How to Delete Chats in GroupMe
Exploring your options when it comes to messaging apps may have led you to GroupMe. It’s a free, easy-to-use app that works on a variety of devices. It’s a convenient way to stay in touch with your family and friends.
But there have been some concerns with the app since it was launched in 2010. For instance, if there are messages or chats you’d like to get rid of, is there an easy way to do that?
For the answer to that question, read our short guide on how to delete chats on GroupMe.
How to Delete Group Chats in GroupMe
Sadly, there is no way to delete a whole chat on GroupMe. Even though many users have been asking for this option, there haven’t been any changes to address this issue since the launch. However, you do have a couple of other options that may be useful.
How to Clear Chat History in GroupMe
Do you have chats that are no longer active? Clearing your chat history may be one way to get rid of the undesired conversations. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Open the GroupMe app on your device.
- Locate the chat history you want to delete and tap or click to open it.
- Select the chat picture and choose “Settings” from the menu.
- In the “Settings” menu, tap or click on “Clear Chat History.”
- A confirmation window will pop up. Click “Clear” to confirm your choice, and your chat history will be erased.
Note: The “Settings” button may be located in a different area than mentioned above, depending on the device you’re using.
How to Hide a Chat in GroupMe
Hiding a chat is done differently depending on the devices. Locate the device you own below and follow the corresponding instructions.
- Find the chat you’d like to hide.
- Select the chat avatar.
- Choose “Settings,” and from that menu, select “Hide Chat.” Now you’ll no longer see the chat on your computer.
Did you change your mind? To unhide a chat, do the following:
- Open GroupMe and go to the “Open Navigation” menu.
- Select “Archive,” and you’ll see the list of hidden chats.
- Select the chat you want to unhide.
- Select the chat image.
- Click the “Settings” icon and choose the “Unhide Chat” option.
- Launch the GroupMe app on your phone or tablet.
- Find the chat you’d like to hide.
- Tap and hold.
- You’ll see the “Hide Chat” icon at the top.
- Tap it, and your chat will now be archived.
In case you want to unhide it, follow the steps below:
- Open the GroupMe app and select the “Open Navigation” menu.
- Open the “Archive” by tapping the box-like icon.
- You’ll see your hidden chats here, so choose the one you want to unhide.
- Select the chat and tap the chat avatar.
- Select “Settings” and choose “Unhide Chat” from the list.
iPhones & iPads
- Launch GroupMe and find the chat you want to hide.
- Swipe left on that chat and select the “Hide” icon.
- You’ll no longer see this chat on the chat list.
To unhide a chat, follow these steps:
- Select the “Open Navigation” menu.
- Choose “Archive.”
- Find the chat you want to unhide in the “Hidden Chats” tab.
- Tap on “Unhide” next to it.
Note: Depending on the iOS version you’re running, you may not see the “Open Navigation” menu. In that case, select “Chat” at the top.
How to Delete Messages in GroupMe
Messages can’t be deleted from GroupMe chats. You can only hide them on your device. If you want to do that, follow the steps below.
- When you open the desired chat, find the message you’d like to hide.
- On a computer, right-click the message. On a mobile device, tap, and hold.
- Choose “Hide/Hide Message” from the menu.
If you want to show hidden messages again, follow these steps.
- Open a chat and tap or click the chat avatar.
- Click or tap on “Settings.”
- Choose the “Unhide Hidden Messages” option.
Be aware that you can also unhide messages if you log out and log back into your account.
How to Delete Hidden Chats in GroupMe
You can’t delete chats in GroupMe, whether they’re hidden or not. You can only end a chat if you’re the owner. Check the following section for instructions.
How to Permanently Delete Chats in GroupMe
As mentioned, you can’t delete a chat in GroupMe.
However, you can choose to end your group. That will not only erase all the messages but also erase the whole group. If you decide it’s what you want, follow the instructions below.
- Launch GroupMe on your device.
- Select the group chat that you’d like to leave.
- Click on the chat image.
- Choose “Settings.”
- At the bottom, you’ll find the “End Group” and “Leave Group” options. Choose one of the options and confirm.
If you merely leave a group, you can come back. But once the group is ended, you can’t undo this action.
Still don’t have your answer? Check out the FAQs section below if you want to know more about GroupMe.
Does Clearing Chat History on GroupMe Clear It for Everyone?
It doesn’t. If you clear chat history on GroupMe, you’ll only delete it on your device. Other members of the conversation will still be able to view the messages within the chat.
On What Devices Can I Access GroupMe?
GroupMe is available for Windows computers, Android smartphones, and tablets, as well as for iOS devices – iPhones and iPads. You can also access your chat via web browsers, but not all the options will be available this way. For instance, you can’t hide GroupMe chats if you opened the app on the web.
Can I Delete Chat History for Both Group and Individual Chats?
Yes. Whether it’s a two-person conversation or a group chat, you can clear chat history on your device.
The Chats Are Here to Stay
There is little you can do about your messages in GroupMe if you’re not the group owner. You can hide them or delete your chat history, but only on your own device. But other people can still see your messages. However, if you’re a group owner, you have the option to end a group to delete your messages.
Have you already tried GroupMe? Do you have any hidden chats? Share your experience in the comments section below.