How to Get the Transcript of a YouTube Video
YouTube transcripts are helpful for those with impaired hearing or those on the subway who want to listen to their favorite podcast. With an enabled transcript, you can read what the person is saying in the video, without even having to listen to the video itself.
If you’re interested in finding out how to get the transcript of a YouTube video on different devices, keep reading.
How to Find the Transcript of a YouTube Video on a Computer
Finding the transcript option for a YouTube video is relatively simple. However, not all videos will have transcripts. Only those with closed captioning allow you to see one. Keep in mind that many videos have automatic transcripts that may not always be of the best quality. But some video creators make their own transcripts, which are usually more accurate.
In general, the quality of the transcript depends on the audio clarity of the video, accents, dialects, etc. Here’s how to find the transcript if the video is with closed captioning:
- Open your favorite browser and launch YouTube.
- Log in to your account.
- Play the video for which you need a transcript.
- Click on the three horizontal dots below the video.
- Select “Open transcript.”
- The transcript will be visible on the right of the video.
Note: Below the transcript, you’ll probably see “English.” If you tap on that, there might be various language options, including “English (Auto-generated.)” It’s always best to choose “English” instead of the “Auto-generated” option for accuracy.
How to Download the CC Transcript of a YouTube Video
What if you watched a recipe on YouTube and would like to download the transcript for reference? Can you do that? Although there isn’t a “Download” button, it’s still possible to download the transcript:
- Once you’ve turned on the transcript, tap on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Choose “Toggle timestamps.”
- The transcript won’t include a time frame.
- Select the transcript like you’d select any text.
- Open the preferred app, such as “Notes” or “Word.”
- Right-click on the transcript to copy.
- Paste it to the document.
How to Get the Transcript of a YouTube Video on Phones
Phones don’t have the same option to find the transcript of a YouTube video as computers. Therefore, you can’t turn it on and see it on the side of the video. Instead, users can turn on CC or captions. Nonetheless, this function still enables you to see the words and understand what the video is about without having to listen to it.
Depending on the video, you’ll have a variety of languages available or only English. Closed captioning is usually accurate, with a small chance of errors.
Take a look at the steps below to turn on CC on a YouTube video:
- Open the YouTube app.
- Search for the video.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the video.
- Choose “Captions.”
- Select the desired language.
- Click anywhere on the screen.
- Play the video with CC.
How to Get the Transcript of a YouTube Video on Computers
If you prefer to see captions on the video, all you’ve got to do is turn on CC:
- Open the browser and launch YouTube.
- Click on the gear icon on the video.
- Click on “Subtitles/CC”
- Choose the language.
- Tap anywhere on the screen.
How to Get the Transcript of a YouTube Video for Every Video
If you often watch videos with CC, there’s no need to turn on captions for every video. Instead, it’s possible to enable the CC option for all videos when you’re watching them on a computer. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the browser and open YouTube.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the profile picture in the top right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to “Settings.”
- Find “Playback and performance” on the left.
- Under “Subtitles and Closed Captions,” enable “Always show captions.”
That’s it. All the videos you play on the computer will display subtitles.
How to Transcribe a YouTube Video With Google Docs
Downloading video transcripts isn’t an issue if there’s an available transcript. But in case there isn’t, you’ll have to resort to Google Docs and its voice feature. This handy tool does a fine job of transcribing the video. It might not be the best quality, but you can always go back to the video and make the necessary changes. Here’s how to transcribe the video with Google Docs:
- Open Google Docs.
- Click on the “Tools” tab from the main menu.
- Select “Voice typing.”
- A microphone icon will show on the left of the blank space.
- Open YouTube and find the video to transcribe.
- Now, go back to Google Docs and click on the icon.
- Play the YouTube video to start transcribing.
The only issue with this tool is that the transcribing time is the same as the video length. So if you need to transcribe a 30-minute video, it’ll take Google Docs the same amount of time to finish the process.
Besides English, Google Docs can transcribe other languages as well. Here’s how you can do it:
- Once you enable the voice typing, you’ll see a microphone icon.
- Find the language in the box above the microphone.
- Click on the downward arrow to see all languages available.
- Choose the language you need.
Is there anything we haven’t answered regarding YouTube video transcripts? If so, check out the section below for more info.
How Do I Create a Transcript for YouTube?
If you’re a content creator, making transcripts for YouTube videos should be one of your skills. Take a look at the steps below:
• Log in to your YouTube Studio.
• On the left, select the “Subtitles” tab.
• Tap on the video where you’d like to add a transcript.
• Choose “Add language” and choose your preferred language.
• Below the subtitles, select “Add.”
How Do I Convert a YouTube Video to Text?
There are many apps enabling users to convert a YouTube video to text. Some of the most popular ones are Rev Voice Recorder, Tami Record and Transcribe, etc.
Among these two, Rev Voice Recorder offers the best results because it’s possible to choose human transcription services, meaning transcriptionists will listen to a video and transcribe it for you. The other one utilizes speech recognition to provide transcriptions.
How to Transcribe Audio to Text for Free?
If you don’t need professional transcriptionists and premium apps to transcribe a video, you can simply download the transcription for free. Here’s how to do it:
• Open YouTube and the video you want.
• Tap on the three dots below the video to select “Open transcript.”
• Click on the three dots on the transcription.
• Select the transcription using the mouse.
• Right-click to copy it.
• Open the document where you want to paste it.
• Right-click and paste the transcription.
Why Should You Know How to Transcribe a YouTube Video?
Learning how to transcribe YouTube videos isn’t only beneficial for those with impaired hearing. It’s also a neat trick to remember whenever you want to check out a video but can’t hear it very well. For example, maybe you’re in a crowded environment like the subway or a busy café, or the speaker doesn’t operate clearly and coherently.
Hopefully, you won’t have any issues transcribing the videos in the future. Have you tried out this option yet? Was the transcription accurate? Let us know in the comments section below.