How to Add a Device to “Find My” on Apple Devices
The Find My app can be used to locate all your Apple devices, from your iPhone to an AirTag. You can even track the location of all the iOS devices you’re logged in to at once and play a sound to find them. There are many more useful features this app has to offer.
In this article, we’ll explain how to add a new device in the Find My app on your iPhone, Mac, and iPad. We’ll also show you how to remove a device from this app and a few more handy tricks.
How to Add a Device to “Find My” From an iOS Device
The Find My app is an encrypted, anonymous network that uses Bluetooth to find your iOS devices. This app is compatible with iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch devices, Apple Watches, Macs, AirPods, AirTags, and more. With AirTags, you can even use the Find My app to locate your personal belongings (e.g., your wallet or your keys). Not only is this app useful for misplaced devices and items, but for stolen possessions as well.
Once you sign in to your iCloud account on a new device, it is automatically added to the Find My app. Several other features are also enabled by default. This includes the ability to play a sound on your device, remotely lock it, and even display a message on it.
In order to add devices to the Find My app, this is what you need to do:
- Open “Settings” on your home screen.
- Tap on your Apple ID at the top of the menu.
- Select the “Find My” tab.
- Go to “Find My Phone” and enable this feature.
- Toggle the “Find My Network” switch. This lets you find your device even when it’s offline.
- Go back and toggle the “Share My Location” switch.
- Return to “Settings.”
- Go to “Privacy” and then to “Location Services.”
- Locate “Find My” and make sure “While Using the App” is checked.
Now, let’s see how you would add a new device to the Find My app on your iPhone:
- Open the Find My app on your home screen. This will open a map that shows where all your devices are located at the moment.
- Tap on “Devices” on the bottom menu.
- Select the “+” icon next to “Devices.” The app will start searching for new devices you’re signed in to.
- Locate the device that you want to add.
- Enter your Apple ID.
Your added device will now appear on the map, and you’ll be able to track it. If you want to add an item that you’re going to track with your AirTag or other supported third-party products, this is how it’s done:
- Launch the Find My app.
- Go to “Items” at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Add Item.”
- Choose “Add AirTag” or “Other Supported Item.”
Note: Make sure that your Bluetooth is turned on.
- Tap on the item that you want to add.
- Enter your Apple ID.
That’s about it. Another option you have is to remove devices from this app, which is ideal for phones or other devices you don’t use anymore. If you want to remove a device from the Find My app on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Find My app.
- Go to “Devices.”
- Locate the device you want to remove.
- Find and select “Remove This Device” on the menu.
- Enter your Apple ID password.
After you remove a device from the Find My app, you can still restore it from your iCloud backup. On your iPhone, you can also enable the “Send Last Location” option. This allows the app to send you the location of your linked devices when their batteries are low.
How to Add a Device to Find My From a Mac
To use the Find My app on your Mac, you need to be signed in with your Apple ID. You can also access the Find My app from your desktop browser, as long as you can sign in with your Apple ID. Just like on your iPhone, all devices associated with your Apple ID will be automatically added to the Find My app.
However, as opposed to the iPhone app, you don’t have the option to add new devices on the Mac version. There is an option to delete a device from the Find My application. To do this:
- Locate it on the list of devices and right-click on it.
- Select “Remove This Device” from the drop-down menu.
- You’ll need to enter your Apple ID to do this.
Even though you can’t add new devices to this app on Mac computers, there are various other things you can do. You can track the location of all your connected devices, play a sound to find them more quickly, and receive notifications when linked devices are close by. With the AirTag, you can locate missing or stolen items and get directions to find them,
Keep Track of All Your iOS Devices
The Find My app is handy for many reasons. It allows you to track the location of all your iOS devices and find missing or stolen third-party products and personal belongings. If you use the iPhone or iPad app, you can also add new devices and items to your list. When you’re no longer using a particular device, you can easily remove it from the app.
Have you ever added a new device to the Find My app? What device did you add? Let us know in the comments section below.