How to Create Your Own Instagram Highlights
Instagram has become one of the leading platforms for marketing, businesses, and brand recognition. For that reason, every serious business, influencer, and celebrity has their own Instagram highlights. Your best stories on Instagram are all compiled into your Instagram highlights.
If you want to know how to create your own Instagram highlights, you’re in the right place. Keep reading to find out all about the best ways of creating Instagram covers on your own.
Instagram Highlights 101
The next thing you need is Instagram stories. If you have just made an Instagram story, here’s how to add it your highlights:
- Open Instagram and tap on your story.
- Select Highlight in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- Select the Highlight where you’d like to add this story.
- Alternatively, you can select New to make a new Highlight. Name it and tap on Add to add your story to the latest Highlight.
Alternative Method for Creating Instagram Highlights
Here’s an alternative method you can use to make new Instagram highlights. It’s probably more efficient because it allows you to add multiple stories to a highlight at once. Follow these steps:
- Start the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap on your Profile (icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen).
- Select the New option (plus sign).
- Choose the stories you want to appear in the highlight (New Highlight window).
- Press the Next button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Rename the highlight to your preference, choose the highlight cover, and press Done to confirm.
How to Edit Instagram Highlights Cover
Choosing and editing a good cover image for your Instagram Stories is important, as it gives your followers or people visitng your page an idea of what will be included in the highlight. Editing a Highlight Cover Photo is pretty straightforward, simply follow these steps:
- Navigate to your Instagram Profile and select the Highlight who’s cover image you would like to edit.
- In the bottom right corner, tap the 3 dot button that says “More.”
- Tap “Edit Highlight”
- Tap “Edit Cover” near the top.
- Select the photo you would like to use as a cover image from the Highlights. Use your fingers to zoom or reposition the part of the photo to be used as the cover.
Use Third-Party Apps
If you’re not a Photoshop whiz, don’t worry. Some great third-party apps and sites can help you create your Instagram highlights cover. Let’s go over the instructions for some of the best apps you can use.
Over is one of the most popular free tools you can use to boost your Instagram profile. This app is available for free on iOS and Android devices. Download it by following the link from above and start using it for Instagram highlights covers:
- Find an icon pack online and download it on your phone or tablet.
- Launch Over on your device.
- Tap on the image if you want to import a cover, or choose from the wide selection of covers (look at the Layout Collections section).
- When you decide on a cover, you need to adjust its size. Select the Layers menu and choose the background layer. Finally, tap on Instagram Story cover dimensions.
- Feel free to experiment with the colors of your cover. Select the Background and use the roller to change the color. If you have a brand, adjust the brightness to resemble it.
- Next, you can go back to the Layers menu and delete anything unnecessary (any extra words, etc.).
- When your background is complete, tap on Image and choose an icon from the device’s gallery.
- Place the icon in the center (feel free to resize it by pinching it with two fingers). You can add your icon to Favorites to find it easier next time.
- Alternatively, you can use text instead of icons. Choose Text instead of Image and choose the font.
- When you’re done with everything, confirm with the yellow checkmark: Press Export and then Save. Your new Instagram highlights cover will be saved in your device’s gallery.
Canva is an excellent alternative to Over. It’s a free tool with basically the same function as Over. Follow the instructions to create your Instagram Highlight covers with Canva:
- Visit canva.com and sign up for an account (free of charge).
- Click on Create a Design and choose custom dimensions.
- Set the dimensions to 1080(width) by 1920(height), so it can fit Instagram highlights.
- Fetch your icon from the computer. You can easily find many images online if you don’t have one prepared.
- Select Upload an Image or Video. Select the icon image.
- Select the Background (there’s a wide selection of Canva images you can use, or use natural colors).
- Tap on Add a New Page so you can replicate the cover. You can keep uploading new icons and creating multiple covers.
- When done, click on Publish, followed by Download. Select the file type and confirm with Download.
These files will be zipped. Make sure to unzip them and send them to your mobile gallery so you can use them as Instagram highlights covers. On Instagram, visit the profile page and tap on highlights you want to edit. Select More, followed by Edit Highlight, and finally choose Edit Cover. Choose the image you created in Canva from your gallery and upload it. Press Done to confirm.
Enjoy Your New Highlights on Instagram
Now you can create your own Instagram highlights and covers for them. If you’re using IG professionally, this is especially important. Make sure to choose your brand colors, and perhaps add its name to your cover.
Have any tips, tricks or questions relating to Instagram Stories? Please share with us in the comment section below.