How to Block Websites in Chrome
Are you guilty of browsing the web when you’re supposed to be working? If so, you might want to block specific websites that often prove distracting. Fortunately, that’s a relatively straightforward process.
Read on to find out how to do it quickly and efficiently. As a bonus, we’ll show you how the steps differ across various platforms.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome using an Extension
If you use Chrome to browse the internet, there may come a time when you want to block particular websites. Perhaps you’re drawn to the internet when you should be finishing a task. Or perhaps your child uses the same computer, and you want to ensure that they don’t view unsuitable material.
In that case, follow the steps below to block websites in Google Chrome:
- Open Chrome.
- Type “block site extension” in the search bar.
- Click on the blue Add to Chrome button to download the BlockSite extension.
- Confirm by tapping Add extension.
- Wait for a while until it downloads and then locate the extension in the upper-right corner of the screen. It looks like an orange shield with a circle and a line across it.
- Head over to the website you wish to block.
- Tap on the BlockSite extension.
- Click on Block this site.
You’ve successfully blocked the website. If you want to unblock it, do the following:
- Visit the site you want to unblock and click on BlockSite.
- Choose Edit block list.
- Locate the website from the list and tap on the minus sign next to it to unblock it.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome Without an Extension
Blocking websites is easier if you use the extension. However, it’s possible to do so without it, only it’s a bit more complex. Here’s what you’ll do if you use Windows:
- Go to C drive on your computer.
- Click on Windows.
- Tap on System32.
- Scroll to and tap on drivers.
- Find etc.
- Open the hosts file with Notepad.
- Type the URL of the website you wish to block in front of the domain and press Ctrl + S to save the work.
If you’re a Mac user, do the following:
- Open the terminal.
- Type in “sudo nano /etc/hosts” and press Enter.
- Place the cursor to the last line of the file and write websites you wish to block. For example, it should look like this: 127.0.0.1 website URL.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome on Android
If you usually browse the internet via Chrome on your Android phone, there might be websites that you’d want to block to maximize productivity. If that’s the case, here’s how you’ll do it:
- Open Play Store on your phone.
- Search for the “BlockSite” app.
- Click on Install to download and install it and then launch the app on your phone.
- Click on Go to settings to enable the app.
- When the app is enabled, go back.
- Open the BlockSite app and click on the green + icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Doing so will open the new screen with tabs Website and App.
- Make sure that Website is selected.
- Write the URL of the website you want to block and tap on the green checkmark in the upper-right corner of the screen.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome on iPhone and iPad
If you’re an iOS user and want to block a specific website in Google Chrome, there are two ways to do it:
Zero Willpower is an app available for iPhone and iPad devices. It costs $1.99 per month and enables users to block websites. It also lets you choose the period for which you want to block a specific website.
Via the Device
Another way to block websites is via the device you use:
- Grab the device and navigate to Settings.
- Go to Screen Time.
- Tap on it and then click on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Toggle the button next to Content & Privacy Restrictions to enable the option.
- Then, click on Content Restrictions.
- Scroll to Web Content and tap on Web Content.
- Here you’ll see various options. If you tap on Limit Adult Websites, the phone will block X-rated websites. If you select Allowed Websites Only, you can choose the list of websites that won’t be blocked and customize them to suit your needs.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome on Windows
If you have a Windows computer and use Chrome as your browser, blocking websites won’t be difficult:
- Open Chrome.
- Download the BlockSite extension by clicking on Add to Chrome.
- Go to the website you want to block.
- Click on the extension in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Hit Block this site.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome on MacOS
If you use Mac and want to block websites in Chrome, there are two ways to do it. The first is to install the BlockSite extension:
- Open Chrome and download the BlockSite extension here and click on Add to Chrome.
- Head over to the website to block.
- Tap on the extension in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Press Block this site.
Another option is possible through the computer. It’s suitable when you want to prevent children from accessing specific websites:
- Tap on the apple icon in the upper-left corner of the menu.
- Choose System Preferences.
- Go to Parental Control, click on the child’s account on the left side of the menu, and then tap Enable Parental Controls.
- Select Content.
- Under Web Content, choose Allowed Websites Only.
- Add the sites to which the child can have access.
How to Block Websites in Google Chrome on Chromebook
If you use Chromebook and want to block websites in Chrome, here’s what you’ll do:
- Launch Chrome.
- Look for the BlockSite extension here.
- Click on “Add to Chrome” to install the extension.
- Go to the website you wish to block.
- Tap on the extension in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select “Block this site.”
Are you interested in finding out anything else regarding blocking websites? If so, check out the next section.
1. How Do I Permanently Block a Website on Chrome?
An easy solution to permanently block any website on Chrome is to use the extension BlockSite. With this extension, the website stays blocked until you decide to reverse the process. Follow the directions shown above to permanently block websites using BlockSite.
2. What Extensions Can Block Websites in Chrome?
The most popular and reliable extension for blocking websites in Chrome is BlockSite. It’s free and helps you stay more focused by keeping you away from specific sites. Another option you could try out is the StayFocused extension.
3. How Do I Block Websites on Google Chrome Easily?
If you want to block websites on Chrome, the easiest way is to use the extension called BlockSite. It’s the most popular choice for blocking websites. Plus, navigating it is pretty straightforward. Alternatively, you could try StayFocused.
4. How Do I Block Multiple Websites on Google Chrome?
If you want to block multiple websites on Chrome, you can use the extension BlockSite. Once you do so, you’ll have a list of them. Whenever you want to unblock a specific site, you’ll need to click on the minus icon next to do this.
When you work on your computer, it’s so easy to go down the rabbit hole of scrolling and browsing. While you may think you’ve spent a couple of minutes on Reddit or YouTube, the reality is usually the opposite. That’s why you can utilize the extensions to help you be more focused and prevent you from visiting such websites.
Have you tried BlockSite yet? Did it help you feel less distracted? Share your experiences in the comments section below.