How to Make a GIF on Facebook
It may have taken Facebook a little time to join the GIF party. Even now, the company makes it rather difficult to use and upload your favorite GIFs. Facebook added a GIF option in 2017 and is still available for some versions of the social media site. For others, there are plenty of options to create and upload your own custom GIFs or the most popular ones right inside Facebook.
These short image clips loop over and over again and are often used to enhance a point you’re trying to make. As communication becomes lost in text, a GIF (Graphic Interchange Format) helps you to relay your mood in written communications.
In this article, we’ll explain the Facebook GIF relationship and give you all of the information you need to be a GIF pro.
How to make a GIF on Facebook
At one time Facebook had its own GIF creator. Depending on the version of Facebook you’re currently running you can follow the first option or use another application to create your GIFs.
If this doesn’t work for you, or you’d like more customizing options, use Giphy. This well-known GIF creator lets you create unique and interesting GIFs to share with all of your friends on the social media platform.
From the website, you can choose to upload your own video or use one of the trending videos to create the GIF you need.
When you’ve finished, click the Facebook icon to share your GIF to Facebook.
Fortunately for those who really want to get creative, Facebook has introduced a Boomerang feature. This short video clip will continuously play, looping over and over again. To this video, you can add GIFs, stickers, text, and even emojis to fully customize it nearly any way you’d like.
- From your News Feed tap the Photo button to access the camera icon in the upper right-hand corner. Toggle the switch from Photo to Boomerang.
2. Tap on the Sticker icon at the top, then tap on GIF to add your GIF to your video. You can also swipe left to access more filters or add text and effects.
3. Choose the GIF you’d like to add to your video and use your finger to long-press the image and drag it where you want it to appear in your recording. Once you’ve perfected your Boomerang video tap Next and follow the on-screen prompts to post it.
How to add a Facebook GIF profile picture
Once you’ve created a GIF, you can make it your profile picture. You can also turn any GIF online into a profile picture.
- To turn a static profile picture into a moving one go to your profile and click Edit in the bottom right-hand corner of your existing profile picture.
- From here you can either Take a New Profile Video, to record a new clip or Select Profile Video. The latter will open your camera roll and your list of videos will appear.
- Select your video, trim it if appropriate, and select Save.
Facebook’s foray into the world of GIFs is likely to have been driven by the success of GIFs on Facebook-owned WhatsApp. WhatsApp added the option to send GIFs either saved on your phone, or via the built-in GIF search engine to individual friends and groups of people.
The feature lets you edit GIFs on your phone with captions, stickers, and drawings, time the length of clips, and convert your six-second videos into GIFs on the fly. Live photos- the iPhone photographs that capture a couple of seconds of the video before the image is snapped- can also be sent as GIFs.
How to Add a GIF to a Post
Whether you’ve just created a GIF or you have one in mind already, you can add these quirky images to your Facebook Status.
- Tap the What’s on your mind, box as you normally would and scroll down to GIF.
2. Use the Search function to find specific content or scroll through the options available. Once you’ve chosen your GIF, tap on it.
3. Type your status and post. If you have a custom GIF that you’ve created you’ll need to take a different approach. Create your GIF, copy it, then paste it into your post. Facebook’s algorithm will automatically detect the GIF and upload it in the proper format.
How to Add a GIF to a Comment
GIFs make comments more fun. Whether you’re trolling someone in a heated debate or you’re sending a Happy Birthday wish, they just make commenting better. To add a GIF to a comment simply tap the ‘GIF’ icon, search or scroll until you find the perfect one and tap it. Post your comment.
How to Send a GIF in Messenger
Sending a GIF in messenger is much the same as posting one in a comment.
- Tap the GIF icon and search for the GIF you’d like to share. Once you find it, tap it and it will send through automatically.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make a GIF on Facebook?
At one time there was an option using Facebook’s built-in camera feature to design your GIFs withing the Facebook app. Unfortunately the company phased this option out after recent updates.
Before these updates you could tap on the camera icon then scroll to the option for a GIF. From there you can create a GIF and proceed to posting it as your status. If, somehow, you’re still running an older version of Facebook, you should see the option in the app.
I made a GIF but Facebook won’t let me upload it, why?
Often you’ll have trouble uploading GIFs that were created on third-party software. For example, GIPHY is generally accepted well, but others are not. If you’ve created the perfect GIF and it will not upload, it’s likely because of the creation software you used.
When possible, try to use GIPHY instead of some other apps when your intention is to upload the file to Facebook. Of course, sometimes an out-of-date app can lead to issues as well as a glitch. It’s a good idea to wait it out a bit or update your app if you are unable to upload a GIF.