How to Create an Instagram Group
Social media platforms like Instagram do a pretty good job of letting you share posts and stories and chat with your friends. However, some options like creating an Instagram group aren’t that transparent.
If you want to know how to create an Instagram group, this article has you covered. In addition, you’ll find tips and tricks for using Instagram groups, navigating through the settings, and some other helpful information.
Don’t bother sending tons of separate messages anymore; create IG groups instead.
You probably already have the Instagram app on your phone, but remember to update it regularly. This will keep the app running optimally. Here are the Google Play Store and Apple App Store links to save you some time.
Note that the browser version of Instagram doesn’t support direct messaging, let alone creating group chats. We’d avoid it entirely unless you need to take a quick peek at someone’s post or story while on your computer.
The reason Instagram groups aren’t commonly used is that Instagram doesn’t make the function easy to find. You need to jump through hoops to find groups, but once you do, everything’s pretty straightforward. To help you along the way, we’ll show you the entire process, step by step.
How to Create an Instagram Group
Let’s get straight to it. Follow the steps below to create an Instagram group:
- Start the Instagram app on your Android or iOS device.
- Tap the Direct Message icon in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Tap the Create Group icon in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Look at the Suggested list of people and tap the circles next to their names to add them.
- Alternatively, you can tap on the Search bar and type out the names of people you want to add – it’s up to you.
- Once you add the people one way or the other, tap the Chat option in the top-right corner of the screen.
- The group won’t be created until you send the first message. Then you can name the group, and other people will be notified of the messages and the group’s existence.
Group Chat Settings on Instagram
That’s how you create an IG group. Then, you can browse many options and change the group settings. You can even add more members to the group. Here’s how:
- Start the IG app.
- Tap on Direct Messages.
- Select the group chats you’d like to access.
- Tap the “See group members” button.
- Scroll down and tap on Add People (big plus icon).
- Freely add new members whenever you like.
You’ll see many other great options on this page. You can mute messages, individual members, or even leave or end the chat. Those options are near the bottom of the group chat settings page.
Also, there’s a Shared tab, under which you’ll see all the media shared with the group (images and videos). Other group members can freely add people to the group unless you turn on the option for Approval Request to Join.
Next, you (being the admin of the group) can approve all new members prior to joining.
Group Chat Options on IG
Those were the settings, but what about the options? Group chats function nearly the same as direct one-on-one messaging. You can send audio and video recordings (photo or video), add documents and files, stickers, or send messages.
Additionally, you can start video calls with the group, which isn’t recommended if there are too many people involved. Note that you will need a stable and fast internet connection for video calls.
When you send something, you’ll see which of the members have seen the post. This will be instantly updated whenever you’re connected to the internet. Logically, you need an internet connection at all times to chat in groups, as well as to send any files or photos.
A final tip, you can actually unsend a message in a group chat. Just long-press the message you want to be removed, and press Unsend Message. This has a cool poof animation, which makes the message vanish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to more of your questions about Instagram DMs.
How do I remove someone from an Instagram group chat?
Fortunately, you can easily remove a member from your Instagram group. Here’s what to do:
1. Navigate to the group and tap on See Group Members.
2. Scroll down and tap on the three dot icon next to the user’s name.
3. Tap on Remove User.
The page will refresh and that member will no longer be a part of your Instagram group.
Can I leave an Instagram group?
Yes! If you want to leave a group you can do this:
1. Open the group and tap on See Group Members.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Leave Group.
Now, you won’t receive any notifications or be able to participate in the group.
You can now enjoy texting in groups on Instagram. Note that a single group chat can host only 32 people at once. This should be enough for any large group of friends, classmates, coworkers, etc. Since everyone in the group can see what you’re sending, a little care is advised.
Basically, anything that applies to direct messaging applies to group messages too. Have fun experimenting with all the cool features of group chats. Or maybe you think Instagram should improve the visibility of groups in general. Let us know what you think in the comments section below.