How to Cancel Audible
Thanks to Audible and similar platforms, you do not have to dedicate special time to read a book anymore. With audiobooks at your disposal, you can listen to any book, anytime, anywhere. This is especially useful while commuting or when stuck in a traffic jam.
That is where Amazon’s Audible comes in, granting you access to their library of over 200,000 titles. With a paid membership, you can choose one book every month, regardless of its price. However, you may find that you are not using all the benefits paid membership gives you. If that is the case, you might consider canceling it.
How to Cancel Audible from an iPhone or Android Device
If you want to cancel the Audible membership directly from your smartphone, unfortunately, that is impossible. By simply deleting the Audible app from your phone, you will not change anything in regards to your subscription. Additionally, both the Android and iOS apps do not provide access to the cancellation feature.
In order to cancel your Audible subscription, you’ll have to visit their website from a desktop or laptop computer. Of course, if you want to do it from your phone, you can choose the desktop version of Audible’s website in your browser. In that case, you’ll be able to complete the cancellation process, although not as conveniently as from a computer.
How to Cancel Audible from Windows 10 or Mac PC
Even if it is possible to cancel your Audible subscription from your smartphone, the process is much more convenient when done from a desktop or laptop computer.
- Go to the Audible website and click Sign In in the top right corner of the page.
2. Login to your Audible account using your username and password.
3. Now, click your name in the right portion of the top menu and then click Account Details.
4. Next, click the Membership details option from the menu to the left.
5. Then, in the Your membership section you will see the Cancel membership button, click it.
6. Now, click the Continue canceling button.
7. Select the reason why you would like to cancel and then click Continue.
8. Audible might use the next screen to try and keep you as a paid member. You might see a good deal like a 50% discount for the monthly subscription for the next three months, or similar. If that sounds good to you, then you can click Switch Membership. If you are still certain you want to cancel it, click Cancel Membership.
9. Once that is done, the Your account page will automatically load. Notice the notification in the upper portion of the screen. If everything went smoothly, it should read We’re sorry to see you go. Your membership has been canceled.
With that done, you are finally free of Audible’s monthly fee.
How to Cancel Audible Over the Phone with Amazon Support
The best way to cancel your Audible membership over the phone is to call the Customer Support service. Before you call them, make sure you have your Audible login credentials at hand.
Next, dial 1 (888) 283-5051 to get a customer support representative on the phone. Tell them you want to cancel your Audible membership and they’ll guide you through the rest of the process. Once complete, you should receive a confirmation e-mail from Audible. Since this serves as proof that you’ve successfully canceled your membership, please make sure you don’t delete that e-mail.
If you live outside the U.S., you can call 1 (206) 577-1377. Please note that there will be some charges that apply for making an international call. If you want to talk with Audible’s Customer Support in Spanish, you can call the toll-free number 1 (888) 283- 0332 if you live in the United States or Canada. To make an international call, dial 1 (206) 922-0156 but, as we said, expect some charges to apply.
Besides this, there is also an option to have the Audible Customer Support team to call you back. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go to the “Talk with Customer Service” page using a browser on your computer. The link is https://www.audible.com/contactus/clicktocall.
- When the page opens, first select your country from the drop-down menu. Please note that the call-back option works only if you live in the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, or U.S. Virgin Islands. If you live outside any of these countries, use the phone number mentioned above to call the customer support directly.
- In the next set of fields, enter your phone number.
- Next, click either Call me now or Call Me in 5 Minutes and wait for them to call you.
Can I listen for the rest of my subscription period after I cancel?
After you cancel your Audible membership, you’ll still be able to access any audiobooks you’ve purchased previously. And there’s no limit. They’re yours indefinitely.
If you have an Audible Escape membership, then the situation is a little different. In this case, once you cancel the membership, you’ll be able to listen to your Escape titles until the current billing period expires. Once it does, the system will remove any titles you’ve obtained through Audible Escape from your profile.
Can I simply pause my membership for a period of time?
Yes, you can. Putting your membership on hold is easy on Audible. This will allow you to keep your credits and use them to make purchases even while your membership is on hold. You’re able to put your account on hold once every twelve months. The maximum time for having your account on hold is three months.
Please note that there are three cases when you are not able to pause your membership:
- You have an annual membership.
- Your membership plan doesn’t have the ability to earn credits.
- You’ve applied for the Audible membership before 2006.
To pause your Audible membership, you all have to contact Audible customer service directly over their contact page.
- Go to www.audible.com/contactus.
- Click Membership.
- From the Please make a selection drop-down menu, choose Switch, Pause, or Cancel Membership.
- Next, choose the contact option. You can click either Chat, Phone, or Email. It is important to note that Audible recommends using the Phone option so they can process your request faster.
Once you successfully put your Audible account on hold, you will not have to pay the monthly fee during that period. Of course, you will still be able to use any credits you might have left. There is one downside to pausing your membership though, and it’s related to free Audible Originals. During this period, you will not be able to add any of that free content to your library.
Do I lose my credits if I cancel Audible?
Unfortunately, yes, you do. Since credits directly link to your membership ID, once you cancel it, the credits will immediately expire. So, before you cancel your Audible account, it would be good to use up all the remaining credits you might have. If you’ve accumulated a lot of Audible credits, you might consider putting your account on hold until you use them up. Of course, this won’t affect the expiry date of your credits.
One thing to remember is that any books you’ve purchased through Audible will remain in your possession. You don’t have to be an Audible member to be able to access them.
Audible No More
Hopefully, you’ve managed to cancel your Audible subscription. Now you do not have to worry about those recurring fees you have been paying each month. Next time you decide you want to listen to an audiobook, it is best to apply for the new subscription when you actually plan to listen to it. When you do, it is a simple matter of canceling your subscription once again.
Have you managed to cancel Audible? What was the reasoning behind your decision? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.