How to Cancel YouTube Music
Ever since Google acquired YouTube, the integration between the two platforms has been progressing. YouTube Music is one of the features that showcase how beneficial this collaboration can be. Namely, the feature makes use of Google’s powerful algorithms to allow users to access custom playlists based on their interests.
If you have a premium subscription for YouTube Music but would like to revert to the free plan, you can easily do so. In this article, we’ll show you all of the steps you’ll need to take to cancel YouTube Music on various platforms.
How to Cancel YouTube Music on an iPhone
Unlike some other YouTube features that require a desktop browser to access, such as editing past comments, you can cancel YouTube Music through your iPhone app without trouble. To do just that, you’ll need to use the following steps:
- Sign in to the YouTube app.
- Tap on your profile picture to access your account menu.
- Select “Paid memberships.”
- You’ll see a list of current paid subscriptions for your YouTube account. Locate “Music.”
- Under “Music,” tap “Manage.”
- The YouTube app will open a browser. To continue the cancellation process, you’ll need to sign in with your Google or YouTube credentials.
- After completing the sign-in, you’ll return to “Paid memberships.” Go to “Music” once again.
- Tap the “Deactivate” button.
- The app will ask whether you’d like to pause your membership instead of canceling. If you want to cancel, confirm the deactivation.
It’s worth noting that using the YouTube app to cancel YouTube Music will only be possible if that’s how you signed up for the service. If you used Apple, the cancellation would require your Apple ID. Here’s what you need to do in that case:
- On your iPhone, go to “Settings.”
- Tap on the field containing your name and picture to access your account.
- Go to “Subscriptions” and find YouTube Music.
- Tap YouTube Music to view your options.
- Finally, choose “Cancel Subscription” and confirm the action in the pop-up prompt.
After going through these steps, you’ll have successfully canceled your YouTube Music membership. You’ll still receive all of the premium features until the billing period expires. After that, you’ll only be able to use the free version of YouTube Music.
How to Cancel YouTube Music on an Android Device
Canceling YouTube Music on Android devices should be a relatively straightforward process. Here’s what you’ll need to do to end your YouTube Music membership through an Android phone or tablet:
- Sign in to your account.
- Tap the icon showing your profile picture. It should be located in the top right of your screen.
- Tapping your icon will bring up the account menu. From there, go to “Paid memberships.”
- The app will show you a list of all current subscriptions. Find “Music” and tap “Manage.”
- You’ll see a prompt asking you whether you want to cancel or pause the membership. If you’re sure you want to cancel, tap that option.
- Once you confirm the action, you can exit the YouTube app. Your membership will be canceled.
How to Cancel YouTube Music on a PC
To cancel YouTube Music on your PC, you’ll need to open your browser and go to YouTube. Then, follow these steps:
- Click on your image in the top right corner. This will bring up the account menu.
- Select “Purchases and memberships.”
- You’ll be taken to a page displaying your paid memberships on YouTube. Find “Music” and choose “Manage Membership.”
- A drop-down menu will appear, showing your membership info. Find your next billing date and click “Deactivate.”
- Next, you’ll be asked if you want to pause the membership for six months rather than canceling. If you’re sure that you want to proceed, click “Continue to Cancel.”
- You’ll get another confirmation prompt. Click “Yes, cancel.”
Once you’ve completed these steps, your YouTube Music subscription will be canceled. You’ll also have access to all premium features for the duration of the billing period. Afterward, you can continue to use YouTube Music through a free account.
Should You Consider Keeping Your YouTube Music Membership?
With a free plan, YouTube Music functions like any other channel on the platform. Since users aren’t charged, revenue is instead made through ads. On its own, the service is an excellent venue if you want to explore new music and emerging artists. Considering all this, it might seem like a paid subscription wouldn’t be worth it.
However, having a paid YouTube Music membership comes with several perks. As a premium member, you’ll be able to listen to your favorite tracks without ads constantly interrupting the experience. Additionally, you’ll have the option to download songs to your device for offline listening.
Alternatives to YouTube Music
If you decide to cancel your membership, you might be interested in other services that can replace YouTube Music. Luckily, there are many options available:
- Apple Music
- Google Play Music
- Amazon Music
- TIDAL Music
Most of these services have a similar structure to YouTube Music. They offer both free and paid versions, and once you subscribe, you’ll have the pleasure of listening to ad-free music. Some services will also allow you to download individual tracks or even entire playlists.
Finally, you might find a subscription to Spotify or Apple Music superior to YouTube Music due to the size of their music libraries. While YouTube Music features a decent selection of artists and songs, these alternatives have an even greater collection to ensure you’ll find what you need.
Cancel Your Membership at a Moment’s Notice
YouTube Music can be quite a convenient service. However, you might not find it necessary to keep your membership with the many offers available today. After all, if you already have other subscriptions, the additional fee, while relatively inexpensive, might seem a bit too much.
Luckily, YouTube Music membership is easy to cancel whether you’re using it on your iPhone, Android device, or PC. Whatever platform you’re on, following the methods outlined in this article will help you cancel it in no time at all.
Have you ever canceled your YouTube membership? What was the reason for your decision? Let us know in the comments section below.