How to Add a Link to Instagram Stories [includes PC instructions]
Adding links directly to Instagram Stories has become more accessible with the addition of the Swipe-up option. But it’s only available to verified creators and business accounts with more than 10,000 followers. However, there’s a workaround. Instagram is currently testing a link sticker available to everybody that could replace the Swipe-up tool altogether.
Discover how to add links to stories on various devices with Swipe-up, the link sticker, and other alternatives.
How to Add a Link to an Instagram Story on the iPhone
Here’s how to add a link using the Swipe-Up tool:
- Launch Instagram and hit the Stories camera.
- Select the content to upload from Camera Roll or take a video or photo.
- Choose the link icon; it’s at the top of the screen.
- Paste the URL and press Done to finish up.
Helpful Notes: You can only add one Swipe-up link to a story. When a follower views the story, some text and an arrow will show up at the bottom of the screen. The link will open when they swipe up. This allows you to track link metrics.
- Access Instagram and open the Stories camera.
- Choose content from the Camera Roll or create something new.
- Navigate to the stickers tray and search for the link sticker.
- Select the link sticker and paste or type your link on the pop-up page.
- Drag the sticker to reposition it or pinch it to make the sticker smaller or bigger.
- Choose your color by tapping the designated icon (currently, there are only three colors).
- Hit Done and you’re good to go.
Important Note: Since the link sticker is still in the test stage, it might not be available to everybody.
How to Add a Link to an Instagram Story on the Android App
- Open the Instagram app and then access the Stories camera.
- Select videos or photos from your Gallery or record new content.
- Select the link icon and paste the URL into the designated field.
- Tap the checkmarkicon.
Business Tip: With Instagram Shopping, you can add direct links to products where followers can make an order. Or, you can direct them to your Instagram shop.
- Launch Instagram and access the Stories camera from the top of the screen.
- Record content or select videos or photos from Gallery.
- Choose the sticker tray and look for the link sticker.
- After you’ve selected the sticker, add your link to the designated field.
- Reposition and resize the sticker to your preferences by pinching and dragging.
- Choose the link color you want and hit the checkmark icon once done.
How to Add a Link to an Instagram Story from a PC
Instagram wants you to use the mobile app to upload content, Stories included. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t add a link to a Story if you’re willing to use a little extra effort. If you really need to use your PC to post, there’s a workaround via Google Chrome. You’ll have to set up Chrome to access Instagram stories before you can add links.
- Open Instagram in Chrome.
- Click on the More menu (three vertical dots) in the upper right corner of the browser window.
- Select More Tools from the drop-down menu, then click Developer Tools.
- In the developer window, click the Mobile button.
- Select the type of mobile device that you want to use from the drop-down menu in the window toolbar. (The default setting is Responsive)
- Refresh the browser and you’ll see the mobile interface chosen. The Your Story option will appear, just like using the app.
The following assumes you’ve already launched mobile Instagram via Chrome browser.
- Click the Your Stories option to record or upload a story.
- After uploading or recording content, click the link icon.
- Type or copy-paste the URL.
- Complete the action by clicking the checkmark or Done.
Note: You’ll see Done or a checkmark depending on the type of mobile device selected in the browser toolbar. The checkmark is for Android and Done is for iOS devices.
- Select Your Story and upload or record your content.
- Click the sticker tray and navigate to the link sticker.
- Add your URL in the link sticker window.
- On a PC, you can only reposition the sticker unless you have a touchscreen.
- Select one of the three colors and click on the checkmark icon.
Tip: Your PC is better for uploading than recording the content. The built-in camera might not work well enough.
Remember: Instagram is still testing the link sticker option so it might not be available on your device.
What to Do if All Else Fails?
There’s an option to add an inactive “Link in the Bio” sticker and direct users to the links there. But there’s a limited number of permissible links, so this might not be the best option for large e-commerce operations, for example.
There are some limitations to adding links to Instagram Stories, particularly if you don’t have a large following. But then, it shouldn’t be that hard to reach 10,000 followers as long as you post quality content.
Also, Instagram might make the link stickers available across the board, making linking much easier. Until that happens, you can keep growing your profile and find creative ways to add links.
Which method do you prefer? How many followers have you gotten to click on the links?