How to Change your Password for Google Play
Are you afraid that someone has access to your Google Play account? Did you notice any unusual app behavior? If so, then you should probably change your password immediately.
In this article, you’ll learn how to change your Google account password. More importantly, we’ll show you what to do if you’ve forgotten your password and have no access to your account.
How to Change Your Password on Google Play?
Since Google Play is one of many Google apps linked to your Google account, you can’t change the password for Google Play alone. If you believe someone’s using your account or you can’t log in to Google Play with your current password, you need to change the password you use for all your Google accounts.
- Go to your Google account.
- Click on “Security” in the sidebar to your left.
- In the “Signing into Google” tab, click on “Password.”
- Enter your current password and click “Next.”
- Enter your new password in both text boxes and click “Change password.”
Note: In each text box, there is a small eye icon. Clicking on them will allow you to view the actual letters, numbers, and symbols of the new passwords to make sure they match.
Success! You’ve changed your Google account password. Now, use your new password to log in to your Google Play account.
How to Change Your Google Password on Android?
You don’t need to use your desktop PC to change your Google password. If you’ve synced your Google account with your Android device, you can change the password in your phone or tablet settings.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on “Google.”
- Tap “Manage your Google Account.”
- Navigate to the “Security” tab.
- Scroll down and tap on “Password” in the “Signing into Google” section.
- Enter your current password and tap “Next. “
- Enter your new password in both text boxes and tap “Change password.” Note: In each text box, there is a small eye icon. Tap on it so that you can view the actual letters/symbols of your new passwords to make sure they match.
- Tap “OK.”
Why Won’t Google Let Me Change My Password?
Being unable to change your Google account password can be frustrating. Here are the reasons why Google won’t allow you to change your password.
First, because people can have several different Google accounts, make sure that you are attempting to change your password on the correct Google account. If you’re having difficulties, it could be because you aren’t logged in to the account with the password you want to change.
If you have more than one account or share your PC with other users, this can be the case. But if you’re 100% sure that you are using the correct account, try using the account recovery option. Follow the instructions to recover your account. Then, change your password using one of the methods above.
If you’ve made too many attempts to recover your account in a 24-hour period, wait 48 hours and attempt the account recovery process again.
The worst-case scenario is that someone has hacked your account and changed the password already. The account recovery option might help if you can provide Google with sufficient info. Google’s tips for account recovery can help you with this issue.
How Can I Change My Google Username and Password?
Unfortunately, Google doesn’t let you change your username. You can only change the name associated with your Google account.
1. Go to your Google account.
2. Click on “Personal Info” in the sidebar to your left.
3. Click on your name in the “Basic info” tab.
4. Enter your new first and last name in the given fields and click “Save.”
Now, if you want to change your Google password, remain in your Google
account and do the following:
1. Click on “Security” in the sidebar to your left.
2. In the “Signing into Google” tab, click on “Password.”
3. Enter your current password and click “Next.”
4. Enter your new password in both text boxes and click “Change password.”
Note: Click on the small eye icon to view your new passwords as you type to make sure they match.
How Do I Reset My Google Password if I Forgot It?
The account recovery option mentioned earlier will help your reset your Google password, even if you forgot it.
1. Go to Google account recovery.
2. Type in your email address and click “Next.”
3. Enter the last password you remember. If that’s not it, click “Try another way.” You’ll have to answer the security questions you set up when creating your account.
4. Choose whether you want to receive a code via SMS or your recovery email.
Once you get the code, you’ll be able to recover your account and reset your password.
How Do I Find Out What My Google Play Password Is?
Once you create your Google account, you can’t view your password anywhere. You can enable your browser to save your password or keep you logged in to your Google account, but it will never reveal your password.
You’ll only be able to see the dots instead of password characters.
In a nutshell, if you forgot your current password, you’ll need to create a new one. For this, you need to go through the Google account recovery process described in the previous section.
How Do I Reset My Google Play Account Password?
If you can’t log in to your Google Play using your current password, that means that you need to change the password for your Google account. To do this from your Android device, go to the Google account recovery page within your mobile browser and follow the instructions. You’ll be able to create a new password for your account.
How Frequently Should I Change My Google Password?
If you’ve created a strong password and enabled the two-factor authentication when creating your Google account, there’s no need for you to change your password regularly.
The longer your password, the better. It should include both upper-case and lower-case letters. In addition, adding symbols and numbers will make the breach process even harder for hackers. Also, make sure that you don’t use the same password everywhere on the internet. Many sites will require you to create an account, and if you’re not careful, some of these sites may steal your password information.
Still, there are times when changing your password is a must. For instance, Google will always send you an email notification when someone has logged in to your account from a new device. If you know this wasn’t you, then immediately change your password.
But what if you want to check if someone currently has access to your account? You can check this now.
1. Go to haveibeenpwned.com.
2. Type your email address in the text box and click “pwned?”
3. If you see any breaches or threats to your email, go to your Google account and change your password.
How Do You Set Up Two-Factor Authentication?
Another step you should undertake when securing your Google account is enabling two-factor authentication (2FA). With this additional layer of account protection, your account won’t be easy to breach.
When you try to log in to your account on a new device, you’ll have to authenticate your account with your password first. The second step will include either a security code you’ll receive via SMS or a security key that you keep on your USB flash drive.
If you want to enable the two-factor authentication, follow these steps:
1. Go to your Google account.
2. Click “Security” in the sidebar to your left.
3. In the “Signing into Google” tab, click “2-Step Verification.”
4. Click “Get started.”
Follow the instructions to create the two-factor authentication.
What Happens After You Change Your Password?
Once you set up a new password, you’ll automatically be logged out of all devices linked to your Google account. You won’t receive any emails on those devices, and you won’t be able to use any services associated with your Google account. This includes Gmail, Google Play Store, or any other third-party apps linked to your account.
You’ll have to log in to each device with your new password. If you’ve enabled the two-factor authentication which we described earlier, you’ll have to authenticate your account as well. This ensures that only you have access to your Google account.
Changing Your Google Play Password
Since Google Play is linked to your Google account, changing the password for Google Play means changing the password connected to all your Google accounts. You’ve learned how to do this from your desktop browser and Android device. More importantly, if you forgot your password, Google gives you the option to recover your account and create a new password.
Apart from this, you’re now aware that you should change your password not only when someone has logged in to your account, but occasionally to prevent such an event from happening in the first place. To protect your account from hackers, use two-factor authentication as this will keep your account safe from breaches.
How did you change your Google account password? Did you manage to find another way? Let us know in the comments section below.