How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook
Every user is required to enter an email address upon creating a Facebook account. Fortunately, that email address can be changed at a later date.
In this guide, we will show you how to change your primary email address on Facebook across different devices. Plus, we’ll answer some of the questions you might have regarding this topic.
How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook
You need to enter your email address every time you want to access your Facebook account. But if you somehow lose the password for that email address, or if you simply don’t use it anymore, you have the option to change it on Facebook.
No matter the reason, your Facebook account should always be paired with the email address you are currently using. The reason being that Facebook sends you important notifications. If someone is trying to contact you, for example, or if someone is trying to access your account.
The good news is that you can change your email address on any device, although the methods differ to some extent. This is how to change your email on Facebook on your web browser:
- Open your internet browser and go straight to Facebook.
- Log in with your current email address.
- Locate the arrow icon at the top right corner on the Menu.
- From the drop-down list of options, click on Settings & Privacy.
- Click on Settings on the new list of options, which will take you to a separate page.
- In General Account Settings find the Contact field.
- Select the Edit option, which will take you to your current email information.
- Select “+ Add another email or mobile number.”
- Type in your new email address in the box. You can also add a new phone number if you want.
At this point, you might be asked to enter your Facebook password again to confirm that it’s really you. Once you’ve finished, Facebook will send you an authorization email on the new email address you want to link to your Facebook account. After you confirm the new email, you’re all set!
How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook App
As we mentioned before, you can also change your primary email on Facebook on your mobile device. Note that the instructions below are intended for iOS devices
- Open the Facebook app on your phone.
- If you aren’t logged in, then do it now.
- Navigate to the three horizontal lines at the bottom of your screen – that’s the Menu.
- Scroll all the way down to find Settings.
- Tap on it. It will open the Account Settings tab.
- Go to Personal Information and then Contact Info.
- Once you enter the Manage Contact Info tab, look for the “add email address” option.
- Type in the email address you want your Facebook account to be linked to.
- To save the settings, enter your Facebook password in the box below.
- Tap on Add Email.
Just like with the web version, you will automatically receive a confirmation email. Once you confirm that it’s really you, Facebook will immediately change your new email and make it your primary contact. And that’s all there is to it!
Note: You can also add a new phone number on Facebook on your mobile device if you want.
How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook on Android
Changing your primary email on Facebook on an Android device is similar to how you do it on an iOS device. The only thing that’s different is the location of the settings and certain tabs.
- Open your Facebook app. Log in if you haven’t.
- Find the Menu tab, this time it’s at the top right corner of your screen.
- Scroll down on Settings and then go to Account Settings.
- Go to Personal Information and then to Contact Info.
- It leads straight to the “Add email address” field. On Android devices, the adding a phone number and adding an email address options lead to two separate tabs.
- Enter your new email address in the box.
- Re-enter the Facebook password.
Note: You also have the option of adding a recovery mail, which you can use if you can’t access your primary email. You can do this on any device.
How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook Without Password
Forgetting your password can be quite tricky, especially if it’s for something as important as your email. But don’t worry, there is a solution. Depending on exactly which password you lost or forgot, we have a couple of steps you can try out.
How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook Without Your Facebook Password
To fix this problem, you need to recover your Facebook password first. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/.
- Click the option “Forgot Password?” under the Log In button.
- It will take you to a new tab where you should type in your email address.
Note: If you can’t access your email for some reason, you can enter your phone number instead.
- Facebook will automatically send you a reset code on your email.
With the code, you will be able to access your profile again. Facebook will take you to the Settings section right away, where you will be able to type in a new password. After you have followed these steps, you can proceed to change your primary email address by following the instructions we outlined above.
When you change your password, Facebook will give you the option to log out of all the other devices where you had been previously logged in. It’s your choice, but we advise you to do so, in case someone else has access to your account.
How to Change the Primary Email on Facebook Without Your Email Password
If the password you can’t remember belongs to your email, then that could be a huge inconvenience.
Technically, the only time you will actually need your email password in this process is when you need to confirm the authorization email that Facebook sent you. But if you’re already logged in, you don’t have a problem.
Of course, the process of recovering your email password will slightly differ depending on the type of email you have (Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo). As long as you have your phone number, or a recovery email, linked to your primary email, you can recover it easily.
In any case, you will receive a verification code, just like you would from Facebook, to access your email. Once you’ve created a new password, you can go back to change your primary email on Facebook.
Why Can’t I Change My Primary Email on Facebook?
Although this problem doesn’t occur often, it can happen sometimes. If you can’t change your primary email on Facebook for some reason, try following one of these steps:
• Add another email address. In cases where the primary email you want to use is already linked to another Facebook account, you might have to connect your account to another email.
• Check your spam or your social tab on your email page. Sometimes Facebook notifications will go straight to spam.
• Wait it out. If nothing works, try refreshing your page a few times and wait for Facebook to send you the verification email.
How Do I Remove My Primary Email on Facebook?
In order to change your primary email on Facebook, you also need to remove the one you will no longer be using.
• Open Facebook.
• Go straight to Settings at the top right corner of your screen.
• From there, go to Settings & Privacy.
• Navigate to the Contact section in General Account Settings.
• Add the new email address that will replace the old one.
• Once you’re done, click the Remove option next to the old email.
That’s basically all there is to it. Now you can link your new email to your Facebook account.
Keep Your Facebook Account Updated for the Optimal Experience
Now you know how to change your primary email address on Facebook on all devices. You’ve also learned what to do in case you forget any of your passwords. It’s always a good idea to update your contact information on social media. Our final piece of advice is to make sure that your social media accounts are linked to the right email address and phone number.
Have you ever changed or removed your primary email on Facebook? Did you follow the steps that were outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below!