How to Fix a Corrupted Video or MP4 File
Being bombarded by a corrupt file error every time you try to open a video file is no fun. Like any other computer error, there might be a couple of reasons for facing the issue. Downloading the file from an infected source, using corrupted software to record or edit the file, or malware infection, are just a few culprits.
The scenario might cause distress, especially if it’s an important file. But worry not.
This article highlights some quick fixes you can use to uncorrupt your video files, focusing on the ones encrypted using the MP4 video file format. Let’s get started.
How to Fix Corrupted Video Files / MP4 Online
There are many online video repairing tools on the market — free and paid — but getting the one that does the job can be quite a hassle. Fortunately, there are a few choices that are trustworthy and easy to use.
- Upload the corrupted video file.
- Allow some time for the file upload and repair to complete.
- Preview the video to ensure it’s playing correctly.
- Click on the “SAVE ALL” button to download the file.
Be sure to download your file immediately because Wondershare doesn’t provide you with permanent cloud storage.
If your video file is severely damaged and can’t be resolved through the above process, consider using the “Advanced Repair” option. The tool also comes as a desktop app, making it convenient for the times when you have an unstable internet connection.
How to Fix Corrupted Video Files on a Mac
Several video-repairing tools are available for Mac users, but VLC Media Player is free and works great.
Here’s how to repair a video using the VLC Media Player on a Mac:
- Open the VLC Media Player.
- Navigate to “File” and then “Convert / Stream.”
- Drag and drop the corrupted MP4 file into the file box and click the “Open Media” button.
- Select the “Customize” button to convert your file into .avi format.
- Browse and type in the destination file’s name.
- Then click “Save.”
- Open VLC and go back to “Tools” then “Preferences.”
- In the top menu, click on “Input / Codecs.”
- Under the “Damages or incomplete AVI file” menu, select “Always fix.”
- Restart the VLC Media Player before trying to play the corrupted file.
How to Fix Corrupted Video Files MP4 Windows
Many apps allow you to fix corrupted video files on your Windows PC. One such app is the VLC Media Player. VLC is one of the top-rated multimedia players, and it can come in handy when it comes to fixing corrupted video files. There are multiple ways to fix a broken video file using the tool.
Increasing the Cache Value
- Launch VLC Media Player.
- Go to “Tools” then “Preferences.”
- Select “Input / Codecs.”
- In the bottom left corner of the window, press “All.”
- Select “Input/Codecs” from the left sidebar menu and scroll down to the “Advanced” section.
- Under “File caching (ms),” increase the caching value to (preferably) 20000 ms.
- Click “Save” to save the new settings.
Be sure to restart your computer before playing the files again.
With the above settings, your corrupted file should now play correctly. If you’re still experiencing the same problem, be sure to try out the methods discussed below.
Changing the Video Module
If changing the cache value has not worked, you can try changing the video module. Here’s how to go about it:
- Open VLC Media Player.
- Navigate to “Tools” then “Preferences.”
- Select “Video” from the top menu.
- Under the “Output” dropdown menu, select “DirectX (DirectDraw) video output.”
- Click on “Save.”
Remember to restart the media player before trying to play the corrupted file again.
Changing the Files Extension
If the above fixes have not worked, consider changing the corrupted MP4 file into .avi format. Here’s how to go about it:
- Right-click the corrupted file and select “Rename.”
- Replace the “.mp4” file extension with “.avi.”
- Open the VLC Media Player.
- Click “Tools,” and from the menu, select “Preferences.”
- Go to “Input / Codecs”
- Under the “Damaged or incomplete AVI file” dropdown menu, select “Always fix.”
- Click on “Save” and restart the VLC Media Player.
If the above VLC fixes don’t repair the corrupted file, consider using other video repair programs like Wondershare because it’s also available for Windows.
How to Fix Corrupted Video Files MP4 on an iPhone
If you’re facing an issue with a corrupted video file on your iPhone, the Remo repair tool is your go-to application. However, before proceeding with the process, transfer the corrupted file to your computer first. After that, use these steps to fix the file:
- Download and install Remo Repair MOV on your computer.
- Launch the app.
