How to Disable Restricted Mode While Browsing YouTube
YouTube offers a wide range of user-friendly features that allow you to take charge of your viewing experience. Restricted Mode is one such setting. Once enabled, it prevents potentially inappropriate content from appearing on your home page.
However, if you find the feature too restricting, you can turn it off in a few simple steps. In this article, we’ll show you how to disable Restricted Mode while browsing YouTube on different devices and explain how the setting works.
How to Disable Restricted Mode While Browsing YouTube?
Restricted Mode is an optional setting that removes mature or inappropriate content from your YouTube home page. Once you turn it on, you won’t have access to any video that clashes with YouTube’s Community Guidelines.
The processes of turning Restricted Mode on or off are practically identical. In both cases, you have to do it manually through your account settings. Here’s how to disable Restricted Mode while browsing YouTube:
- Open your browser and go to youtube.com.
- Click on your profile picture in the top-right corner to open a drop-down menu.
- At the bottom of the list, find the Restricted Mode toggle. If it’s on, the text will appear in blue. Click on it to disable it.
Once you’ve successfully disabled Restricted Mode, the text will turn grey. You can now watch any YouTube video, regardless of the nature of its content.
Restricted Mode can only function on a local level. This means you need to turn it off manually for each device or browser individually. If you want to disable Restricted Mode on your phone, you need to use the YouTube app. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the YouTube icon to open the app.
- In the top-right corner, tap on your profile picture.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Scroll down and select Settings from the list of options.
- Open the General settings section.
- Tap on the toggle next to Restricted Mode to turn it off.
How Do I Disable My YouTube App?
Most Google apps are already installed on Android OS devices, and YouTube (which is owned by Google) is included. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t change the app settings. In most cases, you can both disable and uninstall YouTube in just a few simple steps.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your Settings app.
2. Open the Apps section, then select the Manage apps option.
3. A list of apps will appear at the bottom of the screen. Scroll until you find YouTube, then tap to open it. You can also use the search dialog box.
4. Under the app icon, tap on the Disable button.
Keep in mind that Android devices that run on MIUI don’t allow you to disable pre-installed apps. You can use the Force Stop feature instead.
If you want to remove the app altogether, there are two ways you can do it.
Here’s how to uninstall the YouTube app through Settings:
1. Go to Settings > Apps.
2. Open the Manage apps section.
3. Locate the YouTube app and click on it.
4. Select the Uninstall button. Confirm with OK.
The other way to uninstall YouTube is by using the Google Play Store app. Here’s how:
1. Open the Google Play Store app.
2. In the top-left corner of the screen, click on the three horizontal lines. Select the My apps & games tab from the drop-down menu.
3. Tap on the Installed section. All your previously installed apps will appear in the list below. Scroll down to find YouTube. The apps are usually listed in alphabetical order.
4. Tap to open YouTube. Under the app name, click on the Uninstall button. A small pop-up window will appear, asking you to confirm. Press Uninstall to complete the process.
If you’re an iOS user, just hold down the YouTube icon and then tap to “Disable” it.
What Is ‘Restricted Mode’ on YouTube?
In 2010, YouTube added Restricted Mode to its list of built-in features. The optional setting was designed to give audiences more control over their viewing experience. Once enabled, it will remove any adult content from your YouTube home page.
So, what constitutes a restricted video? The YouTube algorithm uses a variety of signals for filtering content. This includes analyzing the video’s description, title, metadata, and age limits. If a video is recognized as mature or potentially inappropriate, viewers with Restricted Mode turned on will not be able to see it.
When a video clashes with the YouTube Community Guidelines, it’s restricted to certain audiences. The following list explains what’s recognized as adult content:
• Abusing drugs and alcohol. Conversations about drug and alcohol abuse are also considered mature content.
• Engaging in sexual activity or describing graphic sexual situations. If the video is educational in nature, Restricted Mode might allow it. This mostly refers to discussions about sexuality and sexual education. Kissing and other forms of non-sexual affection are not considered adult content.
• Depicting natural disasters and tragedies (e.g., earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions).
