How to View Blocked Accounts in Instagram
There are many reasons why you might block someone on social media platforms like Instagram. Likewise, there are many reasons why you might want to unblock them. Whether it was an accidental block, or something that happened in the spur of the moment, you’ll need to access to their account again. Fortunately, this is a relatively straightforward process.
This article will explain how to find the list of blocked accounts on Instagram.
How to Find the List of Blocked Accounts on Instagram
If you want to unblock someone on Instagram, you don’t have to type in each individual user name. Regardless of whether someone is sending you spam, posting something you don’t want to see, or simply annoying you, all blocked users end up on the same blocked list.
However, the list of blocked accounts on Instagram is only accessible on iPhone and Android devices.
If you own an iPhone, you can easily access the list of blocked accounts on Instagram in just a few steps. Here’s how it’s done:
- Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Click on your profile photo in the bottom right corner of the display.
- Tap on three horizontal lines in the top right corner.
- Click on “Settings and Privacy” in the pop-up screen.
- Go to the “Who can see your content” section and select “Blocked.”
- There you’ll see a list of blocked accounts.
For Android users, you can find the list of blocked accounts on Instagram in the same way.
- Open the Instagram app on your Android phone.
- Tap on your profile photo in the bottom right corner of the display.
- Click on three horizontal lines in the top right corner.
- Selects “Settings and Privacy” in the pop-up screen.
- Scroll to the “Who can see your content” section and click “Blocked.”
- There you’ll see a list of blocked accounts.
In this section, you can also unblock accounts by clicking on the “Unblock” button next to their username. Alternatively, you can block more accounts by clicking the “+” in the top right corner and typing in their username. You’ll have the option to block their account and existing and future accounts. Unfortunately, this won’t apply to the accounts that you already follow, and you might need to block them separately.
In addition, if you allow the Accounts Centre to connect your experiences across multiple platforms, Instagram allows you to see the list of suggested accounts to block. This means that the accounts connected to the accounts you’ve blocked on Facebook or Meta accounts will be suggested in your block list on Instagram.
Instead of blocking, you can also restrict accounts or block them from commenting on your posts. However, all three actions are different. For that reason, make sure that you’re familiar with what they entail beforehand.
How to Find the List of Blocked Accounts on My Teen’s Instagram
Instagram helps parents and teenagers make their online experience safer and prevents them from engaging in potentially harmful situations. If you’re a concerned parent who wants to access their teen’s list of blocked accounts, simply follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone and log into your account.
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom right corner.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top right corner to access “Settings and privacy.”
- In the “For Families” section, tap “Supervision.”
- Under “Accounts,” select the account whose block list you want to access.
- Go to “Account info” and click “Blocked accounts.”
How to See the List of Blocked Commenters
A great feature on Instagram is being able to turn off comments on posts or limit them only to those users who follow you, who you follow, or both. This is useful when you want to prevent spam, hate comments, or just wish to control who comments on your posts. However, you can also just block certain users from commenting on your posts.
- Launch the Instagram app on your phone.
- Click on your profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Go to “Settings and privacy.”
- In the “How others can interact with you” section, select “Comments.”
- Click “Block Comments From.”
- Now you can see accounts that are prevented from commenting on your posts.
Note: You can also add more people you want to stop from commenting on your posts or unblock anyone you previously blocked by tapping the “Unblock” button next to their username.
Do bear in mind that this isn’t the same as blocking. The users will still be able to see your content. In addition, their past comments will be visible to everyone, but their new comments won’t be visible to anyone but them.
What Happens When You Block and Unblock Users
Blocking and unblocking users will let you see their profile and interact with their content again. However, there are changes that you might not be able to bring back.
Profile: If you block someone, neither of you will be able to see each other’s profiles or the number of followers and posts. When you unblock the user, you’ll have to follow each other again.
Messages: If you’ve chatted with a user before blocking them, they’ll still be able to message you, but you won’t receive their messages. Even after unblocking, those messages won’t appear in your inbox. If you delete their chat from your inbox, they’ll appear in your message requests once you unblock them.
Likes and comments: When you block someone on Instagram, all their likes and comments on your posts will disappear. In addition, they won’t be able to see your likes and comments on their posts, but they’ll be able to see them on posts of other user’s accounts. Even after you unblock them, their past likes and comments won’t be restored.
Tagging: A blocked user won’t be able to tag you on their posts. If you change your Instagram username, it’s possible for them to tag you, but only if they know your new username.
How to Know if Someone Blocked You on Instagram
Instagram doesn’t allow users to see who blocked them, but there are ways to know if a particular user you’ve interacted with has added you to their block list.
- Their username doesn’t appear in the search bar: If Instagram doesn’t suggest the user’s profile as you type in their username in the search bar, chances are that they’ve blocked you.
- Check your DMS: If you’ve messaged the user before, try going to their profile through your DMs. If the profile is empty, they might’ve blocked you.
- Check from another Instagram profile: If you can access a user’s account from your friend’s or your second Instagram account, you’ll see whether they’ve blocked you. If you can’t, they might’ve deactivated instead.
- Try typing in their unique URL in browser’s address bar: If you type in instagram.com/username and an empty profile shows up, it means the user has blocked you.
- Try mentioning or tagging the account: Instagram doesn’t allow blocked users to tag the account that blocked them, so if nothing happens when you type in the username of the person that you think blocked you, it might be that they have.
Will other people know that I blocked them?
Instagram doesn’t allow people to see if someone has blocked them for reasons such as retaliation, revenge, etc. When someone has blocked you, they can’t access your profile or content you post either, so there’s no need to block them back. Note that there are ways to guess or conclude that you’ve blocked someone, but it would require some previous knowledge about that account.
What happens to the likes and comments of a person I blocked on Instagram?
When you block someone on Instagram, their likes and comments on your posts disappear. Note that unblocking the user won’t restore them.
How is restricting an account different from blocking?
When you block a user, you can’t contact them on your Instagram accounts until you unblock them. When you restrict a user, they’re unable to see your activity status or whether you’ve read their messages. Furthermore, their messages will be moved back to Message requests, and you’ll be warned before entering a group chat with a restricted user. Lastly, you won’t get any notifications about their new comments on your posts. They’ll only be visible to them unless you tap “See comment” or “Approve” to let others see them.
Improve Your Instagram Experience With Easy Blocking and Unblocking Tools
If you wish to unblock someone you’ve blocked on Instagram but don’t remember their username, it might be difficult finding them by only using the search bar. Fortunately, Instagram provides a list of all the accounts you’ve blocked, regardless of the reason. You can access it by following the steps in this article and easily find the users you want to locate.
Have you already tried accessing the list of blocked accounts on Instagram? If so, did you use any of the tips featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.