How to Change your Location or Local Stations in Hulu and Watch Outside the US
Hulu has contracts with US media providers that restrict it from streaming shows, movies, and episodes outside the United States. If you’re in Canada, the UK, Mexico, or any country other than America, you can’t stream Hulu on your devices.
So, what happens when you’re traveling in a different state or abroad but still want to enjoy your favorite TV show or sports game? What do you do if you’ve temporarily switched to a new workstation but still want to catch up on the latest news about your state? Don’t fret.
You’ll be pleased to learn there’s a way to shake off Hulu’s geographical restrictions and lock in your uninterrupted streaming experience.
How to Change Locations in Hulu on a FireStick
The Amazon FireStick, also known as Fire TV Stick, plugs into an HDMI slot on your TV or computer and instantly connects you with both streaming services and the internet. The FireStick runs on Android, making it compatible with any app available in the Google Play app store, including Hulu.
If you’re streaming Hulu on a FireStick, you can easily change your location and enjoy your favorite channels from anywhere worldwide. Here’s how:
- Ensure you have an active ExpressVPN subscription. To do so, visit the official website and select the package of your choice.
- Install ExpressVPN on your FireStick simply search for ExpressVPN from the Fire TV Stick app store.
- Open the ExpressVPN app and enter your credentials to sign in.
- Click on “configure your VPN”and then follow the on-screen instructions to set up a VPN connection.
- Once the ExpressVPN is set up, click on “Turn on.”
- Click on “Choose Location.”
- Choose “United States” as your preferred location and then select the city that will serve as your server location. To unlock the local and regional channels that make up your Home network, you should select the city that matches your Home network location.
How to Change Locations in Hulu on a Smart TV
Hulu is now available on most smart TV models. In fact, Hulu is now available as a built-in app on almost all smart TVs that run on Android. If you want to enjoy Hulu without being geographically restricted, you need to do the following:
- Get an ExpressVPN subscription from the official website.
- Open your smart TV and visit the app store.
- Enter “ExpressVPN” in the search box and hit Go.
- Once you find the ExpressVPN app, click on it and select “Install.”
- After installation, open the app and enter your credentials to sign in.
- Click on “configure your VPN” and then follow the on-screen instructions to set up a VPN connection.
- Click on “Turn on.”
- Click on “Choose Location.”
- Select the city that matches your Hulu Home network location.
- Launch Hulu and watch the channel of your choice.
How to Change Location on Hulu on a PC
One of the best things about Hulu is that if you own a PC, you don’t need a dedicated media player to watch your favorite channels. You can visit the official Hulu website using your browser and watch anything you want without installing anything.
If you use a PC to access Hulu, changing your geo-location is straightforward:
- Get an ExpressVPN plan from the official website.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app for Windows.
- After the installation is complete, open the app and sign in to your account.
- Click on “Turn on” and then click on the three horizontal dots next to the app’s Smart Location. This will allow you to set up a custom location.
- Choose “United States” as your preferred location and then select the city that will serve as your server location. To ensure that you retain access to all the channels in your Hulu Home network even while abroad, connect to a server in the city you (used to) live in.
How to Change Location in Hulu on an iPhone
If your iPhone is running on iOS 12 or later, you can install the Hulu app and enjoy all the channels available in your region. And the best part? You can get around Hulu’s geo-restrictions and enjoy US TV channels even when outside of the US.
Here’s how to change your location on Hulu if you’re using an iPhone:
- Open Safari.
- Visit the ExpressVPN website and get a suitable subscription plan.
- Download the ExpressVPN app for iOS devices.
- Once the app installs, sign in to your account.
- Tap on “Connect” and select your preferred server location from the available options.
And with that, you’ll be able to stream the local, regional, or national Hulu channels from anywhere in the world.
How to Change Locations in Hulu on an Android Device
If you use an Android device to access Hulu, you can easily change your location using ExpressVPN. Here’s how:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app for Android.
- After installation, launch the app and enter your account details to sign in.
- Tap on “Connect.”
- By default, ExpressVPN always automatically sets a Smart Server Location that locks in the maximum browsing speed. If the chosen location is within the US, you’ll be able to circumvent Hulu’s geo-restrictions without any further action. But if you have a specific server location in mind, proceed to step 6.
- Click on the three horizontal dots to the right of the Smart Location.
- Select your desired VPN server location from the “Recommended” list or the “All Locations” list.
How to Change Location on Hulu
Your Hulu Home network is the geographical area set up when you sign up for the service. As soon as your subscription comes alive, Hulu automatically runs an algorithm that uses your IP address and GPS to determine your location.
With a Home network, you’re able to stream live TV and access local and regional channels automatically. However, you can’t access any of those channels when you leave the US.
Hulu uses the Home network to enforce content geo-restrictions set by media providers in the US. For example, CBS 3 is CBS’s local station in Philadelphia. You’ll be able to stream the channel while in Philadelphia but can’t do so while in New York.
Some channels are nationwide, meaning you can access them from anywhere across the US. That includes MSNBC, Fox News, AMC, and ESPN. However, anyone outside of the US is locked out of both local and national channels.
Fortunately, Hulu Live TV allows you to change your Home network to a new location via the official website. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the official Hulu Live TV website and enter your credentials to sign in.
- Click on your profile avatar. This should open the account management section.
- Click on “Account.”
- Navigate to the “Privacy and Settings” section.
- Click on “Set or Change Home.” At this point, Hulu will automatically detect your new location.
- Confirm the new location and save the changes.
However, changing your Home network manually comes with several limitations. First, you can only change your location a maximum of four times a year. Second, it doesn’t work if your new location is outside of the US. In addition, users can’t change their location when on a mobile internet connection.
To expand your possibilities and watch Hulu from anywhere in the world, you’ll need to tunnel your internet connection through an American proxy server. That means you’ll need a virtual private network (VPN).
ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPN providers among Hulu users. With over 300 servers across the US, it helps you circumvent Hulu’s geo-restrictions and watch your favorite content from anywhere in the world.
ExpressVPN also stands out because it works flawlessly with all major streaming devices, including smart TVs, PCs, Android, Mac, iOS, Firestick, and Roku.
Let’s now see how you can use ExpressVPN to change your location on Hulu, depending on the type of device you’re using.
Can I Watch Hulu Outside of the US?
The answer is yes. Even though Hulu’s geo-restriction algorithms prevent channel access by anyone not in the US, you can easily get around these restrictions if you go through a virtual private network (VPN) like ExpressVPN.
Stream American TV With Freedom
With over 70 entertainment and sports channels, Hulu provides a formidable challenge to other service providers in the streaming industry.
There are many reasons why you’d want to change your location on Hulu. If you’ve only moved to a new location temporarily, changing your location from within the app should do. But if you’re keen to unlock American TV while living abroad, you should consider getting a reliable VPN subscription that will help you get around Hulu’s geographical limits.
Are you a Hulu enthusiast? Are you able to stream content while traveling or living abroad? We’d love to know how you do it.
Feel free to share your tips or experiences in the comments section below.