• Depicting graphic acts of violence, even if it’s part of a news report.
• Discussing overtly mature subjects. This includes mentions of a war, crime, terrorist acts, political conflicts that ended in violence (e.g. assassinations). Such videos don’t have to contain any imagery to be recognized as mature.
• Using incendiary and demeaning language. This refers to anything that can be interpreted as inflammatory or demeaning towards a certain group or an individual (e.g., racial slurs).
• Using profane and mature language. This includes swearwords and any other form of offensive expressions.
Of course, the interpretation of Community Guidelines depends on cultural standards and sensitivities. For example, the same video can be allowed in one country and restricted in another.
Also, an age restriction is not a substitute for Restricted Mode. A video can be allowed for audiences of all ages and still be banned if the setting is enabled.
How Do I Disable Restricted Mode on YouTube on iPhone?
Even though YouTube is no longer a built-in app on iOS devices, Restricted Mode is still available. You can turn it on or off as you would on your computer. Here’s how to disable restricted Mode on YouTube on iPhone:
1. Open your YouTube app and click on your profile icon.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
3. Under General, toggle Restricted Mode to Off.
How to Enable Incognito Mode on YouTube?
Incognito mode allows you to browse YouTube without making changes to your search or watch history. To enable Incognito Mode, you need to update your YouTube app to get the latest version. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your Google Play Store app and type “youtube” in the search dialog box.
2. Select YouTube from the search results.
3. Tap on the Update button under the app name.
After you’ve downloaded the updated version, you can now enable Incognito Mode on your mobile app. Here’s how to do it:
1. Tap on the YouTube icon to open the app.
2. Click on your profile icon to access the drop-down menu.
3. Select Turn on Incognito from the list of options.
Incognito Mode will automatically turn off after 90 minutes of inactivity.
As of now, Incognito Mode is only available for Android devices. If you want to browse YouTube in Incognito Mode on your computer, you can pause the Watch History. Here’s how:
1. Open your browser, go to youtube.com and click on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
2. Select History from the drop-down menu.
3. Click on the small pause icon next to Pause Watch History.
The videos you watch after pausing your watch history won’t appear in your account log.
Why Is My YouTube in Restricted Mode?
Restricted Mode is usually disabled by default. If you want to turn it on, you have to do it manually. But what if the setting is already enabled on a particular device or browser? Here’s a list of possible causes:
· Network restrictions. If your device is connected to a public network, the Restricted Mode is probably automatically enabled. You can try turning it off manually. If that doesn’t work, switch to a different network.
· Parental control. Apps like Family Link allow parents to change the settings on their child’s YouTube account. If the child is using a device that’s linked to the app, they can’t disable Restricted Mode. Only the parent can do it through their Family Link account.
· Account restriction. If you’re using a school’s account, the system administrator may have enabled Restriction Mode. It’s common practice in public institutions. Unfortunately, that means you can’t turn it off yourself.
· Cache build-up. Sometimes an excess of junk files can lead to changes in your account settings. Clear the cache from your browser or app and reset the settings.
· App glitches. Like most apps, YouTube is not immune to glitches and bugs. This is more common for the YouTube mobile app. You can try uninstalling and then reinstalling to fix the problem.
Why Can’t I Disable Restricted Mode?
Public institutions such as colleges, libraries, and archives almost always use Restricted Mode on their institutional devices. As a guest user, you aren’t allowed to turn it on or off. Only the system administrator has the authority to disable Restricted Mode.
If you can’t disable Restricted Mode on your personal device, it’s probably due to third-party interference. For example, someone from your household may have used an app to change your account settings without your knowledge.
Learn to Break Free
Restricted Mode is a nifty tool for filtering YouTube content. It can be both enabled and disabled with a few simple clicks.
However, there are certain situations where you can’t turn it off manually. Places like public libraries, schools, and colleges have strict network and account restrictions for their public devices.
Do you use Restricted Mode on your YouTube account? What do you think about YouTube’s Community Guidelines? Comment below and tell us what kind of videos you like to watch.