- Click the “Select File” button on the interface to upload the corrupted file transferred from your iPhone.
- Press the “Repair” button.
- Preview and save the video.
You can’t fix a broken MP4 file directly on your iPhone because most video repairing tools supported by iOS work by separating the audio from the video and then rejoining them after the repair.
How to Fix Corrupted Video Files MP4 on an Android Device
If you have a corrupted video file on your Android, you can quickly fix it with the aid of third-party applications. Fortunately, some apps are free for download in the Google Play Store, like the MP4Fix. Here’s how to use MP4Fix to repair a damaged video file:
- On your phone, launch MP4Fix.
- Tap the “SELECT VIDEO” button to choose the corrupted video file.
- Press the “REPAIR” button.
- From the new window, tap on “Save.”
Unfortunately, MP4Fix can’t fix severely damaged videos. Plus, you need to purchase the app to save the files you’ve just repaired.
It’s not logical to pay for an app if good results aren’t guaranteed, right? For that reason, here are some additional ways to uncorrupt an MP4 file on an Android device:
Clearing App Data
If your camera keeps on generating corrupted video files, the culprit might be insufficient storage. Consider freeing the app storage or clearing up the cached files as a remedy. To do so, follow these steps:
- On your phone, launch Settings.
- Scroll down to “App Management” and select the Camera app.
- Tap on “Storage” and the “Clear Cache.”
Changing the Video Format
It’s also possible that you’re trying to play a video file currently not supported by your phone. In that case, your best shot might be to change the video format using a video file converter. Many video file converters are freely available on Google Play, but we highly recommend All File Converter as it is safe and easier to use.
As a last resort, you can transfer the corrupted files to your computer and try to recover them using a video repairing app like VLC Media Player or Wondershare Repairit Video Repair using the abovementioned steps.
How to Fix Corrupted Video Files MP4 Free
There are a lot of excellent video repair tools out there, but not all of them are free for use. Fortunately, not having the budget that fits a video repairing service doesn’t mean that your corrupted files have to stay damaged. Some tools provide the service for free, like Wondershare. However, you might be compelled to upgrade to the paid version to unlock extra features like support for other video formats.
The VLC Media Player is yet another great video repairing tool that’s free. The program is available for both Windows and Mac. In addition, it offers more than just one method of repairing a broken MP4, increasing the chances of recovering your file.
How to Avoid Ending Up With Corrupted MP4 Files
While you can’t wholly avoid corrupted MP4 files, there are some things you can do to lower the chances of getting one. After all, the best way to deal with corrupted files is to avoid them in the first place. Here are some precautions to consider:
- Ensure you download videos from reliable sources, but most importantly, use a professional video downloader like the Internet Download Manager.
- Install a reliable and top-rated antivirus to protect your computer against virus and malware attacks.
- Back up your MP4 files to ensure you always have access to the original and uncorrupted file. You can have these backups across multiple storage media and devices.
- Use safe video programs when performing any operations on your clips. These include recording, editing, compression, and conversion software. An excellent way to know the safety of a program is to read the reviews and scan it using an antivirus.
How do I know if my video file is corrupted?
Some common indicators that a video file has been corrupted include but are not limited to:
• The video is not playing.
• The video is playing without audio.
• The video has a blurry picture.
• The video is lagging while playing.
• Video and audio are not syncing with each other.
• The video file shows a black screen when opened.
• The video flickers when played.
Can you repair a corrupted video file stored on an SD card?
Yes, you can use Wondershare Repairit to correct a file regardless of where it’s stored.
Is Wondershare Repairit free for use?
Wondershare Repairit online allows you to repair corrupted video files for free. However, some features, such as “Advanced Repair,” may require payment.
Get Your Videos Files Playing Again
No matter your device, encountering a faulty video file is typical. While it’s not guaranteed, specific programs can help you repair the damaged file. However, take caution while downloading videos from unknown sources. Malware and viruses, typical causes of damaged video files, infest many internet resources. Lastly, ensure an antivirus application is installed on your computer to alert you if an infected video program is found.
Have you ever fixed a corrupt video file before? Which of the above methods did you use? Please let us know in the comments section below.