How To Delete All Comments on YouTube
It is an understatement to say that YouTube comments have a bad rap on the internet. They tend to be seen as inflammatory, crude, and pointless.
If you are lucky, it is possible to have valuable discussions on YouTube. You can find thoughtful or touching discussions about videos that you enjoy. Some channels have a dedicated community of enthusiastic commenters.
But it is far too easy to get into pointless arguments on this platform. You are likely to run into people arguing in bad faith. Violent language is difficult to avoid. There is also a large number of marketing bots leaving irrelevant comments.
All in all, it is not surprising that many people get fed up with YouTube comments. If this is the case for you, you might want to delete all your comments made on this platform, or if you are a content creator, you can delete the comments others have left on your channel.
Getting Rid Of Every Comment You’ve Ever Made On YouTube
It is simple to remove the comments you have left on any YouTube channel. The only exception is comments made before Google took over YouTube back in 2006.
How do you view and delete your comments? Here are two approaches you can take.
Use Your Comment History
To see every comment you have made on this site, access your YouTube Comment History page.
To delete an individual comment, do the following:
- Find the comment in your history.
- Select More (Three Horizontal Dots Icon).
- Select Delete.
- Confirm that you want to delete it permanently.
Unfortunately, there is no option to bulk delete comments from your history. If you want to get rid of everything you’ve ever said on this platform, you will either need to continue doing this to each and every one of your comments or opt for a different approach and make some changes to your channel.
Hide Your Channel
YouTube gives you the option to hide your channel. This is a temporary measure, and it hides your content, your name, as well as your subscriptions and likes. You can re-enable the channel at any time. Hiding your channel does not affect anything you do with your Google account on other platforms.
But when you go through this process, there is an unexpected upside. All the comments you have ever made get deleted. Unlike the other changes, this deletion is permanent.
It is enough to keep your channel hidden for a few minutes. When you re-enable it, all your past comments will be gone. What steps should you take to hide your YouTube channel?
- Sign in to YouTube. If you own multiple accounts, make sure you are signed in with the right one.
- Click on Your Profile. Select your profile pic in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on Advanced Account.
- Scroll down and select the Delete channel. When you select this option, you may need to reenter your Google account address and password. Clicking this button isn’t going to delete your channel permanently.
- Select I want to hide my channel. On some versions of YouTube, the same option may be labeled “I want to hide my content”.
- I want to hide my channel. After you click on this, YouTube will show you exactly what you can expect if you go through with hiding your channel.
- Check every option on the list. The list notes that comments made directly with Google+ won’t get deleted. But other than that, hiding your channel will permanently remove all of your YouTube comments from all channels. Your likes and subscriptions are only temporarily hidden. When you have gone through the checklist, click on HIDE MY CHANNEL.
This is all you have to do to get rid of your comments. Now, it is time to reactivate your account:
- Sign in to YouTube with Your Google Account.
- Go to Create a Channel. Follow this URL: http://www.youtube.com/create_channel.
- Fill Out the Form.
Make sure you do not click on To use a business or other name, click here. After all, you are not looking to make an entirely new channel.
This process should reinstate your channel. After this, you can make your videos viewable from Video Manager.
Deleting Comments Made By Other People
If you are a content creator, it is a good idea to make use of YouTube’s comment moderation options. You can exert some control over the kind of comments you allow on your channel. For example, it is possible to filter out anything that comes with an outgoing link or a hashtag.
What if you want to delete someone else’s comment on your channel?
Simply select the three dots icon beside the comment. You can choose to report the commenter for inappropriate content, or you can hide their comments from the channel.
Click on Delete to remove their comment, and note that this causes all responses to that comment to disappear too.
So what can you do if you are not the original commenter or the owner of the video? If there is content on YouTube that violates the company’s community guidelines, you can file a report. Upon an investigation, the comment may or may not be removed.
- Locate the video and reveal the comments.
- Tap on the three vertical dots.
- Select Report from the pop-up menu.
- Choose one of the following options.
- Tap Report in the lower corner of the pop-up.
The following are your choices for reporting the content:
- Unwanted commercials, content, or spam
- Pornography or explicit materials
- Hate or Graphic Speech
- Harassment or bullying
You may not have the same options to delete comments as you would if you were the poster, but YouTube does attempt to protect others from harmful speech.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find all of my YouTube Comments?
Your YouTube comments can be difficult to find if you aren’t familiar with YouTube’s interface. But once you know how to find them, it’s quite simple. Just follow these steps:
1. Open YouTube and sign in to your account.
2. Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper right-hand corner. Then, click on History.
3. Click on Comments on the right-hand side.
This will open a new webpage where you can view all of the comments you’ve posted on the platform.
How do I find all of the comments on my channel?
Having your own YouTube channel is exciting. But it’s also a lot of work. YouTube does have very strict community guidelines, which means you’ll need to monitor what other people comment as well as the content you publish.
To find the comments on your channel, follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your YouTube account and click on the three horizontal lines in the upper right-hand corner.
2. Click on Your Videos.
3. Click on the Comments icon next to the video you’re interested in.
Now, you will see a list of comments. If you need to delete the comments, follow the steps above to remove them.
If I delete my YouTube account, will all of my comments disappear?
Yes. If you feel the need to quickly remove every interaction you’ve ever had with YouTube (including comments, likes, and subscriptions), you can delete your entire account.
However, this may not be the best solution because you will lose all of your own YouTube videos but all of the ones you like too.
If you need help deleting your YouTube account, check out this article.
A Final Thought
Getting rid of your own comments is a great way to start anew on YouTube. It can be a great feeling to delete embarrassing or overly personal comments you made years ago. Remember that this platform is much easier to use when you take control of your own experiences and limit the number of people you interact with.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
9 thoughts on “How To Delete All Comments on YouTube”
“you cant delete all comments, do it one at a time”
Boss, cheers lad. Deffo what I wanted and wasnt a waste of my time at all