How to Unlink Facebook from Instagram
Facebook acquired Instagram back in 2012. However, it is only recently that a “From Facebook” message has appeared on your Instagram loading screen. Way before that, Facebook users were able to link their accounts to their Instagram pages. This makes simultaneous sharing easy and brings ease to a number of other things.
Still, receiving double Instagram message notifications from both Instagram and Facebook can be annoying. If you do not care too much about linked accounts, unlinking Facebook from Instagram might be your best bet. Here’s how to do it.
How to Disconnect Facebook from Instagram
Most people access social media using their smartphone or tablet devices. Indeed, the desktop web version of the Instagram app is more or less redundant. And while people tend to use Facebook on their mobile devices as well, it’s not unheard of for some to access their Facebook pages using their Mac or PC.
Here’s how to unlink your Facebook account from Instagram.
From Your Mac or PC
Instagram users can easily unlink their two accounts with a few steps from a web browser. First, you’ll need to visit Instagram’s website. Here’s how to unlink your two accounts using the Instagram website:
- Log into Instagram and click on your profile icon in the upper right-hand corner. Then, click on ‘Settings.’
- Scroll down this page and click on the blue ‘Accounts Center’ hyperlink in the lower left.
- Locate your account and click on the three horizontal dots to the right.
- Click on ‘Remove from Account Center’ in the pop-up window. Then confirm.
Now, your accounts are unlinked. But, what if you don’t have access to your computer? Fortunately, you can also unlink your accounts on the Instagram app too.
From Your iOS or Android
Let’s get one thing straight. Don’t try doing it via the Facebook app. There isn’t an option that allows you to disconnect your Facebook account and your Instagram page on Facebook.
In fact, the only way to unlink the two is using the Instagram app, and on mobile or tablet platforms at that. Of course, you can do it via an iPhone or an Android device. And it pretty much works the same.
- Navigate to the Instagram app and tapping your profile picture to go to your account.
- Go to the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) and tap the icon.
- Tap on ‘Settings.’
- Find the ‘Account Center’ and tap to enter it.
- Tap on the ‘Accounts & Profiles’ selection.
- On the following page, you will see a list of your accounts. Tap on your account.
- Tap ‘Remove from Accounts Center.’
- Select Yes, Unlink, in order to confirm.
- Voila! You’ve successfully unlinked your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
How to Remove Instagram Posts from Facebook
Even when you have unlinked the two, you will notice that your Facebook profile will feature some posts from Instagram. This is because you have selected the option that allows you to share every post that you share on Instagram on Facebook as well.
The fact that you have unlinked your Facebook profile and your Instagram page does mean that your Instagram posts will no longer be automatically shared on Facebook. However, it does not mean that your previous Instagram-linked posts will be deleted.
This is because all the previously auto-shared posts were automatically turned into Facebook posts. They become separate entities from their Instagram twins. This means that things such as comments, reshares, and likes do not translate between the two. This also goes for deletion.
To remove Instagram posts from Facebook, you will have to delete them manually. Clearly, this is done from your Facebook account, not from Instagram.
Using the Android/iOS App
Run the Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet.
Navigate to your profile by tapping the profile icon in the menu in the upper/lower part of the screen (depending on whether you are using an Android or an iOS device, respectively).
Alternatively, go to the home screen on Facebook and tap your profile image next to the status posting bar in the upper part of the page.
Then, follow these steps:
- Once on your profile, you will need to go to the Instagram Photos album. To do so, scroll down on your profile page until you see the Photos entry.
- Tap it, and you will see a list of Photos of You.
- In the upper part of this page, you will get to choose between different folders. Go to the Albums folder.
- In this view, navigate to a folder titled Instagram Photos. You will see a list of your posts from Instagram.
- To delete these posts, tap on each photo separately, go to the three-dot menu.
- Click on the option to ‘Delete photo.’
This might be slightly annoying, particularly if you have a lot of photos in the album. Fortunately, there is another way to do it.
By using your desktop web browser, you will be able to quickly delete the entire Instagram Photos folder, without having to go through repetitive deletion patterns.
To do this, go to Facebook.com on your favorite browser. It’s irrelevant whether you’re accessing it using a PC or a Mac device. Now, regardless of whether you’re using the Classic Facebook or the New Facebook mode, things work pretty much the same. Go to your profile by selecting it from the left-hand list or by clicking on your profile photo next to the status entry bar.
Go to Facebook.com on your favorite browser. It is irrelevant whether you are accessing it using a PC or a Mac device. Regardless of whether you are using the Classic Facebook or the New Facebook mode, things work pretty much the same.
- Go to your profile by selecting it from the left-hand list or by clicking on your profile photo next to the status entry bar.
- On your profile page, you will see a quick list of items about you. If the Photos menu is apparent, select See All to the right. If not, go to the More tab and select Photos.
- Go to the Albums tab. Here, you will also find the Instagram Photos folder.
- Click on the Instagram photos.
- In order to delete it entirely, navigate to the three-dot icon to the right and select Delete Album.
- Confirm by clicking Delete Album.
There you have it! All Instagram posts – removed from your Facebook profile!
We’ve included this section to answer more of your most frequently asked questions.
How can I change the Instagram account linked?
Well, you can link multiple Facebook pages and a Facebook profile to your Instagram account. Facebook pages are linked to accounts, so whichever Facebook account you link to Instagram will also bring the involved pages to the table.
Now, to change the linked Facebook account on your Instagram, unlink the current one, and link the new one, carefully following the outlined instructions.
However, you can choose where you want the Instagram posts that you share to appear. By navigating to Linked Accounts in your Instagram app (as explained earlier), under Facebook, go to Share to.
Here, you will get to select whether you want the simultaneous shares to appear on the linked Facebook profile or on one of the pages that are linked to the Facebook profile in question. Select whatever meets your preference.
Will disconnecting Instagram from Facebook remove the posts from Facebook?
As mentioned earlier, no, it won’t. The fact that you’ve unlinked your Instagram account from Facebook doesn’t mean that the Facebook posts get deleted. As explained above, this is because the moment your Instagram post is auto-shared to Facebook, it becomes a separate entity of sorts. In other words, it becomes a Facebook post that can only be manually deleted from Facebook itself.
Should I unlink everything?
Using social media has become a skill all of its own. Some people prefer their Instagram posts being reshared on Facebook, while others would like to keep things separate. This goes for other Instagram-linkable platforms as well. Use Instagram to your own advantage, and you will know whether and what you need to unlink/link.
Disconnecting Facebook from Instagram
Even though Instagram is now under the Facebook umbrella, there still might be a reason why you would prefer to unlink the two. Maybe you do not want your Facebook page cluttered. Maybe you are posting different types of content on the two. Whatever the reason, as long as you use the right platform, unlinking Facebook from Instagram is quick and easy. Just stick to the Instagram app, and you are all good.
Have you found this helpful? Have you managed to unlink your Facebook profile from your Instagram page? Maybe you have run into some inconveniences? Feel free to let us and our community know by joining in on the discussion in the comments section below.