you know you’ve added the show to your YouTube TV DVR library.
As with all other devices, to watch the latest episode of a show you’re recording, simply go to your library, find the show on the list, and play the episode. It’s that simple.
How to Record a Single Episode of a Show on YouTube TV with Apple TV
With YouTube TV providing unlimited space for all the shows you want to record; they don’t find it necessary to enable recording a single episode. True, this may turn your library into a never-ending list of shows, but you can always remove certain shows you don’t follow anymore.
- To do so, simply locate the show you want to remove and click the checkmark icon. The icon will turn back to a plus sign, notifying you the show isn’t in your library anymore.
How to Record All Episodes of a Show on YouTube TV on a PC
To provide a universal user experience across all platforms, using YouTube TV on your PC is no different than using it on streaming devices. It provides unlimited storage space to record various shows which disappear from your library nine months after you’ve added them.
To add a show to your YouTube TV library, follow the steps below:
- Open an Internet browser on your PC and go to https://tv.youtube.com/.
- When the YouTube TV page opens, use the search field to find the show you want to record.
- Click the show’s cover art.
- The pop-up window appears, displaying relevant details about the show. Click the Add button that looks like a plus sign. It should be next to the show’s title.
- The plus sign should now turn into a checkmark icon, informing you that you’ve successfully added the show to your library.
- To watch the episodes, click the Library option from YouTube TV’s top menu and find the show. When you open the show’s screen, select an episode, and play it.
How to Record a Single Episode of a Show on YouTube TV on a PC
Like with all other platforms and device types, the PC version of YouTube TV also doesn’t allow recording a single episode of a show. Instead, you have to add the show to your library, adding all future episodes as they appear. Although this might seem super convenient, if you’re recording a lot of shows, you might clutter your library.
If you want to do some cleaning, simply click the checkmark icon on the shows you don’t want to record. This will remove them from your YouTube TV library, allowing you to return and add them again, whenever you want.
And remember, YouTube TV comes with an unlimited DVR storage space. This allows you to record as many shows as you like, leaving them available in your library for the next nine months.
How do I cancel a YouTube TV recording?
To cancel a YouTube TV recording, simply select the show and click the checkmark button next to its title. This will remove the show from your library, effectively stopping the recording process.
Can I play the YouTube TV recordings from any device?
Yes, you can, because YouTube TV is built to provide a universal user experience across all devices and platforms. As long as you can install YouTube TV to your device, you’ll be able to access your library. This will allow you to watch the shows you’ve decided to record previously.
Where does YouTube TV store my show recordings?
YouTube TV keeps all the recordings on their servers, relieving you of any stress regarding the available storage space. That being said, it’s important to note that you have to maintain your Internet connection in order to access the content you’ve recorded.
How many shows on YouTube TV can I keep recorded?
With YouTube TV, you can keep as many shows as you want in your library. That’s probably because YouTube doesn’t create an actual digital recording of the show for each user individually. It’s more likely that they keep all the content on their server, allowing you to link to it through your library. Probably similar to the way standard YouTube videos work.
Keeping the Record of Your Favorite Shows
Now that you know how to record any show you’d like to watch, you can rest easy and enjoy them whenever you have time. With no limits to how many shows you can record, the only thing you should think about is giving them a watch until they automatically disappear from your library. And that won’t happen for nine months after you’ve recorded them.
Have you managed to record your favorite shows? Do you find YouTube TV’s recording feature good enough? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.