Can GroupMe Be Used Without a Phone Number?
Have you tried to create a GroupMe account but gave up because you had to provide your phone number? Is it even possible to use the app without doing so?
In this day and age, security on the web is of paramount importance, and people don’t like giving out their personal information unless it’s strictly necessary. In this article, we’ll find out if GroupMe can be used without a phone number.
Can I Use GroupMe Without a Phone Number?
In short, the answer to this question is no. To start using GroupMe, you have to provide a phone number. But before you do, you must download the app first. It’s free and available on the Google Play Store, Apple Store, or the Windows Phone Store.
The next step is to create an account. This process is fairly straightforward. You need to provide your email address and a strong password. Alternatively, you can link GroupMe with your Facebook or Twitter account.
At some point during the registration, you’ll be asked to insert your phone number. The reason why GroupMe needs this is to send you a verification code or PIN. After you receive it, you’ll have to insert the code in the app. This way, you confirm that you do own that phone number.
When you complete this step, you won’t be asked to provide your number ever again.
What If I Didn’t Receive the Code?
When you add your phone number, it might take several minutes for the code to arrive. In some cases, however, you may not receive the code at all. This may happen because GroupMe is unable to send the code to your phone carrier.
If GroupMe failed to send the code within five minutes, don’t panic. To finish the verification process, you can try out the following:
- Don’t refresh your browser or close your app. Keep GroupMe active. Don’t restart the registration process either, as it will generate a new code. This, in turn, can make things more difficult.
- Send an email to the GroupMe support team and explain the problem. Do note that the team is always there to help you resolve any issues you may experience.
- When the team responds, enter the code in the app to finish the process.
Using the App
After you’ve set up your account, the time has come to start chatting with people. As with other instant messengers, you can send direct messages to other users, and share images, memes, or videos with them. But the true power of GroupMe is illustrated in group chats.
To experience the fun of sharing, you need to make a group first. This process is far from difficult. Just follow these steps:
- Open the app and choose the bubble icon.
- Tap Start group
- Choose the name and the avatar.
- Find the members you want in your group by typing their name, phone number, or email. You can also browse your GroupMe Contacts.
- Tap Done or the checkmark icon.
Controlling the Group
When you create a group, you automatically become its admin. This means that you have total control over the group. You can add or remove members and change the group name and/or avatar. If you ever get overwhelmed with things, you can delete the group or transfer ownership.
How to Add or Remove Members
As the group admin, you might want to refresh your group with new members. Do the following to add new people:
- Open the chat and click on the group avatar.
- Select Members.
- Tap the + icon or select Add Members.
- Insert the name, number, or an email of a person you want to add.
- Select the person’s name and click on the Checkmark icon.
Optionally, you can send people a share link. It will allow them to join the group.
In case you ever get annoyed by a group member, you have the option to remove them by following these steps:
- Choose the group avatar and tap Members.
- Tap on the person you want to remove.
- Select Remove from (group name). If you need to remove more than one member, click on the three dots icon and tap Remove members.
- Select the people you want to delete and tap Remove.
Removed members will only be able to re-join the group if current members invite them.
Unfortunately, you can’t use GroupMe without a phone number. But that shouldn’t be dealbreaker, by any means. Once you start using the app, you’ll discover all the awesome features it has to offer. Changing names and avatars, adding or removing members are just a tiny part of the amazing GroupMe features. The deeper you delve, the more delighted you’ll be.
What are your first impressions of the app? How many groups have you created? Have you renamed them or changed their avatars already? Do tell us in the comments section below!