How to Find Contacts on Instagram
One of the key features of Instagram is to create connections among users. People can easily find and connect with a large community, whether these are through mutual friends, interests, or used hashtags. All it takes is a few simple clicks.
Suppose you’re interested in finding new contacts on Instagram. In that case, this article explains how to link device contacts, connect to Facebook contacts, and search for people so you can start following new and exciting profiles.
How to Find Contacts on Instagram using iOS/iPhone
Assuming you want to connect to more people on Instagram, you can use your phone contacts, as well as your Facebook Friends list. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the “Instagram app.”
- Click on your “profile icon” to open the “Profile” page.
- Click on the “hamburger icon,” then click on “See All” next to Discover People.
- Tap the “Connect to Facebook” or “Connect Contacts” option. You can do both by repeating all steps for the other choice later.
- Select “Allow Access” in the popup window, and your contacts begin to synchronize.
Note: You can also use Search to find more people. Tap on the “magnifying glass icon” at the top of the screen and search people by their username, place, or tags. You’ll always have various profiles to scroll through under the “Search” box to find someone new to follow.
How to Find Contacts on Instagram using Android
If you made a new Instagram profile, haven’t used it in a while, or you’re just eager to find more people to follow, you can use your Google Contacts list and your Facebook Friends list on Instagram. Don’t worry. You still must “Follow” them to add them to your “Following” list. Here’s how to add Google Contacts and Facebook Friends to Instagram using Android.
- Open the Android Instagram app, then click on your “profile icon” in the bottom-right section to open your Profile page.
- In the “Discover People” section, tap “See All.”
- Tap on “Connect Contacts” at the top, then go to the next step. You can also choose “Connect to Facebook” and then skip to “Step 6.”
- To allow contacts access, tap on “Allow Access.”
- After connecting Instagram to Google or IOS Contacts, browse “Top Suggestions,” which is first in the list, or head to “Most Mutual Connections” underneath it.
- When you find a person on the list that you want to add to your Instagram account, tap “Follow” or tap on the “profile” first for verification, then tap “Follow” from there instead.
- Return to “Top Suggestions” or “Most Mutual Connections,” then tap “See All.” Select “Connect to Facebook” at the top to link more contacts to Instagram.
If you find that your Google account’s Contact list didn’t add much to Instagram, you may need to access a different Google account in your “Contacts” app or change your default account on Android. Check your contacts first to see what gets stored under the current main account. For instance, your primary Google account may not be the one with most of your contacts, or the existing main account on your Android device is not your real main account.
When we tested the process out on Android 11, we had to go to “Contacts,” tap the vertical ellipsis (vertical three-dots), choose “Select All,” and then add or merge contacts from a different account.
Contacts Not Showing Up on Instagram
Some contacts may not show up on Instagram based on the available information. For instance, a name with an old phone number or a mailing address won’t have any practical or usable information. In addition, a contact that has not registered for an Instagram account won’t display either.
Furthermore, Instagram only provides recommendations based on your contacts and those with an active Instagram account with any credentials from your contact details. Instagram can also use Facebook information to populate your search lists, such as their phone number or email address. In summary, some of your contacts will show up in the list to follow, while others won’t.
How to Find Instagram Contacts on Windows, Mac, or Chromebook
When you open Instagram on your computer, here’s how you can find new contacts:
- In the upper right corner, click on the “compass icon.”
- On top of the new page, use the “Search box” to type any profile name or personal name and find the profiles you want to follow.
How to Find Instagram Contacts by Phone Number
Here’s how to find new people on Instagram using their phone number:
- Save someone’s phone number in your contacts list on your phone.
- Open “Instagram” on the phone where you saved the number.
- Go to the “Profile” page.
- Click on the “hamburger icon” (three lines), and you’ll see the menu tab on the right.
- Tap on “Discover People,” and you’ll see an option to connect your account with Facebook or your phone contacts.
- Choose “Connect” and allow Instagram to access your phone or Facebook contact lists. Here, you’ll also see profile suggestions.
If someone didn’t use their mobile phone to register their account, you most likely wouldn’t be able to find them through the contacts list. In that case, it’s best to use the “Search” option.
Adding Contacts through Instagram Search
You can also add people directly to Instagram based on a username or real name.
- Click the magnifying glass at the bottom on Android/iOS or the search bar at the top on a PC browser, then type the name.
- Results appear and get populated based on connections and other algorithms.
Bear in mind that the person may not have associated/registered Instagram with the actual name or username you have synced on your device. You can also search Instagram by tags or places, but that process makes it more challenging to find what you want.
In closing, finding and adding your contacts on Instagram has never been more straightforward. All you need to know is where to look for them, and Instagram developers have made sure that it’s just a click away. Once you know all the tricks, you’ll have your family and friends as Instagram friends.
Finding New Instagram Contacts FAQs
Finding people on Instagram make the platform more interesting. Here are some more answers to your frequently asked questions.
What do I do if Instagram’s Find Contacts isn’t working?
When you allow Instagram to upload all your phone contacts, you should see them on the app or through the browser. Since contacts get synchronized periodically, give it some time. If you still can’t access any of them, you’ll have to disconnect contact syncing and reconnect it.
Open Instagram and click on your profile photo. Click on the “hamburger icon” (three-line icon) and select “Settings.” Go to “Account and Contacts Syncing.” From there, turn off syncing and click on “Disconnect.” This option deletes all your contacts, leaving your list empty.
Why is Find Contacts on Instagram blank?
At times, syncing contacts may not run smoothly, and your contact list might remain empty. The only way to solve this is to disconnect and reconnect your contacts’ synchronization a few times.
Finding friends on Instagram is really easy! Especially when you connect your contacts to the social media platform. Did you connect your contacts to your Instagram account and reconnect with new and old friends? Let us know in the comments below!