How to Find Contacts on Instagram
One of the key features of Instagram is to create connections among users. Whether these are through mutual friends, interests, or hashtags they’re using, people can easily find and connect with a large community. All it takes is a few simple clicks.
If you’re interested in finding new contacts on Instagram, we’ve got you covered. This article explains how to link device contacts, connect to Facebook contacts, and search for people so you can start following new and exciting profiles.
How to Find Contacts on Instagram using iOS/iPhone
Assuming you want to connect to more people on Instagram, you can use your phone contacts, as well as your Facebook Friends list. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Click on your profile page and open the Profile page.
- Click on the three lines icon and click “Discover People.”
- When you click on “Allow Access,” your contacts will start synchronizing, and you’ll get to decide who you want to follow on Instagram.
Also, you can use Search to find more people. You can tap on the magnifying glass icon on the top of the screen and search profiles by their username, place, or tags. You’ll always have various profiles to scroll through under the Search box and potentially find someone new to follow.
How to Find Contacts on Instagram using Android
If you made a new Instagram profile, haven’t used it in a while, or you’re just eager to find more people to follow, you can use your Google Contacts list and your Facebook Friends list on Instagram. Don’t worry, you still have to “Follow” them in order to add them to your “Following” list. Here’s how to add Google Contacts and Facebook Friends to Instagram using Android.
- Open the Android Instagram app, then click on your “profile icon” in the bottom-right section to open your Profile page.
- In the “Discover People” section, tap on “See All.”
- Next, tap on “Connect Contacts” at the top. You can also choose “Connect to Facebook” (skip to “Step 6”).
- To allow contacts access, tap on “Allow Access.”
- After connecting Instagram to Google or IOS Contacts, browse “Top Suggestions,” which is first in the list or head to “Most Mutual Connections” underneath it.
- When you find a person on the list that you want to add to your Instagram account, tap “Follow” or tap on the
“profile” first for verification, then tap “Follow” from there instead.
- Return to “Top Suggestions” or “Most Mutual Connections,” then tap “See All.” Select “Connect to Facebook” at the top to link more contacts to Instagram.
If you find that your Google account’s Contact list didn’t add much to Instagram, you may need to access a different Google account in your “Contacts” app or change your default account on Android. Check your contacts first to see what is stored under the current main account. For instance, your main Google account may not be the one with most of your contacts, or the current main account in your Android device is not your real main account.
When we tested the process out, we had to go to “Contacts,” tap the vertical ellipsis (vertical three-dots), choose “Select All,” and then add or merge contacts from a different account. This process was performed on Android 11.
Contacts Not Showing Up on Instagram
Some contacts may not show up on Instagram based on the available information. For instance, a name with an old phone number or just a mailing address won’t have any useful or usable information. In addition, a contact that has not registered for an Instagram account won’t display either.
Furthermore, Instagram only provides recommendations based on your contacts and who has an active Instagram account with any credentials from your contact details. Instagram can also use Facebook information to populate your search lists, such as their phone number or email address. In summary, some of your contacts will show up in the list to follow while others won’t.
How to Find Instagram Contacts on Windows, Mac, or Chromebook
When you open Instagram on your computer, here’s how you can find new contacts:
- On the upper right corner, you’ll see a compass icon.
- Click on the icon, and it will open a “Search” page.
- On top of the page, there’s a Search box, where you can type any profile name or personal name to find the profiles you want to follow.
How to Find Instagram Contacts by Phone Number
Here’s how to find new people on Instagram using their phone number:
- Save someone’s phone number on your contacts list on your phone.
- Open Instagram on the phone where you saved the number.
- Go to the Profile page.
- Click on the icon with the three lines, and you’ll see the menu tab on the right.
- Tap on “Discover People,” and you’ll see an option to connect your account with Facebook or your phone contacts.
- Choose “Connect” and allow Instagram to access your phone or Facebook contact lists. Here, you’ll also see profile suggestions.
However, if someone didn’t use their mobile phone to register their account, it’s highly likely that you won’t be able to find them through the contacts list. In that case, it’s best to use the “Search” option.
Adding Contacts through Instagram Search
You can also add people directly to Instagram based on a username or real name. Simply click the magnifying glass (bottom) on Android/iOS or the search bar (top) on a PC browser and type the name. Results will populate based on connections and other algorithms. Bear in mind that the person may not have associated/registered Instagram with the real name or username you have synced on your device.
You can also search Instagram by tags or places, but that makes it more challenging to find what you want.
What to Do If Instagram’s Find Contacts Isn’t Working
When you allow Instagram to upload all your phone contacts, you should be able to see all of them on the app or through the browser. Since contacts get synchronized periodically, give it some time. If you still can’t access any of your contacts, you’ll have to disconnect contact syncing and reconnect it.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eHere’s how to disconnect contact syncing on Instagram:u003cbru003e• Open Instagram and click on your profile photo.u003cbru003e• Click on the three-line icon and click u0022Settings.u0022u003cbru003e• Go to u0022Accountu0022 and u0022Contacts Syncing.u0022u003cbru003e• There, turn off syncing and click on u0022Disconnect.u0022u003cbru003e• This option will delete all your contacts, leaving your list empty.
Why Is Find Contacts on Instagram Blank?
At times, syncing contacts may not run smoothly, and your contact list might remain empty. The only way to solve this is to disconnect and reconnect your contacts’ synchronization a few times.
Connecting Through Instagram
Finding and adding your contacts on Instagram has never been more straightforward. All you need to know is where to look for them, and Instagram developers have made sure that it’s just a click away.
Once you know all the tricks, you’ll have all your family and friends as Instagram friends. Do you use Instagram to communicate with your family, or do you only use it for friends? How do you find new contacts on Instagram?
Let us know in the comments section below.