How to Change Traits in The Sims 4
One of the main reasons players love Sims games is the wide range of characters’ personality traits and the way they affect the gameplay. However, sometimes you may not like the traits you have chosen. If you are wondering how to change them, we are here to help.
In this guide, we will explain how to change traits in The Sims 4 – while creating a Sim and afterward, with and without cheats. We will also answer some of the most common questions related to traits in The Sims 4. Read on to find out how to modify your The Sims 4 characters.
How to Change Traits in The Sims 4
For those players who prefer not to use cheats, changing character traits after it has been created isn’t all that easy. To do this on a PC, Xbox, or PS4, follow the steps below:
- Collect 5000 Satisfaction Points. This can be done by collecting whims or using a cheat.
- Visit the Rewards Store and purchase the Re-Traiting Potion.
- Drink the potion. A pop-up window will appear. Select the traits you’d like to change.
How to Change Traits in The Sims 4 With a Cheat on a PC
If you don’t want to spend time collecting points, you can use cheats to change your Sim traits. To do this on a PC, follow the instructions below:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + C on your keyboard and type in “testingcheats,” then press Enter.
- Type in “cas.fulleditmode” and press Enter.
- Press Esc on your keyboard to close the cheat input box.
- Hold Shift and click on the Sim whose traits you’d like to change.
- Choose “Edit in CAS.”
- The Create a Sim menu will appear, where you can edit any traits.
The Create a Sim menu will appear, where you can edit any traits.
How to Change Traits in The Sims 4 With a Cheat on Xbox and PS4
For console players, the steps for editing Sim traits using cheats are only slightly different from those for PC players. To use cheats on Xbox and PS4, follow the steps below:
- Press R1/RB, R2/RT, L1/LB, and L2/LT at the same time and hold for a few seconds.
- Type in “testingcheats” and select Enter.
- Select a Sim whose traits you’d like to edit and press R1/RB, R2/RT, L1/LB, and L2/LT at the same time once again.
- Type in “cas.fulleditmode” and select Enter.
- Choose “Edit in CAS” and change the desired traits.
How to Choose Traits in The Sims 4 CAS Mode
To pick traits in the Create a Sim mode, follow the steps below:
- Enter the CAS mode – either by choosing to create a new Sim or by using a cheat code.
- After you have picked the name, age, and gender of your Sim, the traits menu will open.
- Click trait hexagons to see all options.
- Pick the traits. You can choose to pick them at random by clicking the dice icon.
Tip: some mutually exclusive traits can’t be chosen together.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read this section to find out answers to some of the most common questions related to traits in Sims 4.
Can you change traits in Sims 4 in the MC Command Center?
Unfortunately, changing traits using the MC Command Center is not yet possible. The creator of MCCC is not planning to work on it until the game developers implement a new UI element.
Why can’t I change my Sim’s traits?
Once you have created a character, their traits can’t be changed anymore unless you take a Re-Traiting Potion or use cheats. Sometimes, traits can’t be changed even in the CAS mode – this happens when you are using the Story Mode. In this mode, the character traits are determined by your answers to a quiz. However, you can change traits in the Story Mode using cheats, too.
What types of traits are there in Sims 4?
There are several types of traits in Sims 4 – personality, death, bonus, and reward. Personality traits include emotional, hobby, lifestyle, and social traits. Death traits determine how a Sim will die and how they will act when becoming a ghost. The bonus and reward traits are different, mainly related to the abilities of a Sim – for example, a character can learn how to act or improve relationships with animals.
How many traits can a Sim have?
In the CAS mode, you can pick up to three personality traits for an adult Sim, up to two traits for a teen, and only one trait for children and toddlers. When children Sims grow up, you will have the option to select more traits. Bonus traits can be selected together with a character’s aspiration. You can only choose one bonus trait, and it can’t be changed later. The death traits can be chosen upon death, only one per character. The rewards traits are unlimited.
Customize Your Sim as You Wish
Hopefully, with the help of our guide, you can now change the traits of your Sims at any point in the game. After all, characters may change as time passes, just like real people. The ability to make each Sim unique is what makes the game so enjoyable.
Which Sims traits are your most and least favorite? Do you prefer to do it the quick way and use cheats to change traits or to play fair and purchase the Re-Traiting Potion? Share your opinions in the comments section below.