How to Download a Playlist from YouTube
If your phone is out of data or experiencing a poor internet connection, you might not be able to listen to streaming music on YouTube, which can be frustrating. Even without technical difficulties, it can be relaxing to be able to use your phone to listen to music without distracting connection notifications. Luckily, YouTube Music offers a simple way to download music and listen to it offline.
Follow along to learn how to download a playlist on YouTube Music, either manually or automatically.
How to Download a YouTube Playlist on a PC
One of the simpler methods for downloading a YouTube playlist on a PC is using ByClick Downloader. All you need to do is install the software and get started. Here’s what to do:
- Open a web browser and navigate to YouTube. Click on Library.
- Then, click on the Playlist you’d like to download.
- ByClick Downloader will open in the lower right corner of your screen. Click Download Playlist in the small pop-up window.
- If you don’t see the pop-up window, copy the Playlist’s URL. Then, open ByClick Downloader.
- Select the location where you’d like to retrieve your downloaded playlist. Then, set your quality.
- Click the Paste URL button.
- Click Download Playlist.
After the download completes, you will find the complete YouTube playlist in the folder you selected in step 5.
How To Download a YouTube Playlist on an Android
If you’ve taken the time to curate the perfect playlist for every mood on YouTube Music, you’ll probably want to keep them handy to listen to wherever you go. Plus, downloading entire playlists is a much more convenient way of enjoying a variety of songs offline than downloading them individually.
The process of downloading a YouTube Music playlist is straightforward – it includes a few simple steps:
- Tap the “Library” tab at the bottom.
- Go to “Playlists.”
- Find the playlist you’d like to download.
From there, you can download that playlist in two ways:
- Tap the three-dot icon next to the playlist’s name and select “Download.”
- Open the playlist and hit the “Download” button (a down-pointing arrow) under its name.
Now that your go-to playlist is available offline, you can listen to it for 30 days without reconnecting to the internet.
Note that downloading music is only available if you have a YouTube Music subscription. Otherwise, the option to download will still be visible, but if you try to use them, the app will prompt you to get a subscription.
You can easily verify if you have an active subscription by visiting the YouTube Paid Memberships page. If your subscription is active, but you can’t download music, check if you’re logged into the correct account.
YouTube Music Download Music Automatically
As great as listening to music offline is, you might forget to download your essential playlists before traveling to a remote location. YouTube Music developers have also thought of this scenario, leading them to include the option to download music automatically. This way, you’ll always have available music on the go.
This highly useful feature is called “Smart Downloads,” and you can turn it on by following these steps:
- Tap your profile photo in the upper-right corner.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Select “Library and Downloads” and turn on the “Smart downloads” option.
After turning on this feature, the app will automatically download music based on your listening history. Best of all, any track you add to a playlist you’ve previously downloaded will be downloaded automatically.
If you’re not fond of a specific playlist YouTube Music chose to download for you, you can easily remove it from your downloads. Here’s how:
- Tap the three-dot icon next to the playlist’s name.
- Select “Delete from downloads.”
You will still be able to see this playlist on your app, but it will disappear from your downloads. What’s more, the app will never re-download that playlist automatically.
The number of playlists that can be downloaded depends on the available storage space on your Android device. Note that YouTube Music is one of the few music streaming services that predominantly provides video files. Naturally, video takes more space than audio, especially if it’s high quality.
If you’d like to maximize the number of songs and playlists you can download, consider changing the music download quality.
How to Change Music Download Quality
Selecting your download quality can drastically impact the number of playlists that can be downloaded to your Android. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your profile in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings” menu.
- Press “Library and downloads” and navigate to “Media quality.”
Under the Media quality menu, you can choose between the following options:
- Audio only: This option allows you to download more music without the extra storage a video uses.
- Medium 360p: The video and audio files will be downloaded at a lower SD quality.
- High 720p: The option uses only HD quality for downloading video and audio.
How To Download a YouTube Playlist on an iPhone
Let’s say you’re studying for an important exam but can’t focus because of the annoying pings from every corner of the internet. Does that mean you have to choose between turning off the internet and getting some peace but also shutting off your go-to study playlist? Absolutely not!
The YouTube Music service made it easy to download your favorite playlist and listen to it offline whenever you feel like it.
- Go to the “Library” tab at the bottom of your screen.
- Select “Playlists.”
- Locate the playlist you’d like to download.
Once you find the playlist, you can download it in two ways:
- Press the three-dot icon next to its name and select “Download.”
- Launch the playlist and tap the “Download” button (a down-pointing arrow) under its name.
The playlist will now be available to listen to offline. Make sure to connect to the internet at least once every 30 days to be able to keep it there.
The download feature is only available for paid members. If the app isn’t allowing you to download music, your subscription might’ve expired. Visit the YouTube Paid Memberships page to check. Also, make sure you’re logged into the proper account.
Download Music Automatically
If you forget to check off “Download music” on your traveling to-do list, you might be thinking you should get ready for some excruciatingly long and boring hours. But you can let the YouTube Music app take care of this automatically and never have to worry about downloading music again.
This convenience is made possible by a handy feature known as the “Offline Mixtape” that you can turn on in four simple steps:
- Tap your profile at the top right.
- Select “Settings.”
- Go to “Downloads and Storage.” Enable the “Download an offline mixtape” option.
Once this option is enabled, the app will use your listening history and download similar music. Moreover, it will automatically download tracks added to your previously downloaded playlists.
Although the app’s algorithm is pretty spot-on, you can always remove a downloaded playlist you don’t find as appealing. Simply swipe left on that playlist.
The music selection will refresh every 24 hours, provided you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
Offline downloads are dependent on the amount of free space available on your iPhone and the quality of the downloads. Since YouTube Music allows you to download audio and video files, selecting the appropriate quality is crucial to freeing up more space.
How to Change Music Download Quality
Video files and high-quality downloads take up significantly more space, so consider switching to audio-only downloads if you’re low on storage.
- Tap your profile photo in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Choose “Settings” under the “Account” menu.
- Open the “Downloads and storage” tab. Press “Media quality.”
Alternatively, you can select the “Medium 360p” instead of the “High 720p” option and save space while still downloading video files.
How to Listen to a Playlist Offline
Once downloaded, your playlists will be stored within the app, meaning no MP3 or MP4 files will be available in your internal storage.
Follow these steps to access a downloaded playlist:
- Tap the “Library” icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap “Settings” and select the “Downloads and Storage” tab and locate your desired playlist.
Music on the Go
Music can make many unpleasant activities seem more bearable. For this reason, it’s essential to have access to your favorite playlists regardless of your internet connection. Thanks to YouTube Music’s simple download feature, you can take your music with you anywhere you go.
Have you ever tried downloading a playlist from the YouTube Music app? What is the playlist you can’t live without? Let us know in the comments section below.