How To Hide Your Phone Number When Making a Call
Smartphones connect us to our friends and families, but sometimes you don’t want the recipient to know your number or see your display photo.
If you’re looking for a way to disable your caller ID and make anonymous phone calls, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll walk you through the process and outline how to make private calls on an iPhone, Samsung smartphone, and Android device. Keep reading to learn more.
Most smartphones have the caller ID feature, which screens incoming calls and prevents telemarketers from wasting your time. However, the feature has made making anonymous calls nearly impossible.
The good news is that many modern smartphones support vertical service codes. For example, the *67 code allows you to contact people without revealing your phone number. If you can’t access your business phone, you may not want to share your personal number with customers.
Fortunately, most users have no difficulty hiding their number with the *67 service code. Follow the steps below to use it on your mobile device:
- Launch the Phone app from the home screen.
- Type the block code and enter the number you wish to call. Make sure you’ve entered a ten-digit number that starts with the appropriate area code.
- Click on the green call button at the bottom of the screen to make an anonymous call.
The recipient’s phone will display your call as “No Caller ID,” “Blocked,” or “Private.”
Note that this method works for individual calls, so you’ll have to repeat it each time when dialing a number.
Using vertical codes doesn’t involve additional charges and is available on Samsung phones, iPhones, and Android devices.
How to Hide Your Phone Number When Making a Call with a Samsung Phone
Samsung users can turn off caller identification and keep their number private when they don’t want to share it with call recipients. Once you disable the feature, your device will hide your number and display picture during outbound calls. Instead, your call will be labeled as “Private.”
If you have a Samsung phone running Android OS Pie, follow the instructions below:
- Head to the Phone app.
- Click on the three vertical dots and select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose “Supplementary services” from the list of options and press “Show Caller ID.”
- Tap “Hide Number.”
The person you contact won’t receive your caller ID details.
Follow the steps below if you have a Samsung Galaxy running Android OS 10.0:
- Launch the Phone app from the home screen.
- Press the three vertical dots.
- Click on “Settings” and press the “Supplementary services” option.
- Tap “Show Caller ID” and hit “Hide Number.”
Your device won’t send out your caller ID information when you make calls through the app.
Here’s how users with a Samsung Galaxy running Android OS 11.0 can make their number private:
- Go to the Phone app.
- Tap the three vertical dots and press “Settings.”
- Click on the “Supplementary services” option and tap “Show Caller ID.”
- Choose “Never” from the “Network Default” menu.
Whenever you call someone from the app, they won’t see your number and display picture.
How to Hide Your Phone Number When Making a Call with an iPhone
If you have an iPhone, you can hide your number by adjusting your smartphone’s settings. Here’s what you need to do:
- Tap the gear-shaped icon from the home screen to launch the “Settings” app.
- Scroll to the middle of the screen and click on “Phone.”
- Tap the “Show My Caller ID” option to disable it.
Another way of disabling your caller ID involves reaching out to your wireless carrier.
- Dial 661.
- Listen to the automatic recording and follow the instructions to contact the customer or technical support.
- Ask them to block your number for outgoing calls.
Burner apps are also an excellent method to make your number private. These programs use your phone’s internet, so call recipients won’t be able to find out your number.
Although there are many apps to choose from, Burner is one of the most popular options for iOS devices. It’s easy to use and provides you with a second number, hiding the number from your phone carrier. Burner offers users a seven-day free trial, and after that, its services are $5 per line.
Hushed is a relatively affordable app that blocks your caller ID information. There’s a free three-day trial period, but the app’s services are $2 per week. When you want to hide your number when making outbound calls or texting, Hushed will provide you with a new number. You’ll get a phone number tied to a different area code, meaning that your personal information stays protected.
How to Hide Your Phone Number When Making a Call on an Android
Android users have several ways of making their outbound calls anonymous. They can use the Android Phone app, Google Voice, or contact their phone carrier.
Here’s how you can hide your number from call recipients with the Android Phone app:
- Open the Phone app from the home screen. On most Android devices, the icon resembles a phone receiver.
- Click on the three vertical dots in the top right part of the app.
- Select the “Settings” option from the drop-down menu.
- Choose “More Settings” from the list of options to open “Call Settings.”
- Scroll to the bottom of the “Call Settings” menu to view additional call features.
- Select the “Caller ID” option from the top of the menu.
- Click on “Hide Number.”
Whenever you place a call through the Phone app, your number won’t appear on the recipient’s phone.
If you change your mind and want others to know you’re calling them, here’s how you can unblock your number:
- Click on the icon which looks like a phone receiver to open the Phone app.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top-right of the screen.
- Tap “Settings” in the drop-down menu.
- Select the “More Settings” option to go to “Call Settings.”
- Go to the bottom of the “More Settings” menu.
- Tap “Caller ID” at the top of the interface.
- Press “Show Number” or “Network Default.”
The Android Phone app should now reveal your number to call recipients.
Google Voice is a program that lets you call others using a unique number provided by Google. This number is directly tied to your Google account, so you can tweak the app’s settings and make anonymous calls. Here’s what you need to do:
- Set up your Google Voice account if you haven’t already.
- Launch the app from the home screen.
- Click on the three horizontal lines in the top right part of the interface.
- Go to the bottom of the menu and select the “Settings” option.
- Find the “Anonymous Caller ID” feature and tap the toggle switch beside it to enable it.
When the toggle switch turns green, you can make outbound calls through the app without revealing your phone number to the recipients.
Your mobile carrier can also help you hide your caller ID. Here’s how you can contact their customer service team:
- Tap the small icon that resembles a phone receiver to launch the Phone app.
- Click on the blue icon at the bottom of the screen to bring up the keypad.
- Type “611” into the dial field and press the green call button.
- You’ll probably hear an automatic recording. Follow the instructions until you reach the technical or customer support team.
- Ask them to disable your caller ID.
Most service providers will quickly block your number from appearing on recipients’ phones.
Although caller ID has made it easy to identify telemarketers and avoid awkward conversations, many people struggle to bypass this feature and make private calls. Fortunately, there are several ways you can hide your number on an iPhone, Samsung phone, or Android device.
Have you ever hidden your number before? Did you use any of the above methods to get past caller ID? Let us know in the comments section below.