How to Add a Hotmail Account to Outlook
Using multiple Hotmail accounts is highly advantageous. It allows you to manage your correspondence faster and keep your emails well organized. Best of all, the number you can add to your profile is unlimited, so let’s see how you can incorporate your first spare Hotmail account.
This entry will explain how to include a Hotmail account to Microsoft Outlook. The process is relatively straightforward, regardless of your experience with this program.
How to Add a Hotmail Account to Outlook on a Windows PC
You shouldn’t have any trouble adding a Hotmail account to Outlook on your Windows PC. The program features an automatic setup that lets you complete this task quickly. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Outlook and press “File,” followed by “Add Account.”
- If you’re using Outlook 2016, type in your email address and choose “Connect.” For Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013, click “Email Account,” and type in your email address, name, password, and select “Next.”
- If prompted, reenter your password and hit the “OK” button.
- Press “Done,” and you should be able to use Outlook with your new account.
This process is recommended in most cases. But if you’re an advanced Outlook user, you can also manually add a Hotmail account. There are two methods to do so.
The first one works great to enter outgoing and incoming server name values, SSL settings, and port numbers. This is how it works:
- Start Outlook and choose “File.”
- Navigate to “Add Account” and type in your email address.
- Press “Advanced Options” and check the box that lets you set up your account manually.
- Hit the “Connect” button and pick the type of your account. Most users select “IMAP” in this case.
- The following “Account settings” section should already contain most of the settings you require. Enter the outgoing and incoming server settings and choose “Next.”
- Type in your password before pressing “Connect.”
The second method comes in handy if you use third-party MAPI providers. Here, you’ll need to configure your provider application according to the company’s conditions.
Although this process is also meant for advanced users, it’s relatively straightforward:
- Open your Outlook app and choose “File,” followed by “Add Account.”
- Type in your email address and pick “Advanced options.”
- Tell the system you want to set up your account manually by checking the associated box and pressing “Connect.”
- Navigate to “Advanced Setup” and press the “Other” button.
- Select the server type. Keep in mind that the “Other” button and the account type under it only appears if your MAPI provider is configured correctly.
- Choose “Connect,” and your third-party provider application should now launch.
- Complete the setup by following the instruction of your MAPI provider.
How to Add a Hotmail Account to Outlook on a Mac
Mac users can just as easily add a Hotmail account to Outlook. The steps are fairly simple:
- Open Outlook and head to “Preferences” or “Tools,” followed by “Accounts.”
- Press the plus symbol and choose “New Account.”
- Enter your email address and select “Continue.”
- Type in your password and press the “Add Account” button.
- Choose “Done,” and your Outlook should now let you use another Hotmail account. If you see a redirection message, check the “Always use my response for this server box” and press the “Allow” button. This enables your Mac Outlook to connect to the appropriate server.
How to Add Hotmail Account to Outlook 365
Setting up an additional Hotmail account in Outlook 365 doesn’t require advanced technical knowledge, regardless of your version. It shouldn’t take you more than a minute or two to complete the process:
- Open Outlook 365 and navigate to “File.”
- Press “Add Account.”
- The appearance of the following screen depends on your version:
- Microsoft 365 Outlook users should type in their email address and choose “Connect.”
- If you’re an Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013 user, enter your email address, password, name, and hit the “Next” button. Reenter your password, press “OK,” and select “Finish” to finalize the setup.
Is Hotmail a POP or IMAP?
Hotmail supports access through several protocols, including IMAP and POP. You can use either when adding your account to Outlook or other programs. You’ll need the following settings:
• IMAP port, server name, and encryption method: 993; outlook.office365.com; TLS
• POP port, server name, and encryption method: 995; outlook.office365.com; TLS
Outgoing and incoming server details are the same for both protocols, and Outlook doesn’t require SPA (Secure Password Authentication).
How Do You Enable POP Access on Outlook?
Outlook disables POP access by default. This means you’ll first need to enable it to access your email account. Here’s how to do so:
1. Open Outlook and press the “Settings’ button.
2. Choose “View all Outlook settings,” followed by “Mail” and “Sync email.”
3. Navigate to the “POP and IMAP” section and press “Yes” under the “Let devices and apps use POP” field.
4. Hit the “Save” button, and you’re good to go.
Streamline Your Mailbox Within Minutes
Adding a Hotmail account to your Outlook profile is an easily accessible feature. Setting it up is straightforward, especially if you take the automated approach. However, the manual methods are relatively user-friendly too.
Once you’ve connected your account, mailbox management will be much smoother. You’ll be able to separate business correspondence from personal messages and filter spam more easily.
How many Hotmail accounts have you connected to your Outlook profile? Do you prefer the automatic or manual approach? Is @hotmail.com your only domain? Tell us in the comments section below.