How to Transfer Google Photos to iCloud
Did you know that approximately 1,000 photos are uploaded to Instagram every second? If you add up the other social media apps and the pictures that people take but don’t post, and it would be a mind-boggling number that may not even be impossible to pronounce.
The unbelievable number of photos we take each day has us all in a constant search of an ideal online spot to store our memories.
Suppose you’ve recently switched to team Apple or you don’t like that Google plans to start limiting their previously unlimited storage. In that case, you may be considering migrating your photos from Google Photos to iCloud.
Read on and we’ll show you how to do this.
Moving Your Photo Library from Google Photos to iCloud
If you’re not downloading your whole photo library, but only some specific photos, you can use any device to open Google Photos. You can download the selected images to an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other smartphones, tablets, or computers.
If you’re using a PC or a Mac and your web browser, follow these steps:
- Open photos.google.com in your web browser. Log in to your Google account if asked.
- Click on the upper left corner of the desired images to select them.
- Press shift + D on your keyboard to download the selected pictures. Alternatively, click the More icon on the upper right corner of the window and select Download.
- Now you can proceed to import your images to iCloud.
- Go to icloud.com using a web browser and select Photos.
- Select the upload icon to import the previously downloaded images.
- If asked, select the photos or folders you want to upload.
How to Transfer All Google Photos to iCloud
The best way to download all your Google Photos at once is to use the takeout option. Read the instructions below to learn how to do this.
- Go to a web browser on your computer and enter takeout.google.com in the search field.
- Once you’re taken to the website, scroll down to find Google Photos. Check the box next to them.
- Click on ‘Next step’ at the bottom.
- Select the desired file size, type, and other options.
- Click on Create export.
- Feel free to leave the page or stay there if you want to track the progress. If you have a vast library, it may take days. You’ll be notified by email when it’s completed.
Once your library is downloaded to a device, you can then simply open the iCloud app and sync the photos.
How to Transfer Photos from Google Photos to iCloud on Android
The iCloud services are native to Apple devices. That means you can’t download the app to your Android phone, but there’s a workaround that may help you transfer your photos from Google to iCloud using an Android device.
However, be aware that even when you use this hack, your access may still be limited.
Before you start the transfer, you need to download your photos from Google to your Android phone. You’ll only have to do this if your backup & sync option hasn’t been enabled. Otherwise, your images are probably already located on your phone. You can transfer all your photos or only the selected ones. Once you’ve completed this step, you need to verify your browser. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Launch a browser and navigate to icloud.com.
- Enter your Apple ID and make sure you have one of your Apple devices nearby if you’re asked to follow through with the two-factor authentication.
- Confirm that you’re trying to log in using a trusted browser by tapping the blue Trust button.
- On the following screen, you’ll see a dashboard with three icons. Tap on Photos to see your library.
- Tap on Upload to upload new photos from your Android phone to your iCloud storage.
How to Transfer Photos from Google Photos to iCloud on iPhone
If you’re using your iPhone to transfer your photos, here are the steps you should follow. Using the Google Photos app for iOS devices makes this process one of the simplest ways to move your images.
- Within your iPhone settings (Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library), make sure the iCloud Library is enabled.
- Download Google Photos from the App Store.
- Type in your Google credentials to sign in to your account.
- Tap Photos and then tap and hold the desired photo or multiple photos.
- After tapping all the images you want to transfer, select Share at the top of the screen.
- Choose Save XXX Images, which will then be downloaded to your camera roll. This will automatically sync them with your iCloud storage.
In case there’s not enough space on your phone, move the photos in smaller batches.
How to Transfer Photos from Google Photos to iCloud on iPad
Follow the same steps as those described for iPhones to transfer your Google Photos Library to iCloud.
How to Transfer iCloud Photos to a Google Pixel
If you’ve switched to a Google Pixel phone, but you have a large iCloud photo library, don’t worry. You can use Google Photos to transfer it to your new smartphone.
- Download your iCloud library on your old Apple device.
- When done, download and install Google Photos on the same device, or use the Backup & sync app.
- Allow it to access your photos if asked.
- Select the desired quality for the images you’re going to sync.
- Select Confirm and wait for the transfer to finish.
Now that your photos are uploaded to your Google account, you can access them from any device, including your Google Pixel.
How to Transfer Google Drive Photos to iCloud
Google Drive is another storage space where you can keep your photos or other documents since it supports a wide range of formats. However, your photos won’t be added automatically – you will need to upload them.
The fastest way to move your photos from Google Drive to iCloud Drive is to use your Mac computer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on Finder and click on the Google Drive tab on the left.
- Choose the files you’d like to transfer.
- Find the iCloud Drive folder in the same sidebar, and then drag and drop the files from Google Drive to iCloud Drive.
- This action will delete the files from Google Drive, and you’ll be able to access them from iCloud Drive.
Is Google Photos Connected to iCloud?
These two services aren’t connected by default. What’s more, you can’t download the iCloud app if you have an Android-based mobile device, although you can access the service using a web browser.
Some users claim it’s impossible to transfer photos from one to another without downloading the library to a device first, but since many smartphone owners use the backup and sync option, it may work. However, if you want to automatically sync all the photos from Google Photos to iCloud, that option still doesn’t exist.
How Do You Download Multiple Photos from iCloud?
You can use your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to download selected photos or even your whole library from iCloud to your device. You can also use a computer, whether it’s a Mac or another PC. The steps may slightly differ depending on the device, but here’s what to do:
• Open a web browser and open the iCloud website.
• If asked, log in to your account using your Apple credentials.
• Click on Photos.
• Click on one photo and then press and hold CMD or CTRL to select other photos. If you’re using a mobile phone or tablet, tap on other images to select them too.
• On a phone or tablet, tap the three dots and then tap on Download. On a computer, click the cloud icon (the download button) on the top corner of the screen, then select Download to confirm.
How Do I Enable Photos on iCloud If I Have a Windows Computer?
Do you need to see your iCloud photos on your Windows computer too? If so, you can do this in a few easy steps:
• Download and install the iCloud app for Windows.
• Launch it on your computer and select Options next to Photos.
• Check the boxes next to iCloud Photos and Shared Albums.
• Select Done.
• Save the changes by clicking on Apply.
What Are iCloud Photos and Google Photos?
Since Google and Apple recognize that their users need to have large storage for their photos, they offer these two services to help them do just that. These online storage spaces both offer a lot of free space for you to upload your images and free up your phone’s or other device’s memory. They’re easily accessible, and you can transfer your photos between them.
How Does Google Photos Work with iCloud?
You can use Google Photos on any device, but the iCloud app is only available for Apple devices. However, you can use a computer to transfer your photos, or any macOS or iOS device. You might need to download the Backup and Sync app for your computer before you do this.
Carry Your Memories Wherever You Go
Google Photos and iCloud are both excellent choices to keep your memories close wherever you are. They have their perks and downsides, but the good news is that you can easily switch between them if you change your mind regarding what you want to use. You can use almost any device to do this, even an Android phone, where you can access the iCloud storage via web browsers. And unless you keep billions of photos in your library, which is virtually impossible, your transfer will be over sooner than you expect.
Have you already decided which storage space you’re going to use? Let us know in the comments section below.