How to Convert WAV to MP3
The WAV audio file has superior audio quality. The accuracy and preservation capabilities of this format remain vastly superior to MP3 files. That said, you can rarely hear the differences if you do not use high-end audio equipment. And you may care even less if you’re not an audiophile.
With that out of the way, it is true that MP3 files still have their benefits. The main reason that most people choose it is that it is more manageable. It needs less storage space, which makes it ideal for building up song libraries. If you don’t know how to convert large WAV files into MP3 files, here are the tutorials that should make things easier for you.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 on a Windows 10 PC
Making audio file conversions on Windows PCs is very easy. Apart from the tons of available downloadable programs that handle this, there is also a built-in option…
ByClick Downloader – The Easy Option
We’ll start with the easiest way to convert your WAV files to MP3. ByClick Downloader is a reliable software that you can download on your PC and easily convert files. Here’s how to convert your WAV files to MP3 using the simplest solution we know of:
- Install the ByClick Downloader on your PC using this link.
- Select the MP3 option under Choose Format.
- Start downloading the WAV file. Wait for the finished product to complete.
Now, you’ve successfully converted your WAV file to an MP3 on your PC with only a few clicks of a button.
Windows Media Player
If you do not want to get involved with third-party software, Windows Media Player can handle audio conversions for you. It’s not the best overall choice, but it’s already installed and gets the job done.
- Launch Windows Media Player.
- Drag and drop the WAV file you want to convert into the Music Library.
Alternatively, you can right-click on the file and choose to import it to Windows Media Player.
- Click on the Organize button.
- Next click on the Options button.
- From the new window, select the Rip Music tab.
- Click Change and set your desired storage location for ripped files.
- Under the Rip Settings section, select the MP3 format.
- Click Apply then OK.
Now select the file from the library and then click on the Rip button.
VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player also has audio file conversion capabilities. Since this is one of the most popular video players, you should probably know how to use this feature.
- Launch your VLC player.
- Click the Media button.
- Select the Convert/Save option.
- Click the Add button and select your desired WAV file.
- Click on the Convert/Save button to confirm and continue.
- From the Profile list, select the MP3 file format.
- Click the Browse button and then select a storage folder for your new file.
- Press Start to initiate the process.
Note that VLC can’t handle batch conversions. Windows Media Player can rip complete CDs but struggles with bulk WAV to MP3 conversions.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 on a Mac
If you’re on a Mac open iTunes. Once you open iTunes, follow these steps:
Click iTunes at the top of your screen and click ‘Preferences.’
Click ‘Import Settings’
Choose ‘MP3 Encoder’
If you have Apple Music on your Mac, go to Music. Click on the Preferences option then click on ‘Files.’ Once you’ve selected the ‘Import Settings’ option, select MP3 Encoder.
Now you can begin converting the files on your Mac.
Highlight the songs you want to convert and click ‘File’ in the upper right.
Click ‘Convert’ then, ‘Create MP3’ version
Click on the Create MP3 Version option, and wait for the process to wrap up.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 on a Chromebook
Chromebooks are not the fastest laptops in terms of performance. But, when it comes to converting a WAV file into an MP3 file, they do a pretty good job. The easiest way to use a conversion tool on a Chromebook is to add one from the Chrome Web Store to your browser.
- Launch the Chrome Web Store.
- Look for the WAV to MP3 Converter extension. Add it to your browser.
- Use the drag-and-drop method to add the desired file.
- Alternatively, click the Browse button to search your drive for WAV files. Select the Convert WAV to MP3 option.
- Click Start Converting.
- Click on the new link displayed underneath when it is done.
Note that you can only access the download link for one hour. This plugin only handles single file conversions and has no option for bulk conversions.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 on an iPhone
On an iPhone, you may have to download and install a dedicated audio converter. One of the best tools to use in this situation is The Audio Converter by SmoothMobile. It’s a top-rated App Store app that works smoothly on iPhones and iPads.
- Search for The Audio Converter on the App Store.
- Install the app on your device.
- Launch the app.
- Choose a file you want to convert.
- In the From, field put the WAV file.
- In the To field, select the MP3 format from the dropdown menu.
The conversion happens on a cloud server, yet it is secure and swift. It should also spare some of the battery life.
Tip – You can also share a file from another app and use it in the converter. It’s also possible to then share the MP3 in another app.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 on an Android Device
If you are using Android 7.0 OS or newer, you have a few apps that can help you do conversions. One example is WAV to MP3 Converter.
- Search for the app in the Google Play Store.
- Install the app and launch it from your Apps list.
- Select Single Converter or Batch Converter.
- Click the Select WAV File button and choose your file.
- Click the Convert to MP3 button to initiate the process.
The app usually saves converted files on your SD card.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 through an Online Web Converter
On a Windows PC or a Mac computer, you also have the option of converting WAV files into MP3 files on your browser. Arguably, Google Chrome works best in most situations. However, you may also use other popular alternatives. Here are the sites that have proven to work.
Online Audio Converter
Online Audio Converter supports a wide range of audio file formats and conversions. What’s interesting is that you can upload a file from your device, Google Drive, or Dropbox. And you can even simply submit an URL link.
Here’s how you can convert files.
- Go to online-audio-converer.com.
- Select one of the options in the first section of the app interface.
- In the second section of the app, select your desired output file format and the quality.
- Click on the Convert button.
Note that this site supports batch conversions too, but you have to upload the files in a .zip archive.
Audio Online Convert
Another efficient and free online converter is Audio Online Convert. This tool also supports a variety of format conversions, including WAV to MP3 conversions. Using the app is simple.
- Go to audio.online-convert.com.
- Expand the Audio Converter menu on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Convert to MP3 option.
- Click on the Choose Files button.
- Alternatively, type in a URL, add files from your Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Make the desired changes under the Optional Settings section. Click the Start Conversion button.
Value Tip #1 – You can also use drag-and-drop to add files and prepare them for conversion.
Value Tip #2 – It’s possible to trim audio if you only wish to save certain portions of a song. Or if you want to remove unnecessarily long intros and outros.
There are many other tools available for online audio format conversions. The majority of them are also free, although they may present some limitations. For example, some online tools may not allow batch uploads and conversions.
Others work slowly unless you subscribe to a premium version. In some cases, you can find limited support for conversions. However, WAV to MP3 is a popular option and almost always available. Using online conversion tools is usually easy enough. Most of them delete your files after the conversion (or at least that’s what they claim to) so that your data remains safe.
Pro Tip – Many of the browser conversion tools will also work if you use a Windows PC, Mac, or Chromebook. So, they stand as promising alternatives for any desktop conversion tool. However, not all browser conversion tools come with mobile-friendly interfaces.
To most home audiences, the differences in quality between WAV files and MP3 files are minimal. The MP3 format is preferable for storage purposes regardless of the device. And, as you can see, there is no shortage of third-party or built-in apps that you can use and for any OS or platform.
Do you know of other apps that work even better or have additional useful features? Do you think that saving storage space is not worth it if the audio quality is going to be lower? Let us know what you think of the WAV vs. MP3 debate in the comments section below.