How To Use Instagram Stories Link Sticker
Instagram Stories deliver bite-sized snippets to help spark curiosity in your original content. This is where link stickers come in. You can use them as a call to action to redirect viewers to the full version of your content without leaving the app. As such, the link sticker can help you generate more engagement and drive traffic from Instagram to your other sites.
If you don’t know how to use the link sticker, we’ve got you covered. This article will explain everything you need to know.
How to Use Instagram Stories Link Sticker
How you use links on Instagram Stories has changed over time. Initially, you could add a link in the bio, which was inconvenient because you had to change it every time you posted a new story.
Later, Instagram introduced the swipe-up feature, which viewers could tap or swipe up to go to the linked site without leaving the app. However, this feature was only for verified accounts with over 10,000 followers. So, users who didn’t meet this requirement remained stuck using “Link in bio.”
Instagram phased out the Swipe-up feature and introduced the Link sticker to standardize all users. It’s accessible by anyone, and you can customize it to make a more direct call to action. Also, you have several themes to make the sticker more appealing.
Here’s how to add the link sticker to your Instagram Stories:
- Launch your Instagram app and tap your “Profile picture” in the top left corner to create a new story. Alternatively, tap the “Add” icon toward the right at the top and tap “Story” at the bottom on the next page.
- Swipe up to select a photo or video for your story from your camera roll. Alternatively, hit the “Record” button to record your story.
- After preparing your story, move to the top and select the “Sticker” icon. This will display all Instagram story stickers. Locate the “Link sticker” (a rectangle with a chain and the word “Link” in blue) and tap it.
- A new page will appear, prompting you to add a link. On the URL section, type or paste the link to the site you want your audience to view.
- Instagram shortens your link automatically to display where it’ll take the viewer. Tap “See preview” beneath the URL to see how it’ll appear on your story.
- If you don’t want to add more details, scroll down to the “Sticker text” section on the same page and type your text. For example, click here to shop. This is crucial. It lets your audience know what action the link will prompt them to do.
- After you finish, tap “Done” in the top right corner to publish your link on your story. When you return to your story, you’ll find the link added. Blue is the default link color. Tap on the link to switch to a transparent or black-and-white color.
- When your story is ready, tap “Your story” in the bottom right corner to publish it.
Creating a Custom Instagram Stories Link on Canva
One thing you might dislike about Instagram Stories link stickers is their appearance. Plus, you don’t get an option to customize the button shape and to change the colors to match your preferences. Fortunately, you can create a link button on Canva and paste it on your story.
Here’s how you do it:
- Launch your browser and log in to your Canva account. If you don’t have an account, create one for free.
- On the Canva home page, move to the top right corner and tap “Create design.” Choose “Instagram story” from the drop-down menu and wait for your blank design to load.
- When your design loads, go to the sidebar tools and tap “Text.” Hit the “Add a text box” button.
- Type the text you want to appear on your link. When you finish, go to the toolbar options at the top and customize the font style, size, and alignment. Hit the “A” button with a colored line beneath to change the font color.
- Navigate to the side toolbar and tap “Elements.” Type the shape you want in the search bar and select it when it appears in the search results.
- Drag the corners inward or outward to fit the text into the shape perfectly.
- If you like how the button turns out, go to the top right corner and tap the “Share” button. Hit the “Download” option and choose to download your design as a PNG. Also, check the box for “Transparent background” and tap the “Download’ button.
- If you’re using a Mac, airdrop the design to your iPhone. For a PC, you can import the design to your smartphone using a USB cable or any other method.
Now that you have your Canva link design on your phone’s Gallery, you can apply it to your Instagram Stories.
- Create your story and add a link, as explained in the method above.
- When your story is ready, tap the “Sticker” icon and choose the link button you designed on Canva.
- Drag the link button and place it over the link on your story. The link remains active even when blocked. So, if someone taps the button on top, they’ll be redirected to the linked site.
Best Practices When Using Instagram Stories Link Sticker
How you add a link to your Instagram Stories directly impacts how your viewers interact with it. Here are some best practices to help you get the most out of your Instagram Stories link sticker:
- Place the link sticker centrally: Your goal should be to make your link sticker noticeable and to encourage viewers to engage with it. As such, you should place it within the safe zone to prevent it from being cropped or cut out when you publish your story. The safe zone is any area within 1080 x 1420 pixels. This means you should leave an allowance of 250 pixels at the top and the bottom of your story. The other area within is where your link should be.
- Use a clear call to action (CTA): Your CTA should convey what viewers should expect after clicking the link. For instance, if you want your audience to learn more about your products, your CTA could be “Tap here to learn more.” Also, your story should be related to the link you’re sharing to maintain consistency.
- Keep your story uncluttered: Although Instagram allows one link sticker per post, you can add other non-link stickers to your post. However, you should use them sparingly to increase the chances of users noticing the link and to keep your story visually appealing.
- Draw an arrow to enhance visual engagement: Drawing an arrow to point where viewers should click can make your story more visually interesting. To draw an arrow, tap the “Draw” icon at the top and select the “Arrow” button pointing up.
Use the Link Sticker to Drive More Engagement
Instagram Stories aren’t appropriate for long-form content. However, you can optimize them by adding the link sticker. By tapping the link, your audience can view more detailed content information. This way, you can use the link sticker optimally to drive more traffic to your content.
How often do you use the Instagram Stories link stickers? Have they helped you to boost engagement with your audience? Let us know in the comments section below.