How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps
If you needthe exact coordinates of a specific location on a map, Google Maps is the mostefficient and accurate way to get them. You can also use Google Maps to find alocation based on its GPS coordinates.
GPS coordinateswill uniquely point to a location on a map, and you can use the coordinates toset up a meeting place or make sure your directions are correct.
In this article, we’ll show you exactly how to get GPS coordinates in Google Maps.
How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps on the iPhone
Google Maps ismost commonly used on the go. As users’ phones are often connected to theinternet, it’s easy to set up your GPS from your device. To get GPS coordinatesfor a location on a map, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Maps app.
- Tap and hold on an unmarkedplace on the map. You can use your finger to zoom in on the map and avoid otherpins.
- A red pin will appear onthe tapped spot.
- Tap Dropped Pin on thebottom.
- You will see itscoordinates in the menu. You can save these coordinates to your clipboard bypressing on them.
How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps on an AndroidDevice
Androiddevices are renowned for their ease of use, and Google Maps is no different. Ifyou’re using an Android, follow these steps instead:
- Open Google Maps.
- Navigate to the place you want to find the coordinates for. You can scroll and zoom with your fingers.
- Tap and hold on an unpinned place on the map.
- A red pin will appear on the spot.
- You will see the decimal coordinates in the search bar.
- You can press the search bar to copy these coordinates to your clipboard.
How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps on a Windows,Mac, or Chromebook PC
If you’reusing a PC, there’s no dedicated desktop app for Google Maps. However, you caneasily access it through any browser:
- Open your browser. Any browser will do the trick.
- Type in maps.google.com in the URL bar.
- Navigate to the place you want the coordinates for by using your mouse. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out.
- Right-click on the spot you need. In the menu, select “What’s here?”
- A small card will show at the bottom with details about the location. The GPS coordinates will be listed as part of the information.
If I have the GPS coordinates, how do I find the location in Google Maps?
You might be wondering what to do if you’ve been given a set of GPS coordinates instead of a location’s name. No worries, as Google Maps allows you to search its extensive maps solely by giving it a correct set of coordinates.
If you’re using a PC:
1. Open Google Maps on your browser.
2. Type in the coordinates in the search bar in the top left of the screen.
3. A pin will show up on the map corresponding to the location.
If you’re on iPhone or an Android:
1. Open the Google Maps App.
2. Type or paste the coordinates into the search bar on the top.
3. A pin will mark your desired location.
Google Maps will accept the following coordinate formats:
1. Degree, minute, second: 48°51’30.8″N 2°17’40.2″E
2. Degree and decimal minute: 48 51.5131, 2 17.6702
3. Decimal degree: 48.858552, 2.294504
Some information about decimal coordinates:
1. Use the period as a separator in the coordinate instead of a comma. For example: 48.858552 2.294504.
2. Use the comma to separate latitude and longitude.
3. List the latitude first and the longitude second.
4. Make sure the latitude number is between -90 and 90, and the longitude is between -180 and 180.
Can I also get latitude and longitude from Google Maps?
All locations on Google Maps are represented by pins. These pins can be the ones you made by pressing on the map or searching for a place. There are also pre-existing pins such as landmarks, recommended restaurants, or nearby hotels.
When you press a pin on the map, the latitude and longitude information will be listed on the menu. The data is shown in the full degree, minute, second (DMS) form, with the shortened decimal degree form below it. You can then send this information to someone else to provide them with correct directions.
How accurate are the GPS coordinates received from Google Maps?
Google receives images from a number of sources and puts them together to form Google Maps. According to Google itself, they claim to have an accuracy of at least 15 meters.
Considering 15 meters can be a lot, some scientific research has been done to verify and adjust those claims. They concluded that the offset could range between 1.5 meters and nine meters, depending on the area surveyed. Generally speaking, you can count that any given point might be several meters off.
Cities will have more images available, and Google will more frequently update their maps of urban centers than in the countryside. However, high buildings and signal interference can cause GPS locations to sway more in denser areas.
For everyday use, Google Maps will be accurate enough to allow people to meet up or provide directions. If you need a precise location of your house, for example, to settle a border dispute with your neighbor, you’ll need to contact your local surveyor instead.
Location, Location, Location
You can useGoogle Maps in so many situations, like getting to your dinner date on time.The GPS coordinates will make sure that you don’t get lost. However, Googledoesn’t offer 100% accuracy, as that’s impossible to do. But for daily use,Google Maps is an incredibly useful tool.
What do youuse Google Maps for? Do you have a set of favorite GPS coordinates? Let us knowin the comments section below.