How to Get a Cape in Minecraft
Capes are commonly used as a symbol of superiority in comics, movies, and multiplication. This piece of apparel is admired by superheroes and magicians alike (though supervillains, Dracula, and other unpleasant creatures may wear it, too). Minecraft allows players to wear various capes.
Whether your goal is to cosplay Zorro or obtain a rare item, we’re here to explain how to do it.
Minecraft players can obtain capes both for money and for free. In this section, we’ll share three different methods of acquiring one.
How to Get a Cape in Minecraft Java
Migrate Your Account to Get a Cape
Recently, Minecraft developers issued a notice for Java Edition players. All Mojang accounts have to be migrated to Microsoft accounts. This requirement is related to safety reasons and is mandatory, though the exact date of the migration period end is yet unknown. If a player fails to move the account, they won’t be able to play the Java Edition anymore.
Thankfully, this process doesn’t change anything about the game. Furthermore, every player gets a free cape for their efforts. Here’s how to move your Mojang account to Microsoft:
- Run Minecraft Launcher or log in to Minecraft.net with your Mojang account.
- You should see an invitation to migrate; click on it.
- Create a new Microsoft account or sign in with an existing one.
- Create an Xbox.com account. You don’t need to own an Xbox to do this.
- Confirm the migration of your Mojang account.
- Now, when you log in to minecraft.net and go to the skin changing page, you should see a new cape in your skin options.
Use Mods to Get a Cape
Although players can get a free cape in Minecraft Java Edition, there isn’t much else you can do to get your own cape in the game. However, you can get various capes using mods, but other players will only see them if they have the same mod. If you want to obtain a cape for personal reasons rather than to show off, though, it’s worth a shot. Here are some of the best mods allowing you to wear a cape in Minecraft Java:
- Advanced Cape Mod. Minecraft Forge is required for installation. To set a cape, press the C key and enter the URL of your desired cape. Any URL will work as long as it ends with “.png.” You can also add custom capes.
- Optifine Mod. The main objective of this mod is game optimization and FPS boost. Players can also add a cape to their skin. Other players won’t see it, but this option is great for streaming.
Buy a Cape on Minecraft Marketplace
One other method of getting a cape is through the Minecraft Marketplace. This site lets you spend minecoins to buy maps, skins, mods, and lots of other cool stuff for Minecraft Bedrock. Some of the skins even come with capes. Unfortunately, you have to spend a little bit of money to get them.
How to Upload a Skin to Minecraft
Maybe you aren’t trying to put a cape on your character, but you want to change your Minecraft skin. Fortunately, it’s a pretty simple process.
- Visit Minecraft Marketplace or any other site you prefer and browse for the skin you like. Download it to your device.
- Log in to Minecraft.net, and click Change Skin underneath Minecraft: Java Edition.
- Scroll down and click Select File in the Upload Custom Skin section.
- Select your .png skin file and then click the Upload button.
- The website will refresh, and your character will appear dressed in the new skin. When you launch the game, the character will look like the new skin you uploaded.
Java vs. Bedrock Editions
Minecraft Java and Bedrock Editions differ significantly. When it comes to capes, each one has its pros and cons. While more caped skins are available online for the Bedrock Edition, Java allows more cape customization options. More mods are available for Java, and they are generally easier to install. Plus, as mentioned in previous sections, Java Edition players can now receive a free cape for migrating their Mojang account to Microsoft account. Overall though, capes are pretty regulated in Minecraft. In Java edition, you can get capes from migrating your account or attending special events like MineCon. Bedrock edition has a little more freedom; though, you’re still required to go through Microsoft’s Minecraft Marketplace.
Can I craft a cape in Minecraft?
No. You cannot craft a cape in the game. However, if you are interested in creating your own capes, numerous sites online allow players to create a custom cape and download it for free. One of these sites is Minecraftcapes.net. With the cape editor tool, you can make a cape with any design in a couple of minutes. Follow the instructions below:
1. Click the large red rectangle to choose a color.
2. Left-click anywhere on the cape template to color that area. You can also hold the left click while moving your mouse to color the required area more quickly.
3. Right-click to erase the required area.
4. Mix colors and draw patterns as you wish. Once done, click Download.
5. Upload your custom cape to Minecraft.net to apply the skin.
Some mods, such as Optifine for Minecraft Java Edition, also have a cape editor.
Is there a method I can use to get a free cape?
While you can purchase a pre-made caped skin, all methods of obtaining a cape in Minecraft described in previous sections are free. Java Edition players can get a free cape for migrating their Mojang account. Both Java and Bedrock Edition players can create custom cape designs and upload them to Minecraft.net, cost-free. Most mods also don’t require players to pay anything to use them. In other words, a cape in Minecraft isn’t some kind of lavish piece available only for nobles.
Dress to Impress
As you can see, obtaining a cape in Minecraft is fairly simple. The best thing is, just like with building, you can use your imagination to its full extent when creating your outfit. Get a free cape for migrating your Mojang account, or make a one-of-a-kind design on your own and shine on. Hopefully, the upcoming game updates will improve the cape graphics in Bedrock Edition for an even better user experience.
What’s your favorite Minecraft skin marketplace? Share your experiences in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.