Why Is One Contact at the Top in iMessage?
iMessage offers various ways to help you manage your texts, including search filter options and pinning conversations. When a conversation is pinned, the contact will move to the top of the messages. There are several ways to pin a contact, so it could be that you’ve accidentally activated the pin feature.
Read on to find out how conversations are pinned and how to unpin them.
How to Pin Messages
Here are three ways a conversation can be pinned using your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the iMessage app.
- Press and hold a conversation to pin to the top of your messages.
- Tap on the “Pin (contact)” option.
- Launch iMessage.
- Swipe right on one of your conversations.
- Press the yellow pin icon displayed on the left of the conversation.
This method also works when you continue swiping to the right and ignore the yellow pin.
- Open iMessages.
- Toward the top right, tap the three-dotted menu and choose “Edit Pins.”
- Yellow pins will appear to the right of your conversations. Tap the yellow pin beside the conversation you want to pin to the top.
How to Unpin Messages
Here’s how you unpin a conversation:
- Launch the iMessage app.
- Press and hold on to the contact icon.
- In the pop-up menu, tap “Unpin.”
Alternatively, if you have pinned conversations you want to unpin, you can:
- Tap the “Edit” menu icon toward the top left.
- Tap “Edit Pins.” The pins will start to jiggle, and a gray minus icon will display on the top left of each.
- Tap the gray minus sign on the pinned chats you want to unpin.
- Hit “Done” to clear the yellow pins beside your other contacts.
Unpinning Pinned Conversations
The iMessage app helps you manage your text messages through features like search filters and pinning conversations. Your pinned messages will reside above the rest of your messages for easy access. There are several ways to pin a message, so it’s easily done without realizing it. Luckily, you can access the unpin option by long-pressing the contact icon or going through the edit menu. If you don’t mind having pinned conversations, you can have up to nine.
Were you able to unpin your conversation? Tell us what you think about the pinned conversations feature in the comments section below.