How to Extract an APK on an Android Device
An Android application package file (or APK for short) is a type of format used to install programs onto an Android device. However, when apps are installed from the Google Play Store, the APK file can’t be viewed. This is because the Google Play Store processes the installation internally.
If you are using an app from outside the Google Play Store, you will need to access an APK file. In this article, we’ll be shedding some light on how to extract an APK file from your Android. We’ll be diving into a few different methods available.
Keep reading to discover more.
How to Extract an APK on Your Android Using APK Extractor
If you only need to extract one or two APK files, then it may seem redundant to download apps that have features you won’t use. For that reason, it may be in your best interest to use the APK Extractor app instead. The way this app works is by displaying a list of apps that have been installed onto your Android device already.
In order to successfully extract an APK file on your Android using this app, follow these steps:
- Open the APK Extractor app on your Android device.
- Tap on the APK file you wish to extract.
- Hit “Save” when prompted.
It really is that straightforward. Other features available on the app include multiple APK extracting, dark mode, sharing APK files, and more. Perhaps the only drawback to using this method is that the app displays multiple banner ads. There is a “watch reward video” option in exchange of removing ads for the day.
How to Extract APK on Your Android Using File Explorer
Another way to extract APK files on your Android is to use the free file manager app, File Explorer. This app is very popular among Android users who wish to organize all the files and apps on their device.
You can find this app on the Google Play Store. Once it is downloaded, here’s what you will need to do in order to extract APK files on your device:
- Launch the File Explorer app on your Android.
- On the app’s main page, tap on “Apps.”
- Next, select the APK file you wish to extract. You also have the option of selecting multiple files at this stage.
- Select “Backup” located in the bottom navbar.
- Head to “Open” to view the extracted apps.
- This action will guide you to the area on your Android where your extracted apps and files are.
How to Extract APK on Your Android Using AirDroid
If your goal is to store your extracted APK file onto your computer, then this method is for you. AirDroid is a free app which allows you to manage the apps and files on your Android through a computer browser.
The app is easily installed through the Google Play Store. Once this is done, you will need to set up your free account. When doing so, ensure that both your Android and computer are using the same Wi-Fi network. Follow the on-screen instructions in order to link your mobile device to your computer.
Once the connection is complete, follow these steps to extract APK files from your Android to your computer:
- Launch AirDroid on your Android and tap the “AirDroid Web,” then copy the IP address given.
- Open your favorite browser and enter the “IP address” on the search bar.
- Next, choose which APK files you wish to extract (you will have the option of choosing more than one at a time).
- Tap the “Download” button located at the bottom of the screen.
- Once this is complete, the APK files will instantly be downloaded onto your computer in the form of a zip file.
How to Extract APK on Your Android Directly From the Google Play Store
Contrary to the other methods seen in this guide, this one allows you to extract APK files directly from the Google Play Store. Since the file is being extracted directly from the Google Play Store, there is little chance of there being any infected files.
To successfully extract APK files using this method, here’s what you will need to do:
- From the Google Play Store, copy the URL of the app you want to extract.
- Next, head to this web tool in your browser and paste the URL.
- Select “Generate Download Link.”
- This web app will then automatically extract the APK file and provide you with the relevant link to access it.
The one flaw regarding this method is that the web app may show a few pop-up ads. This can feature can be a little annoying. However, aside from that, this method is entirely secure and straightforward.
How to Extract APK on Your Android by Downloading Online Sources
While using apps to extract APK can be convenient, you don’t actually need to use them in order to do so. In fact, it’s entirely possible to find the APK you’re after online instead. All you need to do is perform a quick Google search of the desired app name followed by “APK.” In many cases, you will find what you are looking for pretty quickly.
This method can save you a lot of time, especially if you’re only after a single file. That said, it’s important that you only download files from legitimate sites so as to avoid any potential viruses or bugs. A good place to begin looking is by heading to a site like APKMirror. It’s been running for a long time and boasts reliability and ease.
How to Extract APK on Your Rooted Android Device
If you own a rooted Android, then you won’t need to rely on any third-party apps in order to extract APK files. The process is relatively straightforward and requires only a simple directory in order to work. Here’s what you will need to do:
- Navigate your way to the “File Manager” app already on your Android.
- Once there, enable ”Root Access.”
- When prompted, make your way to the following directory, depending on your Android version: 1. /data/app 2. /data/app-private 3. /system/app/
Extract Files Without Worry
Extracting APK files may sound a little daunting if you’ve never done it before. However, once you find the method that works best, you’ll find that the process is relatively straightforward.
If you wish to extract APK to your mobile or tablet, your best bet is to use the File Explorer technique. However, if your goal is to extract the files onto your desktop, want to go with AirDroid. If you’re only after a single APK file, then it may be best to just head straight to your web browser and search for it that way.
By following the above steps, you can be on your way to extracting your much needed APK files on your Android, no matter your reasons. We hope that this article has shed a little light on how to do this with the least amount of hassle involved.
Have you tried extracting an APK file on your Android device? If so, which method worked best for you? Let us know in the comments section below.