How to Turn Off SafeSearch
If you share your gadgets with your kids, you’ve probably enabled SafeSearch to filter out inappropriate content. However, this limits the content you can view and can be annoying when you’re working.
Fortunately, switching off SafeSearch is a relatively simple process. In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know.
Turn Off Google SafeSearch on a PC
The internet is a source of endless information, not all of it appropriate for younger people. But SafeSearch can be limiting in some cases and you might want to turn it off. Disabling the Google SafeSearch feature on your desktop is easy.
- Choose “Settings” at the bottom left of your screen.
- Select “Search Settings” from the pop-up that appears and type “SafeSearch”.
- On the Content category, select SafeSearch.
- Click “Off.”
Turn Off Google SafeSearch on Web Page
Whenever you run a search on Google, you get a results page. Here you can navigate to the settings section and turn off SafeSearch.
- Go to SafeSearch settings at https://www.google.com/safesearch.
- Click “Turn Off.”
Turn Off Google SafeSearch on Android App
Turning off SafeSearch on your Android device isn’t as straightforward as on your desktop.
- Open your Google App.
- Click on your profile picture at the top-right hand of your screen.
- Select “Settings.”
- Choose SafeSearch.
- Select “Off.”
Switching SafeSearch off on Android Browser
- On your preferred browser, search for Google.
- Tap the Menu icon with the three lines on the top-left corner of your screen.
- Click on SafeSearch.
- Select “Off.”
Turn Off Bing SafeSearch on PC
Do you use Microsoft’s search engine Bing? Like Google, you can switch off its SafeSearch option if it’s limiting your use.
- Go to Bing.com.
- Click on the three-line icon at the top-right of your screen.
- Select SafeSearch.
- On the SafeSearch page, “Choose” Off.
- At the bottom of the page, “Save” your options.
Turn Off SafeSearch on Yahoo
If Yahoo is your search engine of choice, you don’t have to put up with SafeSearch. This is how you can turn it off.
- Run a search on Yahoo.com.
- Select the Menu icon at the top-right corner of your screen.
- At the bottom of the drop-down menu, “Click” Settings.
- Click on the SafeSearch box menu and choose “Off – Don’t filter results.”
- Scroll to the bottom and hit the “Save” button.
Turn Off SafeSearch on DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo prides itself on being a private search engine. Nonetheless, your searches are bound to present unwanted content, hence the SafeSearch feature. The downside to this is getting insufficient results.
To turn SafeSearch off, do the following:
- Run a random search.
- Under the toolbar near the top of your screen, go to settings click on “SafeSearch”
- Choose Off.
Alternatively, you can switch off SafeSearch from the DuckDuckGo settings area.
- Click the three menu strips at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select “All Settings” to open the Settings Page.
- Navigate to SafeSearch.
- On the drop-down menu, select “Off.”
Turn Off Safe Search on iPhone
The process an iPhone is different from a PC and Android devices. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to the Settings App.
- Select “Screen Time.”
- Navigate to “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Enter your passcode.
- Go to “Content Restrictions.”
- Tap on “Web Content.”
- Choose “Unrestricted Access.”
What if Turn off SafeSearch Doesn’t Work on Windows?
If you’ve tried turning off SafeSearch using the tips outlined above and it doesn’t work, here’s what you can do to fully access the web.
Running an outdated version of Windows can cause problems. Here’s how to update your system:
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to Windows Update.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Alternatively, you can schedule your updates to run when you’re not using your device.
Change System Settings
System settings affect the way your device operates. To disable SafeSearch, do the following:
- On the Start Menu, go to “Settings.”
- Navigate to “Privacy & Security.” click on “Search Permissions.”
- On SafeSearch, choose “Off.”
Create a Different User Account
If you’re sharing your devices with other people, you should have your own account with customized settings that no one will change. Here’s how to do it:
- On the Start Menu, Click on “Settings.”
- Go to “Accounts.”
- Click on “Add Accounts.”
- Select “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.”
- Go to “Add a User without a Microsoft Account.”
- Follow the prompts to create your account.
- Set up your SafeSearch as highlighted in the section above.
Change Group Policy Editor
If you still haven’t managed to turn SafeSearch off, do the following:
- Open the “Run” dialogue box by pressing “Win+R.”
- Type gpedit.msc and Hit “OK.”
- The “Local Group Policy Editor” window will pop up.
- Go to “Computer Configurations” and then “Administrative Templates.”
- Choose “Windows Components” and then go to “Search.”
- Open the “Set the SafeSearch” settings for “Search.”
- Choose “Not Configured.”
- Restart your device and test whether SafeSearch is disabled.
Use the InPrivate Mode
You can use the InPrivate Mode on Microsoft Edge browser to turn off SafeSearch, particularly if you find that the SafeSearch settings is locked.
- Launch Microsoft Edge and use Control+Shift+P to access the InPrivate window.
- Pick a search engine and use the instructions of “Turn Off SafeSearch on Bing” to disable it.
Disable Third-Party Anti-Virus Software
Anti-virus software might interfere with your SafeSearch feature. Turn on your anti-virus software and test whether it affects your SafeSearch change.
What if SafeSearch Doesn’t Work on iPhone?
If you’ve followed the method of turning off SafeSearch on your iPhone and it’s not responding, do the following:
- Restart your iPhone to clear any glitches on your device. Try turning off the SafeSearch using the steps provided in the “Turn Off Safe Search on the iPhone” section.
- Ensure your iPhone is updated. Using an older version can be problematic. Go to your settings app and check for updates.
- Turn off parental control settings. To do so, go to your settings app, navigate to screen time, then Content & Privacy Restrictions, Web Content, and then switch off “Limit Adult Websites.”
- Contact Apple. If nothing works, Apple should help you to solve your problem.
What kind of content does SafeSearch block?
SafeSearch is designed to filter out searches that you don’t want to see. However, it doesn’t always work that way as people still get to see results they don’t want.
Why can’t I turn off SafeSearch?
There are different factors that cause this problem. Your account may be locked or your settings set on “Filter.” Also, your software might need to be updated to accept new changes. Depending on is the nature of the issue, check the solutions provided in the article to solve your problem.
Surf the Web Without Restrictions
Turning off SafeSearch is a straightforward process that shouldn’t take you long. While you’ll enjoy the benefits of not having any restrictions and be able to access everything, you will come across inappropriate content. If you have kids then think about having dedicated gadgets for them that are separate from yours.
Have you ever turned off SafeSearch? If so, did you use any of the tips and tricks featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.