How to Use Google Photos to Fix Closed Eyes
You can find all kinds of rumors about Google Photos on the internet. One of them is that the platform has a feature that allows you to fix closed eyes on photos. Sadly, there’s no such feature on Google Photos because it is cloud storage for photos and not a photo-editing tool.
If you want to fix closed eyes on photos, you have to use another third-party app or photo-editing software such as Photoshop. Stay with us, and we will tell you which apps to use to fix closed eyes on your favorite photos.
Perfect Photos with Closed Eyes
There’s nothing worse than taking a photo with your friends only to realize that one of you closed their eyes. Luckily, some apps and advanced photo editing suites can help you combine two photos to fix closed eyes in minutes.
No matter what you’ve heard, Google Photos can’t help you do that. Here are the best tools for fixing closed eyes and other imperfections in your photos.
Photoshop is the go-to app for photo editing tasks. It’s been around for decades and has seen many improvements, updates, and new tools over the years. We can’t go through all of them, as there are so many, but we’ll walk you through the process of removing closed eyes. Photoshop will help you improve your photos better than any other software, but the process does require a bit of effort to master.
Fixing Closed Eyes
When you can’t make another photo with everyone’s eyes opened, Photoshop can help you fix existing ones with a few simple clicks. The following tutorial is based on the assumption that you already have Photoshop installed on your device. Here is what you have to do:
- Open Photoshop and load the photo you want to fix. Also, load another photo of the person with closed eyes, but with their eyes opened. Look for a photo with a similar angle to get the best results.
- Select File from the menu and then click Open. Find the photo you want to fix in your folders. Load the second photo the same way.
- With both photos opened, select the Pen tool and draw a circle around one eye in the “opened eyes” photo. Make it a little wider than the eye itself, so it includes a bit of skin below and above the eye. Right-click on the area you selected with the pen and choose Make Selection.
- Click Edit in the menu and select Copy Merged.
- Navigate back to the image with closed eyes and select Edit, then choose Paste. Move the eye that was cut out from the second image over a closed eye in the image you want to fix. Use the Scale tool to change the size of the eye, so it fits the photo.
- Finally, use the Smudge tool for the final touches. Select the Brush tool and choose the smallest faded tip. Blend the edges of the pasted eye with the surrounding skin on the photo you want to edit.
- Repeat the process for the other eye.
Facebook AI for Closed Eyes
Apparently, Facebook is developing an AI that will take care of the closed eyes problem automatically. In its current state, the AI uses other people’s photos to fix the ones you would like. The AI still makes some Frankenstein-type photos and will need some additional improvements before it’s released. The researchers are looking for a way to incorporate the facial recognition technology that Facebook is already using.
The new AI is at an advanced development stage, but the exact date of the update is still unknown. However, it’s almost certain that we will see the newly developed AI on our devices in the near future.
Change Any Photo with a Little Skill
Photoshop is still the best tool for editing photos. It can help you get rid of closed eyes, but it does require some know-how. Our quick tutorial should be enough to point you in the right direction, but you will need to spend some time practicing to master Photoshop. If you put some effort into it, you can make your photos perfect every time.
How do you fix closed eyes on your photos? Do you rely on Photoshop or do you use any other app? Share your experiences in the comment section below.