How to Enable Bubble Chat in Roblox
Developing your own game in Roblox is an amazing experience. You’ve certainly put a lot of effort and time into designing all the details, just to get potentially stuck with the Bubble Chat option. The good news is you don’t have to worry about that anymore.
This article will provide you with detailed steps on how to enable Bubble Chat in Roblox. You’ll also learn how to customize your chat, change its settings, and much more.
There are two main ways to enable the bubble chat function in your game: the older and updated method. Today we’ll show you both.
How to Enable a New Bubble Chat in Roblox (2021)
Roblox hasn’t been very active in the past few years when it came to updating their in-game default bubble chat settings. Many players who lack coding experience have been struggling to enable the bubble chat for their games.
However, in October 2020, Roblox developers finally returned the initial, much simpler way to enabling the feature. If you’re relatively new to game development and have no previous coding experience, you’re going to love this option. Just follow the steps below.
Important Tip: You need to enable API for these steps to work. Enable API by going to your Home tab à Game Settings > Options > Turn on “Enable Studio Access to API Services” > Click “Save.”
Enable this feature only when testing/editing the game.
- Open your Roblox Studio.
- Open the game you want to add the bubble chat feature to.
- Head over to “Explorer” at the left of your screen.
- Click on “Chat.”
- Go to “Chat properties.” You should see a “Behaviour” tab. Click on it.
- You’ll see a box named “BubbleChatEnabled”. Just tick the box to enable the chat.
It is that simple – you have now enabled BubbleChat for your game. This is an updated method. To disable the Bubble Chat, just untick the box in Step 6.
How to Enable Bubble Chat in Roblox
There’s also the old-school way to enable Bubble Chat in case you don’t see the “BubbleChatEnabled” box in the Chat properties. This version does include coding, but don’t worry ̶ it’s just editing a minor code. No mad programming skills are needed.
- Open a game you want to edit in Roblox Studio.
- Click the “Play” button from the main menu. Wait for the game to boot up.
- Head over to the “Explorer” to the left of the screen.
- Open the “Chat” section. Your game needs to be up and running for you to see all chat options, so make sure your game is booted on the central part of the screen.
- In the “Chat” section, open the “ClientChatModules” folder.
- Right-click on it and hit “Copy.”
- Pause your game by clicking the “Stop” button over at the top menu. It’s a red-squared icon.
- All you want to do now is paste the “ClientChatModules” folder into the Chat service. Right-click on “Chat” over at the Explorer and select “Paste into.” Now you have almost everything you need to enable Bubble Chat.
- Under the “Chat” section, double tap “ChatSettings.” You’ll see a bunch of codes on the main screen. Scroll down to line 27. It’s the line that says “module.BubbleChatEnabled = PlayersService.BubbleChat”.
- Delete whatever appears after the equal sign.
- Add the word “true.” Here’s what your line 27 should look like now: “module.BubbleChatEnabled = true”.
You have now successfully added Bubble Chat on your Roblox game! Head over to the main menu and hit the “Play” button to test the feature on your game. Just open the chatbox like you usually do and type something. Your message should now appear above your character’s head.
What Is Roblox Bubble Chat?
Roblox released the Bubble Chat feature in 2009 in addition to the classic chatbox. With this feature, the chat messages appear above the player’s heads in a speech bubble. Users don’t have to take their eyes off the gameplay to send and read messages anymore. This feature works great for all types of games, other than hiding games, as it will reveal the character’s location.
Therefore, if you’re playing a hiding game, you’d better stay quiet and not send any messages, or better yet, disable bubble chat for that game. Roblox reworked their Bubble Chat feature in 2020, and it now includes plenty of customization options such as:
• Controlling bubbles duration
• Changing the background color
• New visuals
• Animated transitions
• Maximum number of bubbles above one character
• Setting the distance at which to hide or minimize the bubbles.
How Do You Chat on Roblox.com?
It’s hard to imagine playing a game with your friends without being able to communicate at the same time. That’s why you can use Roblox’s chat box to send messages. To activate the chat, simply press the “/” key on your keyboard. If developers enabled the chat window for the game, it would appear on the left of your screen. Just type your message and hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
There’s another way to start chatting on Roblox. In the upper-left part of your screen, you’ll see a tiny chat bar that looks like a rectangle speech bubble with three white dots inside. Just click on it, and the chatbox will appear underneath it.
How to Disable a Chat on Roblox?
If you’re a player and you don’t want your fellow players to send you messages, you can disable the feature in a few simple steps.
• Log into your Roblox account.
• Go to “Account Settings.” You’ll get there by clicking on the gear icon at the right corner of the page.
• Go to the “Privacy” tab.
• Find the “Who can chat with me in game?” option and select “No one.”
• Scroll down and click “Save.”
How Do You Customize Chat in Roblox?
You can customize chats in Roblox via their Lua Chat System. If you set up a New Bubble Chat, you can customize it using the “SetBubbleChatSettings” in the Chat Service.
How Do You Change Chat Settings on Roblox?
If you’re a player and are looking to disable or limit chat messages, you can do so from your Settings page on Roblox. Simply head over to “Settings” > “Privacy” tab and adjust your “Contact Settings” and “Other Settings.”
If you’re a developer, you can change and customize your game’s chat settings in the Lua Chat System. You’ll find a dictionary called “ChatSettings.” You can find it inside the Chat game service, under the “ClientChatModules” folder.
You’ll be editing scripts by inserting values you find acceptable. Here are some of the hundreds of properties you can change/customize by changing their default value:
• Bubble duration. Default value – 15
• Chat font. Default value – Enum.Font.SourceSansBold
• Chat background color. Default value – Color3.new(0, 0, 0)
• Default channel name color. Default value – Color3.fromRGB(35, 76, 142)
• Maximum window size. Default value – UDim2.new(1, 0, 1, 0)
• General channel name. Default value – “All”
• Maximum message length. Default value – 200.
How to Message Roblox on Roblox?
The easiest way to contact Roblox is through a support form on their website. Just fill out all the boxes and wait for their reply. You can choose the type of help you need as well as the device you are running Roblox on. This way, they can provide you with the most accurate information for solving whatever issue you may have.
That said, their customer service is only available if you have a billing or an account-related question. For gameplay, site features, or other inquiries, they advise you to head over to Roblox Dev Hub. They have an extremely active developer community where you are most likely to find the answers you need. We highly recommend visiting Roblox’s hub where they also announce the latest updates.
Optimizing Chatting Experience With Roblox
Roblox is a fantastic place for entry-level game developers. You can design any game and have it tested for free by millions of passionate gamers worldwide. Roblox Studio may have been tardy in allowing developers to add Bubble Chat, but it is no longer the case, as you can now create and customize this great feature in a matter of seconds. In this article, we’ve shown you how to do just that.
Did you enable Bubble Chat the old or the new way? How did you customize your Bubble Chat? Let us know in the comments section below.