How to Add Friends in WeChat
The main reason for having a social network is keeping in touch with other people. However, adding people as friends on WeChat isn’t always as easy as expected. This Chinese social networking app functions quite differently than its competitors, making up for the difference with some exciting and complex capabilities.
For example, WeChat lets you add friends in various ways and meet other people from all around the world. Stay with us as we explore how you can befriend other people on WeChat.
Add a Friend Using their ID or Phone Number
Each WeChat account has an ID. If you know the ID of the person you wish to add to your list, you can send them a friend request right away.
- Open WeChat and go to the “Contacts” tab. It’s the second tab of the four in the menu located at the bottom of the screen.
- In the “Contacts” tab, tap on the “+” button in the top-right corner. A dropdown menu will appear.
- Choose “Add Contacts.”
- To add a friend using the ID or number, tap on the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Type the friend’s WeChat ID or phone number. Once done, tap on the “Search” button.
- If you’ve entered the number correctly, the app will take you to the contact’s profile details page.
- Tapping on “Add” sends the person a friend request.
Note: Friend requests last for ten days. If the person doesn’t respond to it in time, it will expire. You can’t send them another friend request which will also be valid for ten days.
Add a Friend by Scanning Their QR Code
You can also add a contact to your friends list if they share their QR code with you.
- Enter the “Contacts” tab.
- Tap on the “+” in the top-right corner.
- Select “Scan QR Code” from the dropdown menu.
- The app will take you straight to the QR Code window, where you can scan the other person’s code.
Let Friends Add You by Sharing Your QR Code
Opposite to scanning the QR code, you can show others your own so they can add you as a friend.
- Open WeChat and tap on the button with the three dots in the top-right corner.
- Tap on your profile in the dropdown menu to open it.
- Select “My QR Code.” This action will show your code on your phone’s screen. Show it to the other person so they can scan it and add you as a friend.
Add People Nearby
If you’re feeling chatty, you can use an interesting WeChat function that lets you add people in your vicinity. However, keep in mind that this goes both ways, as others can add you as well. Also, they will be able to see the last ten photos you’ve shared.
To use this feature, open WeChat and go to the “Discover” tab located at the top of the screen. After this, go to “People Nearby,” where you can greet others. You can add each other as friends this way.
Add a Friend using the Shake Feature
Shake is a WeChat-exclusive feature that can connect you with a random person who’s also using this feature. To activate Shake, go to the “Discover” tab and tap on the Shake button. After this, all you need to do is shake the phone, which will, in turn, connect you with another person that’s also shaking their phone. You can choose if you want to greet the person.
Add a Friend using the Drift Bottle Feature
This feature lets you leave a text or voice message which another person should pick up. The other person then decides if they want to strike up a conversation with you. Likewise, you can also make the same decision with other users’ bottles.
Drift Bottle, also known as Message in a Bottle, is located in the “Discover” tab.
How to Delete a WeChat Friend
- Run WeChat and open the “Contacts” tab.
- Tap the person on the list that you want to remove from your friends to open their profile.
- Tap the three dots in the top-right corner and choose “Delete.” After completing this step, it cannot be undone, but you can add the person again whenever you want through any of the methods described above.
In the end, one of the most exciting things about WeChat is how many functions it has for adding friends. Whenever you feel like making new friends, WeChat has you covered, even if you don’t know them.