How to Convert a MP4 to MP3
If you want to get an audio file from a video, you’ll need to convert the MP4 to MP3. The MP3 files are supported by any device that streams music, which is one of the most common reasons for conversion. Fortunately, dozens of programs and apps allow you to do it in just a few clicks.
If you want to convert MP4 to MP3, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss the best apps for doing so across multiple platforms and provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
How to Convert a MP4 to MP3 Format on a Mac
If you’re a Mac user and want to convert MP4 to MP3, we’ve got good news for you: plenty of apps allow you to do so quickly and easily.
The app we recommend for converting is the “To MP3 Converter Free” app. In addition to converting MP4 to MP3, this app can process more than 200 audio and video formats. Plus, it enhances the quality of the MP3 files if the volume is too low.
The app offers a free and premium version. If you choose the free option, you’ll have limited options available. The premium version offers features such as converting files in batches or adding effects. Follow the steps below to install the app and convert your files:
- Open the Mac App Store and type “To MP3 Converter Free” in the search bar, or visit this website.
- Install the app on your Mac.
- Drag and drop the MP4 file to the app or browser your device to select it. Or click ‘Browse’ and select the file you’re looking for from the Finder.
- Click ‘Convert’ after selecting the file you’d like to convert.
- After it’s converted, click on the blue hyperlink to save the file.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on a Windows 10 PC
Multiple apps allow you to convert MP4 to MP3 files on Windows 10. Our recommendation is the “Vidmore Video Converter.” Keep in mind this app has a free and paid version. With the free version, you can only convert five minutes of a video file.
- Download the app from this website.
- Install the app and choose the free trial.
- Press the plus sign to add the MP4 file or drag and drop it to the app.
- On the right side, press “MP4.”
- Press “Audio” and then select the first MP3 option.
- At the bottom-left corner, choose the destination folder for the MP3 file.
- Select “Convert All.”
- Press “Continue Free Trial.”
Your MP4 file will now be converted and saved to the preferred folder. If you want to convert more than five minutes of material, save the file in high quality, add different effects to the file, etc., you’ll have to purchase a subscription.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on iPhone
If you want to convert MP4 files to MP3 and you’re using an iPhone, you’ll be happy to know there’s a free app you can use. Its name is “Media Converter – video to MP3,” and we’ll walk you through the process:
- Go to the App Store and download “Media Converter – video to MP3” or tap this link to do it.
- Open the app and tap the plus sign at the top-right corner.
- Choose the video you want to convert. You can import it from your folders, camera roll, or iCloud Drive.
- Now that you’ve added it to the library tap the “i” icon on the right.
- Tap “Extract audio” and customize the settings. You can extract a specific part of the video, adjust volume, etc.
- Tap “Start conversion.”
- Once converted, the file will appear in the library. Tap the “i” icon on the right.
- Choose whether you want to share the file via an app or save the file to your device.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Android
Android users who want to convert MP4 to MP3 files can find several helpful apps in Play Store. The app we recommend is called “Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter and Merger.”
In addition to converting your video to audio files, the app allows you to customize the volume, cut specific parts of the files, etc.
Follow the steps below to use it:
- Go to Play Store and search for “Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter and Merger” or go to this link.
- Install and open the app.
- Choose “Video to Audio.” The app will ask for permission to access media and files on your device.
- Select the MP4 file you want to convert.
- Under “Format,” select “MP3.”
- Tap “Convert.”
- The file will be converted and saved to your device. You can choose to share it via different apps, set it as a ringtone, etc.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in iTunes
You can convert MP4 to MP3 files in iTunes for Windows or the Apple Music app for Mac. If you’re using Windows, follow these steps:
- Open iTunes.
- In the main menu, press “Edit” and then press “Preferences.”
- Select the “General” tab and press “Import Settings.”
- In the import menu, choose MP3 Encoder.
- Choose the files you’re converting, press “File,” and then choose “Convert.”
- Press “Create MP3 Version.”
Your file will be converted to MP3 and placed in the library. If you want it elsewhere, drag and drop it to the preferred location.
If you’re using a Mac, follow the steps below:
- Open Apple Music.
- Press “Music” and then select “Preferences.”
- Go to the “Files” tab.
- Then press “Import Settings.”
- Choose the MP3 encoding format from the dropdown menu.
- Select the files you’re converting.
- Select “File,” then press “Convert.”
- Press “Create MP3 Version.” The MP3 files will appear in your library.
Note: If the option to Create MP3 Version is greyed out, you need to download the file to your Mac first. First, you’ll need to authorize your Mac by clicking Account at the top of your Mac and signing in. Then, click Authorizations. Lastly, authorize your computer and go back to the Music app. Then, hover over the file you want to convert and click on the small down arrow that appears. Wait for the download to complete and attempt the conversion again.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 using VLC
VLC is one of the most popular free media players, and it’s available on multiple platforms. It doesn’t offer many features for editing and customizing your files, but it covers the basics, which is enough for most users. Here’s how to convert your files with the VLC Player:
- If you don’t have it already, download the player from this website and open it.
- Select “Media” and choose the “Convert/Save” option.
- Press “Add” and select the file you want to convert.
- Select “Convert/Save.”
- Go to “Profile” and choose “Audio – MP3.”
- Press “Browse” and choose where you want to save the file.
- Select “Start.”
When the process is completed, your file will be saved to the folder of your choice.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in Audacity
Audacity is another free application available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. In addition to other options, you can use it for converting MP4 to MP3 files. To do so, you’ll need to install the FFmpeg library, without which Audacity can’t convert your files. Here’s how to do it:
- If you haven’t already, download Audacity and open it.
- If you’re on Windows, press “Edit” and open “Preferences.” If you’re on Mac, press “File” and then select “Preferences.”
- Open the “Libraries” tab.
- Press “Download” next to “FFmpeg Library.” You’ll be redirected to the FAQ section for the FFmpeg library. Open the installation section corresponding to your operating system to access the instructions.
- Once you’ve installed the FFmpeg library, open the folder with the MP4 file you want to convert, and drag and drop it to Audacity.
- Press “File” and select “Export as MP3” under “Export.” Choose the destination for the MP3 file.
Once the conversion is completed, the file will be saved to the selected folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some more answers to your questions about file conversions.
What happens when I convert an MP4 file to MP3?
If you aren’t familiar with file formats and conversions, you may wonder what happens when you convert an MP4 file to an MP3. Fortunately, it’s a relatively simple concept to grasp. A file in MP4 format contains audio and video. When you convert to an MP3 format, you’re removing any video qualities left with only audio.
Do I need to convert my files?
The decision to convert your files depends heavily on your needs. For example, as explained above, an MP4 file contains video while the MP3 format contains only audio. The most common reason to convert these files is to save space on your device.
Convert MP4 to MP3 for Free
Converting MP4 to MP3 files allows you to save favorite tracks from videos and listen to them whenever you want. Most apps require you to purchase a subscription, but we’ve gathered this list of free apps or those offering free trials that allow conversion without paying. Although most free versions limit the number of available options, they get the job done.
How do you convert MP4 to MP3 files? Do you use some of the apps we’ve mentioned above? Tell us in the comments section below.